Ideas Community Meetings: Discord vs TeamSpeak

carter227

TTT>JB
=(eG)=
I like Teamspeak way better in almost every way. For meetings, I like when I see the roles. Also, for Discord some people are hard to find out who it is because you can choose your name.

heidi

♡𝘔𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘚𝘦𝘭𝘧 𝘐𝘯𝘥𝘶𝘭𝘨𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦
Manager
i prefer ts, but discords fine, i mean both do the job haha.

I just think ts is a bit more practical for these big kinda things, because discord i like a bit more for a smaller groups of people.

either way it gets recorded after, and there is notes on the meeting if you hate both options :] poggu

Shalom

Famous Poster
=(eGO)=
I’m unsure if this has been said because I haven’t read every response, but about having it on both platforms: the reason I’d assume it’s hosted on one platform is to streamline the discussion between non-leadership and those that wish to ask questions. It’s a lot easier to ask and answer questions on Discord, but TeamSpeak is just a nicer program overall. I personally vote that we use TeamSpeak and still direct questions towards a Discord text channel.
TL;DR: TeamSpeak. Use Discord to ask questions.

nitrospam

who cares
=(eG)=
Now for some insight, people are forgetting one of the main reasons why we use discord, accessibility. A lot of active members in this community use TeamSpeak and love it, myself included. But when I first joined, I didn't even know about the TeamSpeak for a year, and only downloaded it 6 months after that. To people who never have used it, it has the stereotype of notoriously old software and it appeals like that too. But when you say in a game server that we are having a community meeting on discord, chances are people are more likely to ask for an invite than to make fun of the software. As well, once you do join, most average players are much more familiar with navigating discord instead of navigating Teamspeak. Essentially, we are making it so much easier for less active members of the community to learn more about what we do as a whole. And in the end, that's good, no matter which way you look at it.
ts is better for organization, but again its about appealing to less involved players

The majority of the community uses TS for voice, it's mostly pubs that like discord.
yes, precisely. so what's the point in all this organized recruitment we have if we aren't trying to get more pubs involved in the community

Why Discord? Simply because of its ease-of-use: A modernized interface makes things much more accessible to the average user (by that, I mean somebody who is new to both, not somebody who grew up accustomed to one or the other).
exactly. I prefer TeamSpeak because I'm used to Teamspeak. but I'd bet if you went into all of our servers and asked "hey if we're going to have a big meeting, would you prefer it on Discord or Teamspeak" I have a good feeling the latter would be blown in the dust.

TL;DR as much as we can argue about technical advantages or disadvantages for both, we have to remember that we aren't just appealing to members who are experienced in using both discord or Teamspeak.

ghost

i love you ♥
=(eGO)=
Another thing I wanted to add, rarely is there anyone in voice channels in the discord. The chats are used but the voice channels are not often used. Whenever you hop on teamspeak, many many people are in voice channels and interacting. Teamspeak is an easier way to bring the community together I think and if we host the meetings in Teamspeak, it opens up the oppurtunity for more newer community memebers to start adapting to the environment of it and possibly join the server more often. Yes people like discord more because theyre used to it more, but the TeamSpeak is used more for hanging out with friends and voice interactions whereas Discord is not. I think its an easier way to draw people into opening up to use TeamSpeak and interacting with the community in easier ways

nitrospam

who cares
=(eG)=
Another thing I wanted to add, rarely is there anyone in voice channels in the discord. The chats are used but the voice channels are not often used. Whenever you hop on teamspeak, many many people are in voice channels and interacting. Teamspeak is an easier way to bring the community together I think and if we host the meetings in Teamspeak, it opens up the oppurtunity for more newer community memebers to start adapting to the environment of it and possibly join the server more often. Yes people like discord more because theyre used to it more, but the TeamSpeak is used more for hanging out with friends and voice interactions whereas Discord is not. I think its an easier way to draw people into opening up to use TeamSpeak and interacting with the community in easier ways
this is a good point, when i did start using TeamSpeak, it was because of the community meeting I had gone to in October of last year. probably wouldn't have met the friends i have now without it

