Law change suggestions - @Department of justice

jeremy_duck

The long winded post guy
=(eGO)=
Hello everyone,

It's time for the big thread of all my suggested law changes in one easy to refer place, the forums!

In this list you will see laws outlined as there code is written, I will label each law as a Minor issue | Moderate issue | Major Issue | Remove law, depending on how bad I think the law is, and how exploitable it is or if I think the law should be flat out removed. I will also include suggested fixes/clarifications for the law to assist the DOJ with the load of issues that may be listed in this post, this post has taken me a long amount of time, longer than it would take to read the whole post in its entirety, so I expect before you comment to have read the post in full.

Lets get started;

Law Classification change / simplify | Minor
Some of the law classifications are used once and never used again, they also don't make sense to me and lack uniform, Title 1: Motor vehicles / vehicles - SA 1-1-1-1.2 / .3 "6 Felony - 5 Felony" What does this mean, why hasn't this been used anywhere else, what the hell is a 6 felony or a 5 felony or 3 felony? If I'm misunderstanding it let me know. (no suggestion here because I'm not entirely sure if the 6 felony makes sense to someone who knows law a bit better than I)

SA 1-1-6-1 Operation W/O Motorcycle endorsement | Remove
Currently in the server there is no way or reason to have/get a motorcycle endorsement issued on your drivers license, SA 1-1-6-2 covers it fine.

SA 1-1-9-11 Unsafe movement W/O signal - Lane change, Turning or slowing affecting vehicle/pedestrian | Remove
No one uses turn signals, no one should be expected to use turn signals, turn signals suck even though its realistic to use them (this law recommendation may require more peoples opinion on though)

SA 1-1-9-12 Failure to signal turn (200 FT. OR 300 FT AT 50+ MPH)
| Remove
Same as 1-1-9-11

SA 1-1-10-2
Exceeding urban speed limit (40 MPH) | Clarify
we had a meeting not to long ago regarding some law changes, the laws regarding the speeds were changed, if I remember correctly urban was 45 or 50 speed limit, 80 mph was reduced to a 70 mph speed limit, and the truck speed limit was unchanged, is this still the case, can someone from the DOJ clarify or change the law?

SA 1-1-10-3 Exceeding rural interstate speed limit (80 MPH) | Clarify
same as SA 1-1-10-2

SA 1-1-10-4
Exceeding rural interstate truck speed limit (65 MPH) |
Clarify
probably the same as SA 1-1-10-2

SA 1-1-13-1
Failure to register | Remove
No longer used with the new MDT.

SA 1-1-13-4 Operate/permit of operation W/O Financial responsibility | Remove
it states that "A person who operates a vehicle without insurance and or financial responsibility" WE AINT GOT THAT.

and that's motor vehicle laws done, while we are here and if the DOJ are bored, mind changing every law that has Caps in the definition to something that isn't SCREAMING at me please. anyway now we are moving on to the criminal code where a lot more of my personal opinion will be included with suggested law change, regarding charge times, remember that I play both sides but my bias is more toward the cop side, also I don't get arrested on my criminal ever, so if your tesla or someone else who gets arrested all the time make sure to weigh in on the ones I say to increase the MAX penalty, cuz you are the people the change WILL effect.

2C:10-1a Murder | Moderate
so the upcoming few law change recommendations are going to be decisive remember to keep it civil, Maximum charge 40 months regardless of amount (E.x if you murder 8 people where they permanently die, you get the same time regardless of amount you also get 20 months less if its a civilian) I think this is flawed, when it comes to straight up murdering someone where they actually die, the charge should be able to stack to max time (not that you are going to have 2 or more people die by the hands of one person at the same time but still) not only that but the civilian penalty should be the same amount as the EMS penalty, why are they different?

2C:10-1b Attempted Murder | Moderate
Civilian and EMS attempted murder charges should be the same, and the maximum total should be 90 months. if you kill 3 people you get 90 months, 2 people 60 months etc. ( this honestly applies to most laws that are different charges for EMS and Civilian)

2C:11-1b Assault | Moderate
Make civilian and Leo the same, minimum charge 8 months, max 18 months

2C:13-1b & 2C:13-1c Threatening a Government official / Threatening a Law enforcement officer | Minor
these two laws can be combined into one, unless you expect criminals to both threaten a Govt Official and Leo at the same time so we can stack the charges to 40 months for saying that he's gonna throw poop at the officer so it kills him.

