Open - On Roadmap Organizing Events in Minecraft - Suggestion

WolfBane

I made one post
Hi there! I'm WolfBane (or WolfBaneW on the Minecraft server). I've been playing with EdgeGamers since March, invited by CrossCheck.

I wasn't as involved with the Minecraft server events until the new server was started this summer.
I loved the horse race, I heard wool wars was a blast, and I'm excited to be a part of the ongoing server build contest.

However, the way the nether mining event was executed tonight was rough in my opinion.
I feel that there wasn't enough organization, planning, and it was overall very chaotic.
I left the event feeling frustrated, annoyed, and as if I had not participated in a fun server event--rather, a stressful experience, a lonely one.
  1. During the explanation of the rules, there was a lot of talking over those speaking, making it hard to understand what was being said.
    I believe that muting others while the rules are explained would be immensely helpful, and then offer an opportunity for others to speak afterwards with any questions or concerns.* (see end of list for additional info)

2. Throughout the mining itself there was little issues, it seemed everyone was just talking and enjoying themselves.

3. At the end, when you were asked to deposit your items, there was a large amount of trash items that ended up clogging up the system and making it difficult for others to effectively place their items in/caused it to be very time-consuming and once again, noisy with everyone being confused.
    I feel that for the next nether mining event, there needs to be separate "stalls" while you deposit your items (to ensure others don't interfere) as well as two hoppers to facilitate a faster acceptance of items.
    This could be negated if there was a way for players to dispose of their "trash" items before placing their gear and ancient debris.

4. Finally, there wasn't a proper posting of the list of winners until everyone was speaking over one another in chat asking what was going on and who got what place.
    This could easily be remedied by supplying the list of winners and their placings when the winners are announced, explaining that the winners can look at the TeamSpeak chat for more information.
* This is moreso a personal qualm, but I also believe that not stating the rules in the thread posting about the actual event itself is problematic.
It could aid users in "planning" a way to get a leg-up in the event, but it also prevents users who may have audio disabilities from hearing the rules (since TeamSpeak is required.)
Additionally, should someone forget something, popping on the forums to check the rule thread rather than scrambling to find out what needed saying in a noisy chat or from a busy manager/admin could be very helpful.

Compared to other events, this one was an anomaly in terms of the chaos and disorganization that ensued, at no fault of one specific person.
I think that these suggestions could be implemented all around, especially the issues regarding TeamSpeak and the issues with the rules not being posted, which were the most glaring issues imo.

My sister and her bf (PixelatedHorse and TEAGYTOMATO respectively) were both members of this event as well and felt similarly, so please consider this suggestion posted on behalf of all of us.

Upvote 0
WolfBane WolfBane

I'm having a hard time understanding what your suggestion is about, you believe the events should be better orchestrated? All events are gonna be a little chaotic, there were also 19 people in this event compared to the 9 in the horse race and 11 in woolwar, which was an unexpected amount. This event was also more of a "do what you want" event meaning horse race and wool war need to be in a location and they will tell you where to be and where to go. I'm sorry you feel this way but the only thing I can do to help you is be more strict with players during events.

WolfBane WolfBane

I'm having a hard time understanding what your suggestion is about, you believe the events should be better orchestrated? All events are gonna be a little chaotic, there were also 19 people in this event compared to the 9 in the horse race and 11 in woolwar, which was an unexpected amount. This event was also more of a "do what you want" event meaning horse race and wool war need to be in a location and they will tell you where to be and where to go. I'm sorry you feel this way but the only thing I can do to help you is be more strict with players during events.
It is called constructive criticism. Wolf is offering suggestions and personal opinion based off the experience she had with this event on ways the event might be ran to avoid any chaos in the first place.

Chaos should not be part of any event we host regardless of the amount of people are participating. This comes from personal experience of being a past MC:EC for over a year. The point of hosting events are to have fun during the event for both the Host and it's participants.

One way to help avoid any chaos is to clearly explain the rules, objectives and any additional information on the events post announcement.
View attachment 2050
Nether Mining II - November 27th - 7 PM ET

Join us on November 27th for our next event, Nether Mining II.

mine.edgegamers.com
Must join TeamSpeak for rules and getting items for the event
Host(s): Vincent & Jam

if you like to blow things up, there will be lots of blowing things up<3
If you notice, there is no information on how this event is to be ran, scoring system, objectives and any pertinent info to ensure a smoothly ran event.

If you explain before hand in the announcement post, there is no need to announce on TeamSpeak on how the event works or its rules before hand, all you would need to do before you start the event, is post a link to the announcement page. This would also allow late comers to participate without having to explain the rules again and the eliminate the possibility of anyone talking over the host. Prior to starting the event, ask the participants if they understand how this event works.

My 5 cents worth!!!

thanks for the suggestions, will help with future events.

Last edited:
Back