Maruchan

Forum Addict
=(eGO)=
Another thing I wanted to add, rarely is there anyone in voice channels in the discord. The chats are used but the voice channels are not often used. Whenever you hop on TeamSpeak, many many people are in voice channels and interacting. Teamspeak is an easier way to bring the community together I think and if we host the meetings in Teamspeak, it opens up the opportunity for newer community members to start adapting to the environment of it and possibly join the server more often. Yes, people like discord more because they're used to it more, but the TeamSpeak is used more for hanging out with friends and voice interactions whereas Discord is not. I think it's an easier way to draw people into opening up to use TeamSpeak and interacting with the community in easier ways
Here's the thing: the people talking in TeamSpeak are those who use TeamSpeak, as Nitro mentioned. The others either don't talk at all or are typically on a call with their friends in Discord.

This does bring up another point in regards to using TeamSpeak: we who use Discord can chat with our friends simultaneously in Discord during the meeting! That sounds so cool, like whenever Larry slips up (can't mention a certain punk-free moment) we can laugh so loud with our friends! For example, literally every single JB gang has their own Discord, as do many groups in other servers and divisions.

Also, why should we be forced to use TS3 if these days, most of us use a more modern platform? It's like when everybody started using Zoom out of nowhere because school districts liked it I guess.

TL;DR, just because we hardly use the voice channels doesn't mean we don't use Discord.

Interesting point nonetheless!

ScaryLarry

I'm unoriginal.
=(eGO)=
As stated multiple times throughout multiple posts "pubs" arent in TeamSpeak because they don't know how to use it. Id personally love to see a video from media on the ways to access it, (it being ts) and maybe some of the settings you might have to change, maybe go over the channels or what you might find where (channels how to make a DS channel how to join a DS channel etc etc)

If there isn't one already cuz I got no idea

Last edited:

M4A1-S

I need to go outside
Senior Manager
This may be the case for most divisions/"Game groups", but I know World of Warships and believe Destiny 2 are all integrated on discord with very little Teamspeak use anymore. There's always a couple of guys in the Warships voice rooms and we always bug people to join us, I would argue that we're also probably closer than most other games due to us being left alone for a few years and finally coming back to the community like 6ish months ago.
Our choice to use discord was the ease of communication between clan members and we could have more people join and talk about Warships or join us in divisions easier than trying to get them in Teamspeak. It took us a long time to get transitioned over to discord, and even longer to use the eGO main one so I would not recommend just throwing everyone to one platform. We also can bug more people extremely quickly as barely anyone has TeamSpeak or is logged into the forums all the time just refreshing waiting for a ping.
I don't believe that we will ever get everyone over to a single platform, we will always be fragmented with the decision between the platforms. However, we should still decide on one platform and record it for publication to people who don't join either platform.

This whole argument is dumb because it assumes one platform has a clear advantage over the other and should be the new norm when clearly both platforms are fundamentally different in how they operate.
I must agree with kuantum's statement no matter how much he annoys me with soundboards. It is like comparing apples to oranges, or even M4's to AK's. I have nothing more to add, Our opinions will still be our opinions, but we all know Discord or TS beats skype and I think we can all unite on that front.

ghost

i love you ♥
=(eGO)=
Another point to make:
If we're doing this for the convenience of the new members whats the point in having the long time members around if youre not gonna listen to what we all want ? majority of this thread answers that they like TeamSpeak better and prefer it. I get we're looking at all aspects but if youre not gonna consider what the majority of your committed members want, whats the point ? We all adapted to the TeamSpeak meetings and how this community works as new members. shouldnt the new members now do that ? Why are we adapting to them rather than them adapt to how we are and how we work as a community ? The whole point of the community meetings are to keep the members up to date. Why are we not listening to the actual members on what they want if this meeting is for the members of the community. Newer members are hesitant with TeamSpeak, yes, but its just because it takes some getting used to. You adapt to using it and grow to realize its perks.
And im not saying dont try to appeal to ALL members new and old. Im saying literally almost everyone in this thread says teamspeak. why are we not listening to them when they have been around longest and have been involved for a long time. And yeah sure us old members can adapt to switching to Discord, but overall, Teamspeak is just so much better for all these reasons. Discord is not built for big communities like us and yall are just making it more difficult on yourselves to be hosting them in Discord.
Additonally, talk power. Something that is not as simple in discord as it is teamspeak. it allowed for a much easier conversation. Much easier to interact and discuss things as a community. You can request talk power and be granted it so much more easier which allows for better communication. I dont know why were making this more difficult for ourselves than it has to be.

