CM's take on 10 years of ego

FirezFury

Poster Extraordinaire
Community Manager
10 years in the making....my journey through EGO

I meant to write this when i got to my 10 year anniversary with EGO. I never got around to it until recently. I don't know if this will mean anything to anyone but I wanted to give my take on 10 years of this organization has done for me, and at some point maybe for you. When i joined, EGO was still small but growing, we had DOD:S, CS:S, and TF2. I was an e. I would come on play some CS, I really liked Zombie Escape MOD. CS was my home for a few years, it wasn't until maybe a year in where I finally decided to actually get into Ventrilo to chat with some of the players. People just like me, with the same passion for video games. I was introduced to some people, Cryptex, Hoodie, Legend, Iamevilbear, who later became really good friends during that time. I was removed from my parents house, going to college, working full time and living with a friend. EGO was my escape, it allowed me to relieve the stress of the day and just enjoy my time with my friends. Things were simpler then. I received my G and then my O within a week or two, I spent a lot of time hanging out with the CS leadership at the time and honestly really enjoyed learning from them the right and wrong of how EGO did things. I spent hours admining Jail and Dust2.

After a few years I was given the opportunity to help Minecraft stand on its own feet. I transferred to MC from CS at the recommendation of a friend, and after becoming Advisor I didn't want to let him down. I put my foot on the gas and worked hard alongside a lot of great Event Coordinators. The event program for MC was the hardest job I think I've ever had to do in my EGO history but for you, the players of Minecraft, we always wanted to be great, to give you the opportunity to relax and escape your daily stress. I found some amazing people along the way. Foxy, Jade, Witch_Doctor, IDK_Lobsters, Summer, Acefire, Russo, and Diglett to name a few. I kept pushing and pushing, new events, server updates/resets. I moved up to DL and then eventually CM, I even at one point handled all the server configs myself for a few months by hosting a personal server tinkering and then re-uploading them to the main server, it was stressful, I burnt myself out. It didn't feel like players were appreciative of the work we were doing, and we were under constant scrutiny by players to make changes and leadership to be successful, on top of all the technical issues we were having. I was getting messages at 2 am and phone calls while at work, I spent countless nights eating dinner at my desk working through problems, adding more stress and less enjoying myself. I took my foot of the gas, I felt like I got to a dead end at the road, something had to change. I learned to lean on my team more, to communicate better and eventually trust my team mates. I look back now and am truly grateful with how well that team really stuck together and our constant commitment to each other to be there for one another. Leaving MC was bittersweet for me, I felt I was to overbearing, I knew I needed to let go of the reigns and allow Jade and the rest of the team to make decisions without the need for my approval, Jade grew to become an amazing leader, assertive and more confident in her decision making than I had ever seen her before, I taught her all I could, she was deserving to run MC and It wasn't fair to sit in her way. I was sad to go but proud of how far the team had come, I felt I did my best and now MC was in good hands. I was going to step down until Ripplytiger left and Member Services needed a CM. I figured I could help. Andrew and the rest of the team spoke about if they would accept my transition to MS. They agreed. I moved here and met some amazingly hard workers, who all do their best. I realized just how well Andrew had MS operating. I took a hands off approach to watch and learn how they did things, if I objected to something I said so but those were few and far between. The team wanted my approval, but I wanted them to be confident in their decision making. I feel like after some time it worked. One thing stood out no matter where I went however, that is every leadership member was dedicated and passionate to making EGO a better and safe place for YOU the members.

Being CM for so long I've learned a lot of things, its changed me as a person, and in a way helped me grow. We are not perfect, we all make mistakes. Just because we are leadership doesn't mean we don't sometimes fail the standards set by our peers or ourselves. I've done some wrong, i hope more right. For the wrongs I've said or done I can only say I learned from them, I apologize, and please forgive me (Soupy, especially to you). I've dealt with plenty bans, a lot of hackers, insane amount of attention seeking children, the gratefulness of spending time with friends, and the fear of being the one to help those who wanted to end their lives. To help just ONE of YOU made what I sacrificed worth it all. It diversified my thinking. It allowed me to put my big brother mentality on display. It made me grow. Here at CM we don't get much recognition, our award is seeing all of YOU enjoying yourselves on the server.

I hear a lot that people constantly claim, EGO isn't what it used to be, EGO isn't the same anymore. Well, that's true. My friends all got older, got jobs, became leadership, grew in their own lives. In my 10 years, I've started a career, moved into an apartment, bought my first new car, bought my first house, and got married. All while spending my nights with EGO. Lives change, we don't have the time for one another we once had, but when we do have the time, it's like time never moved. Meeting those of you who I met on our Vegas trip to those who came to visit me at my house, EGO brought me friends that I will have for life and better respect for others here (Adam, GardenGrove, Artimus, JohnT). No matter what EGO becomes or what becomes of me I will always have those bonds I've made here. Jade, Foxy, Belle, Summer, Digs, Hammer, and Legend will always be family. If EGO can do that for you, like it did for me, then I think we've done a good job.

Martin

Join Media Team
=(eGO)=
1601157082908.png

Maserati

EGO Is My Life!
=(eGO)=
10 years..wow! I remember our overwatch nights a few years back, having been in eGO 4 yrs at the time and that was our first time playing together. also I don't think I ever got to say thank you to you @Acefire and @Jade who also have played with me in the past. MC and TF2 had some good times together and I'll always be thankful, your team even jumped in to help us a few times. I look around too and see this community has changed, but not in a bad way just that people grew up lol... they've left for college, careers, got married, or simply just don't play the same games anymore. Thanks for being around and glad you're still around!

FirezFury

Poster Extraordinaire
Community Manager
i know im always around to help and i think i instilled that same mentality into the rest of the MC team before i left, we are a community.. just because we play MC doesnt mean we cant help pick tf2 up or anyone else.

theworkflow

I made one post
10 year experience is amazing. It is true that we play MC doesnt mean we cant help pick tf2 up or anyone else.