2C:14-1a Kidnapping | Major
for the amount that this happens in the city, this should be increased a ton, right now for kidnapping someone you can get 5 months, lets bump those numbers up; instead of a $2,000 fine and 5-10 months with a max of 10, lets do 10-25 months, with a maximum per kidnapped subject of 25 months (if there's two subjects that were kidnapped the charge doubles to 50) with a 10,000$ fine. criminals rely on kidnapping to do a bank robbery, lets try to lower the amount of kidnappings in the state by buffing the charge and fine.

2C:14-1a human trafficking | Major
if someone's human trafficking (which idk if its even possible in the server) they should get a shit ton of time, $35,000 fine, 25-35months, charges increase per person NO MAXIMUM.

2C:15-1a Lewdness | VERY Minor
"An offender is guilty of lewdness if he knowingly commits any flagrantly lewd and offensive act" why is this just for men, or is public lewdness allowed for women, FREE THE CHEST HAIR!!! (or change it to he or she)

2C:21-6a Open Carry Violation | Minor
it needs to say somewhere that people who have a Open Carry permit are exempt from this if they are (using a holster, Open carrying a legal firearm) etc, same should apply to 2C:21-5a.

2C:21-1d Possession of a military / Tactical police vehicle | Moderate
You thought just because I made a huge thread on this law that I wouldn't add it in here? HA. here's some points copied from 3dsams post in that thread -
""or armor plating" With this any vehicle with armor plating is illegal. Including police vehicles and security ones for government purposes.
"possession of a tactical Law Enforcement / Military vehicle from Fort Zancudo unless previously` authorized by the Unified Police Department."
So the military needs to get permission from PD before driving their vehicles?? "
change the law to "Any vehicle equipped with weaponry that can cause damage to life, limb or property"

A lot of charges don't have a set maximum, does this mean we can stack them for every time they broke the law? so if someone fled from law enforcement 10 times, can we give him 100 months, what classifies of him fleeing from police again?

there's some additions that need to be added to the aviation code, however I am not qualified to suggest those, but I know someone who is, if your a member of the DOJ and your looking for laws to cover all bases, get with @StrayBog he's one of the more qualified people here regarding that, since I know he's gonna see this he will most likely make one of these posts or message you directly, or do something else entirely idk, figure it out.

jeremy_duck jeremy_duck Great Post!

As one of the DOJ members who is overhauling the DOJ, I have some input on this thread.

Definitions:

Yeah, they need to be worked on. For example did you know that for Flight from LEO you can't actually arrest someone who is running away on foot?
Because of holes like this one of our main goals is to refine definitions.

Removing Laws

SA 1-1-6-1 Operation W/O Motorcycle endorsement | Remove
Currently in the server there is no way or reason to have/get a motorcycle endorsement issued on your drivers license, SA 1-1-6-2 covers it fine.

SA 1-1-9-11 Unsafe movement W/O signal - Lane change, Turning or slowing affecting vehicle/pedestrian | Remove
No one uses turn signals, no one should be expected to use turn signals, turn signals suck even though its realistic to use them (this law recommendation may require more peoples opinion on though)

SA 1-1-9-12 Failure to signal turn (200 FT. OR 300 FT AT 50+ MPH) | Remove
Same as 1-1-9-11

Now as for these laws I'm not sure if we'll be deleting them. Yes, it is true that NOBODY uses turn signals however they are still useful.

For example,

Operation W/O Motorcycle endorsement - I'm like 95% sure you CAN get a motorcycle "endorsment" through the DMV. I'll double check in a bit but I do believe it is in the server.

For Unsafe Movement and Failure to Signal I currently believe they have some merit to stay as laws but am more on the fence about these personally. Once the DOJ team gets more in depth with the overhaul we'll have a better picture on how the Lawbook will be restructured.

# Felony's

As for the 5 and 6 Felony's you mentioned they will most likely stay, as they are realistic. the number defines the degree of the Felony that was committed. The higher the number generally equates to more serious felony's such as Murder. However, we will most likely define them as "5th Degree Felony" instead of 5 Felony because it leaves some room for confusion currently.