Michael Bolton

This is America
=(eGO)=
I must agree with kuantum's statement no matter how much he annoys me with soundboards. It is like comparing apples to oranges, or even M4's to AK's. I have nothing more to add, Our opinions will still be our opinions, but we all know Discord or TS beats skype and I think we can all unite on that front.
So, I'm finally getting that Skype meeting I was promised?

Also, the TS vs Discord for meetings isn't just "which platform do you prefer" because I still use Discord way more than I use TS. I'm on discord whenever I'm home, but I'm only on TS for about 2 hours every week. It's about which one do you feel is better suited for meetings. It's very probable that not everyone has been arguing it that way, but I have. I've tried very hard to make that clear too. I like Discord and prefer Discord over TS in almost every way. But, when it comes to meetings, TS is far superior. You can very clearly see who your leaders are (because it does matter to know who they are) and you get a chance to request talk power so you can verbally speak to those leaders easily. When it comes to this argument, it is a lot of opinions for the most part, but opinions of the community should matter right? If they don't, then why are any of us still here? If your opinions about how to make the place you're putting time and effort into don't matter, then you're wasting your time. Thankfully, that has not been the case for the many years this community has been standing, but it is something to think about before anyone tries to shut down an argument of preference (not referring to you M4. Just speaking in general)

kuantum

🍔Arbiters? Intern🍔
=(eGO)=
Another point to make:
If we're doing this for the convenience of the new members whats the point in having the long time members around if youre not gonna listen to what we all want ? majority of this thread answers that they like TeamSpeak better and prefer it. I get we're looking at all aspects but if youre not gonna consider what the majority of your committed members want, whats the point ? We all adapted to the TeamSpeak meetings and how this community works as new members. shouldnt the new members now do that ? Why are we adapting to them rather than them adapt to how we are and how we work as a community ? The whole point of the community meetings are to keep the members up to date. Why are we not listening to the actual members on what they want if this meeting is for the members of the community. Newer members are hesitant with TeamSpeak, yes, but its just because it takes some getting used to. You adapt to using it and grow to realize its perks.
And im not saying dont try to appeal to ALL members new and old. Im saying literally almost everyone in this thread says teamspeak. why are we not listening to them when they have been around longest and have been involved for a long time. And yeah sure us old members can adapt to switching to Discord, but overall, Teamspeak is just so much better for all these reasons. Discord is not built for big communities like us and yall are just making it more difficult on yourselves to be hosting them in Discord.
Additonally, talk power. Something that is not as simple in discord as it is teamspeak. it allowed for a much easier conversation. Much easier to interact and discuss things as a community. You can request talk power and be granted it so much more easier which allows for better communication. I dont know why were making this more difficult for ourselves than it has to be.
Ah yes, because we sure like telling our newer members (who have the same amount of say as an older member) to just not participate in our meetings because they don't want to download an about 18-year-old piece of software to just listen to voices for an hour and a half and never open it again

It really should not be this big of a deal to just move over to Discord, the last couple of meetings were fine in my opinion. It's a learning experience for everyone. Of course, everyone prefers TS but you cripple divisions like D2 and WoWS and literally any pub in any division who want to listen to what's coming up for eGO.

I'm an advocate for using both platforms because of this. It's harder to make people get hooked into the community if we can't, as a community, make concessions for everyone. Everyone's opinion matters but if the opinion is exclusive and not mutual for everyone, then that opinion shouldn't be the solution.

ghost

i love you ♥
=(eGO)=
No one's "say" in this community should be bigger than anyone else's opinion. This was my counterpoint and something I think should be noted. Management shouldn't act on personal feelings without some sort of community feedback, something I feel like you should be able to agree with.
That wasnt the point of my thread that it should be bigger or smaller of a say. Im saying we need to listen to what everyone is trying to say because the majority of this thread has said TeamSpeak and many other people have said it as well. That was my point. Because it seems like this is what the majority is saying and a small amount of people say discord, so why do we listen to the discord suggestion when the majority is TS is my point. Community feedback was teamspeak and it has been for a bit so idk why that isnt being listened to. They not only make it harder for themselves permission wise, they make it harder for everyone in the community trying to learn who is who, what their ranks are etc. I never said someones opinion should have a bigger say i said that it feels like dedicated members feedback seems to just be disregarded because the focus is new members. Additonally, I was saying that we were all new members once and may have disliked the idea of the use of TeamSpeak, but we adapted to it because it was the communities way and we learned to see the good side of it. Im not saying we cant all grow to adapt to Discord because im sure we can, but overall it seems were trying to adapt to new members rather than involving new members in the TeamSpeak and were trying to appeal to them when in reality, if they were truly interested they would make an effort to download teamspeak to stay updated. If they didnt care enough, they could always check the forum post that is later posted for summarizing.
Ah yes, because we sure like telling our newer members (who have the same amount of say as an older member) to just not participate in our meetings because they don't want to download an about 18-year-old piece of software to just listen to voices for an hour and a half and never open it again
Downloading it for the meeting opens them up to the people within the TeamSpeak that may use it often. It opens up new form of communication and interaction with other members and it all may start with that one meeting. Like I stated before also, if it was to "just listen to voices for an hour and a half" then it obviously isnt that important to go to in the first place and it would be a waste of time anyway , right ? I just think we should consider how I know alot of people may have started which was with not a very open mind to using TeamSpeak. I just think its a nice way to communicate with everyone, an easier way for meetings to run smoothly, and a good way to start growing more involved with community, as it is where communication for events are held, and social interactions.

Maruchan

Forum Addict
=(eGO)=
I feel like I've said all that I needed to say in my argument, but I would like to acknowledge the points that @kuantum has brought up, they are pretty fruitful.

TomSL

TOM SOLES
Senior Manager
To summarize the points made by each individual, so that we can move on with the discussion is as follows:

@ghost - Believes in majority rules.
@kuantum - Advocates for using Discord or both platforms.
@Michael Bolton - Advocates for using Teamspeak: argues that it's better formatted for our meetings.

Any unfaithful arguments to the discussion going forward will end up getting this thread locked, and you won't end up getting the answers you desire.

Apt

That British Guy
=(eGO)=
+1 for Discord

Discord doesn't disconnect for use of a VPN.

Privacy and security focused persons such as myself currently have to find workarounds or compromise our operational security so that we are able to partake in community events, discussions and general conversation. Don't get me wrong, Discord also isn't the best of platforms for us folk. However the focus there is based around telemetry and so fourth and is easily manageable... adding on an extra residential connection to your current 8 hops isn't as viable.

The necessity for VPN detection on TS3 is something that cannot be argued, this isn't the case for Discord as it does not exist. #FreeTheTinFoilHats?

TomSL

TOM SOLES
Senior Manager
+1 for Discord

Discord doesn't disconnect for use of a VPN.

Privacy and security focused persons such as myself currently have to find workarounds or compromise our operational security so that we are able to partake in community events, discussions and general conversation. Don't get me wrong, Discord also isn't the best of platforms for us folk. However the focus there is based around telemetry and so fourth and is easily manageable... adding on an extra residential connection to your current 8 hops isn't as viable.

The necessity for VPN detection on TS3 is something that cannot be argued, this isn't the case for Discord as it does not exist. #FreeTheTinFoilHats?
I feel like I trust a barebones app, with community hosted servers, rather than a global app with their servers hosted by them -- specifically -- when it comes to OPSEC;

Especially considering Discord is funded by Tencent; and we don't need to go into politics to know why that's a bad idea.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/dicord-funding-150million/

nitrospam

who cares
=(eG)=
Im not saying we cant all grow to adapt to Discord because im sure we can, but overall it seems we're trying to adapt to new members rather than involving new members in the TeamSpeak and were trying to appeal to them when in reality, if they were truly interested they would make an effort to download TeamSpeak to stay updated. If they didnt care enough, they could always check the forum post that is later posted for summarizing.
Downloading it for the meeting opens them up to the people within the TeamSpeak that may use it often. It opens up a new form of communication and interaction with other members and it all may start with that one meeting.
I quoted these 2 separately because I have different opinions on both.