Increased time for major crimes

I also think that the times are a little short for most crimes however I also fully understand the civilians gripe that they don't want to spend x amount of time in prison for committing x crime.

Closing

Overall I think this is a great thread and will be useful to the DOJ!

I wanted to leave here with showing our newly created Public Roadmap for the DOJ. This is a general plan for how we fill be restructuring the DOJ.

Thanks for the post,

~D3FaulT

P.S: I might have some more thoughts to share later but I just woke up so my capacity for thinking is a little short at the moment.

DOJROADMAP.png

Operation W/O Motorcycle endorsement - I'm like 95% sure you CAN get a motorcycle "endorsment" through the DMV. I'll double check in a bit but I do believe it is in the server.

The only thing you can get at the DMV is licenses, unless a endorsement is a license

For Unsafe Movement and Failure to Signal I currently believe they have some merit to stay as laws but am more on the fence about these personally. Once the DOJ team gets more in depth with the overhaul we'll have a better picture on how the Lawbook will be restructured.

Just to sail this point home, due to some issues we have in the server with your hazards being left on some times without you pressing anything, your passenger is also able to turn on and off your hazards, I personally want to remove the whole pulling people over for them because I don't expect people to use them in any case, because over my 3 years I've never considered using them, it seems like a ton of micromanagement

Reactions: Ped
But seriously, this is a great idea, I think some laws could be removed, like the turn signal. (literally, no one uses them), however, it could be useful in the long run. I guess we will have to wait and see what is coming up for the DOJ. Best of luck, guys!

Catch me grinding through the law book today and this weekend. Aaron Aaron we can talk whenever you’re available :)

Turn signal laws in a GTA RP server are silly. If you honestly expect people to use a turn signal every time they turn, you're being a hard ass. Roleplay should be realistic to a point and as soon as it becomes so mundane that it's a chore instead of being fun, it doesn't belong.

Also, why would kidnapping be a "Major" charge while Murder is considered "Moderate?" I don't understand the thought process behind this. Murder is, legitimately, the worst crime you can commit IRL. Kidnapping is 100% a major crime and so is murder. All murder charges should be "Major" and not "Moderate"

Turn signal laws in a GTA RP server are silly. If you honestly expect people to use a turn signal every time they turn, you're being a hard ass. Roleplay should be realistic to a point and as soon as it becomes so mundane that it's a chore instead of being fun, it doesn't belong.

Also, why would kidnapping be a "Major" charge while Murder is considered "Moderate?" I don't understand the thought process behind this. Murder is, legitimately, the worst crime you can commit IRL. Kidnapping is 100% a major crime and so is murder. All murder charges should be "Major" and not "Moderate"

"I will label each law as a Minor issue | Moderate issue | Major Issue | Remove law, depending on how bad I think the law is, and how exploitable it is or if I think the law should be flat out removed."

I wrote moderate for attempted murder and murder because the way the law is written didn't have any major suggested changes, I had moderate suggested changes I.e maximum time increased per charge, the Kidnapping & Human trafficking laws had Major because I suggested major changes to said law.

the labels don't define the (how major the law fucks you) it defines how major the suggested change is from the original

Last edited:
"I will label each law as a Minor issue | Moderate issue | Major Issue | Remove law, depending on how bad I think the law is, and how exploitable it is or if I think the law should be flat out removed."

I wrote moderate for attempted murder and murder because the way the law is written didn't have any major suggested changes, I had moderate suggested changes I.e maximum time increased per charge, the Kidnapping & Human trafficking laws had Major because I suggested major changes to said law.

Ahhhh. Oops, I thought you labelled them based on their severity lmfao. Yeah, my bad. I definitely skimmed over the first paragraph and just dove into the laws.

That being said, I agree with what you've got going on here. +1

Last edited:
As for the 5 and 6 Felony's you mentioned they will most likely stay, as they are realistic. the number defines the degree of the Felony that was committed. The higher the number generally equates to more serious felony's such as Murder. However, we will most likely define them as "5th Degree Felony" instead of 5 Felony because it leaves some room for confusion currently.
Just as long as you get rid of class A-F then. It's realistic to classify violations in a grade based on severity, but every state uses either numbers or letters, not both. Something I literally brought up when this lawbook was created. :mad:

I hate to say it... but everyday i wake up to a duck post is a fantastic day. Mans doing work.

Back