In terms of ghost's second statement, I'm going to copy an old reply I made on this thread. "this is a good point, when I did start using TeamSpeak, it was because of the community meeting I had gone to in October of last year. probably wouldn't have met the friends I have now without it " (shoutout to the squad). This may very well happen as it happened with me, but ever since then, every one of those members who followed that same path as me (being active on TS, forums, servers, and specialty teams) has either been promoted to admin or just fallen out of the community altogether. So of course this is a good instance, but it's definitely not a common one considering not every single active member has to be an admin.

In terms of adapting to new members, I understand that it may seem that we're "ignoring" the opinions of our more active members for those who "aren't interested enough". But in reality, I doubt that the community management team has ignored the voices of everyone who has wanted to switch back to Teamspeak since the first Discord meeting in April. And in terms of interested people making the effort to download Teamspeak, I'd say that is an opinion with only assumptions to back it. And here's why

So jimmy is on jailbreak and wants an e tag. I proceed to steam message jimmy https://edgegamers.com/join and tell him to follow all the steps including making a forum account. So 24 hours pass and now he has an e tag, he comes into the game, sees he has it, and then rolls around with the tag. Now here's where the first split comes.

forum application response.PNG

When your application to eGO is first accepted, this is the message you are greeted with. It has awesome information about getting involved in the community, like learning how to get promoted, getting connected to Teamspeak, and a thread talking about how to get in contact with LE and MS. But wait, when I, the member who is making the effort to join Teamspeak clicks on that link! It takes me to an error page. Let's say only 50% of applicants click that link, they don't get anything out of it. Now, let's say 50% of those members decide to further pursue finding out how to connect to Teamspeak. Maybe they could ask in our Discord server! But where do they figure out what the link to our discord server is? It isn't on the front page anymore, and the links on their response go nowhere. At this point, nearly 85% of new members who apply have most likely closed out of the forums and headed back onto the servers (The other 15% found the New to EdgeGamers? - Start Here page). Now after a week of playing, Jimmy loses his =(e)= tag and asks the server what happened? After someone tells him MAUL marked him as inactive and he needs to sign-in on the forums, he goes to the website and scrolls down to Counter-Strike. If he's lucky enough to come at a time where the most recent post is announcing an event later that night, he can click on it and see another way for people to get involved in the community. But oh no! It's on Teamspeak, which as covered most people don't know how to get to or just don't care about. So again, he logs off the website, plays for another week, and the process repeats.

Now nitro, you may ask, why do you tell us all this information when it doesn't pertain to a community meeting?

Great question. Originally, Michael Bolton made a post that said every member of the community can see the forums because they have to come through the forums to join. Sure, every member does have to come through the forums to join, but as explained above, it doesn't mean that they will use them. And even if we are lucky enough to have a member who is interested and wants to get really involved in the community, the tools we give them are lackluster because they either don't work, are too confusing, or just simply don't interest them any further.

As stated multiple times throughout multiple posts "pubs" arent in TeamSpeak because they don't know how to use it. Id personally love to see a video from media on the ways to access it, (it being ts) and maybe some of the settings you might have to change, maybe go over the channels or what you might find where (channels how to make a DS channel how to join a DS channel, etc)
@ScaryLarry Video coming Soon™

Section 1 TL;DR | The voices of active members most likely aren't being ignored, and we aren't adapting to members who aren't interested in getting involved in the community further. Considering joining our Discord is still a way of getting further involved, we should at least try and hear out their voices too. Not every member uses the forums even if they go through them to make an application. When we say that the majority of people in this thread have voted for Teamspeak, we're also forgetting that the number of people who have replied on this thread is less than 20, which definitely doesn't speak for the majority. As well, after chilling in the discord channel for a couple days with @Maruchan like I typically would in Teamspeak, we had a few people join who I had never seen before, and they were all super cool and chill! In terms of getting new members involved, we should work on getting those links fixed in whatever system replaced DAPS, work on bringing back the old forum Home page as seen here (Which Don already said is in the works by the way so that's nice), and try to figure out a way of restructuring things to make it really easy for new members to meet new people and to get involved, including the way people perceive current inactive members which might become the LE of the future. Can't judge a book by its cover!

But, when it comes to meetings, TS is far superior. You can very clearly see who your leaders are (because it does matter to know who they are) and you get a chance to request talk power so you can verbally speak to those leaders easily. When it comes to this argument, it is a lot of opinions for the most part, but opinions of the community should matter right?
It really should not be this big of a deal to just move over to Discord, the last couple of meetings were fine in my opinion. It's a learning experience for everyone. Of course, everyone prefers TS but you cripple divisions like D2 and WoWS and literally any pub in any division who want to listen to what's coming up for eGO.
In my personal opinion, only taking into consideration what I want, I prefer Teamspeak. TS3 is fairly easy to navigate once you know what you're doing. It's voice quality is superior, the permissions system is much more customizable, and the ability to grant and request talk power just puts it on top for me. But Teamspeak is old. Even if TS3 looks more modern, it still shares a resemblance with its previous versions hailing from the turn of the century. I know how to navigate Teamspeak because I use it every day, I know that its voice quality just can't be beaten because I have heard it for myself. And like Michael said, it is important to know who your leaders are, and the ranking system in Teamspeak allows you to much better see that. Honestly I like both, but I would prefer it on Teamspeak if I only cared about myself.
This does bring up another point in regards to using TeamSpeak: we who use Discord can chat with our friends simultaneously in Discord during the meeting! That sounds so cool, like whenever Larry slips up (can't mention a certain punk-free moment) we can laugh so loud with our friends! For example, literally every single JB gang has their own Discord, as do many groups in other servers and divisions.
Woah, this idea's so awesome I would pay to have it! Let me just go grab my moms credit card.

All jokes aside though, this is what it comes down to, for me at least, at the end of the day. I just want to talk to some people during the meeting, congratulate my friends through more direct means, laugh at a joke someone cracked. Whatever platform does get chosen at the end of the day, I just hope people are still happy. You decide how to look at this at the end of the day, so try and make the best of it.

3dsam1

Website Addict
Manager
When your application to eGO is first accepted, this is the message you are greeted with. It has awesome information about getting involved in the community, like learning how to get promoted, getting connected to Teamspeak, and a thread talking about how to get in contact with LE and MS. But wait, when I, the member who is making the effort to join Teamspeak clicks on that link! It takes me to an error page. Let's say only 50% of applicants click that link, they don't get anything out of it. Now, let's say 50% of those members decide to further pursue finding out how to connect to Teamspeak. Maybe they could ask in our Discord server! But where do they figure out what the link to our discord server is? It isn't on the front page anymore, and the links on their response go nowhere. At this point, nearly 85% of new members who apply have most likely closed out of the forums and headed back onto the servers (The other 15% found the New to EdgeGamers? - Start Here page). Now after a week of playing, Jimmy loses his =(e)= tag and asks the server what happened? After someone tells him MAUL marked him as inactive and he needs to sign-in on the forums, he goes to the website and scrolls down to Counter-Strike. If he's lucky enough to come at a time where the most recent post is announcing an event later that night, he can click on it and see another way for people to get involved in the community. But oh no! It's on Teamspeak, which as covered most people don't know how to get to or just don't care about. So again, he logs off the website, plays for another week, and the process repeats.
This is an issue and I believe we are already looking into or have changed the links.
As for the rest, everyone has valid points, however the way I see it, I enjoy using Teamspeak for talking to friends from eGO, I use discord for IRL friends and they both have their pros and cons. Teamspeak is a older platform, not many new people are using it, while alot of people already have discord downloaded. Even though we may prefer to use teamspeak alot of the older also have discord downloaded which means they can access the meeting. IIRC we have been getting more people showing up to the meetings on discord, more questions being asked and there seems to be more new members or pubs. As nitro has stated we need to advertise our discord and I feel it wouldnt be a bad idea to include that in our welcome message as well. So in short, while Teamspeak may be cleaner, discord simply is easier to download, use and more people have it (new and old) which allows for a broader range of members to show up to the meeting and have their voices heard.