PoE News: Interesting Facts About Path Of Exile Heist Lore

Chris Pineson

I made one post

Right now, here is something you should aware of before we get too deep into this post. This article probably contains spoilers, both contained major and minor. Therefore, you should read at your own peril!

No.1: You should know that about voice-acting, Adiyah and Gianna are both voiced by the same actress named Elle Wooton. Any time you hear Adiyah and Gianna talk at the end of a heist, you should aware that she's just talking to herself! And here comes a joke, does she will acquire more Path of Exile Currency because of voice-acting two characters?

No. 2: As you can see that Rogue's Markers used many different forms during development and writing. And let me tell you my secret; My personal favourite was 'Prints', coins (these coins are no with a fingerprint pressed into them, making them difficult to counterfeit and tying it into the criminal theme (and keep in mind please don't leave prints behind!). After that, they were 'Seals', and were the wax seals from finished contracts. Obviously, people would hear 'Seal' and think of the animal, hence they are now Markers.

No. 3: The Rogue Harbour was initially going to have dynamically moving NPCs and more entertaining conversations between them, but then, unfortunately, Lockdown 2 happened. And for that version of the Rogue Harbour, I really hope Tibbs to be sitting by the fireplace whittling or sewing toys, and Isla, Karst, Tullina and Vinderi playing poker. Isla would use their distracted fighting to cheat, poor Karst would keep losing all the time and he would get angrier and angrier, and Tullina would keep goading him on, and Vinderi would undo the cheating when Isla wasn't looking. Anyway, it was elaborate, and probably good it didn't happen. However, There are still a few conversation that could trigger around the Rogue Harbour.

No. 4: No. 4: There were several weeks between the first dialogue recording and the last dialogue recording, as you can easily notice that each character recorded individually. It took a lot of work to piece the lines together and then tinker with pauses and overlaps to get them to sound more natural-ish.

No. 5: In Path of Exile, some of the characters might have quite alike last names -- and Vinny Vox are probably related to Cardinal Sanctus Vox, one of the Legion bosses. The timeframes are not exact, however there are at least a few generations separating them.

No. 6: Right now you might have already seen some familiar faces around the Rogue's Harbour: for instance, Hargan, Tarkleigh and many others might appear at random. As a matter of fact, you can also notice any member of the Immortal Syndicate just except the Mastermind, but only if they aren't currently part of the Immortal Syndicate (for example, you have already 'removed' them).

No. 7: You gamers might not know that storylines underwent a bunch of changes over Heist's development cycle. Ideas that we considered and cut include: Having your first heist be much larger, much busier, and end in a betrayal that would set up a central rival early on, a story in which Gianna shows her fate is due to a lecherous and abusive theatre director (to be exact, I wanted a boss fight that was a pursuit through the backstage area of a theatre), and a sequence in which the Vox twins invade the Rogue Harbour for an quite early version of their boss fight.

No. 8: Kurai's cat, Hana, used to be called Beans, cause I thought that was an totally adorable name. In the very first draft of Kurai's quest, Beans the cat was killed in the aforementioned Rogue Harbour raid. After a few people at Grinding Gear Games read the draft, "For Beans" began appearing on whiteboards around the office. Then cans of beans started appearing around the office, including one on my desk. I have to admit that players got really attached to Beans.

No. 9: In Path of Exile: Heist, we added somewhere in the vicinity of 2800 new dialogue entries. Before the Heist, all of Path of Exile, including past leagues (even Betrayal also included!), totalled about 6000 dialogue entries.

No. 10: As you can see, in-game we created a conversation system specifically for the Heist league, however, that we can generalise for future content. For Heist, we only added 268 conversations, including one that Vinderi has with just himself.

No. 11: Players might not know that wrote Kurai's heartbreaking scene was particularly emotional as, during Heist's development, my own cat got sick and had to be put down. And that really reminded me a lot.

No. 12: As you can see the Clients for general contract targets include The Midnight Tinkerer, who you might also know as Riker Maloney, and Anton Laffrey, who is possibly related to Aisling Laffrey.

No. 13: Karst, in-game, used to be filled with even more bluster, and was even more cowardly than he right now is.

No. 14: Kurai's name is an anagram of Karui, which I only realized once we'd already recorded a lot of her dialogue. And that wasn't intentional.

No. 15: I once again tried to make one of the characters an ethical cannibal, but that was cut. How depressed!

No. 16: We might try to use a few of these characters once again in the future. There are some I'm eager to explore further.

No. 17: I have to admit that I had the most fun writing Vinderi. My favourite line out of literally all the dialogue is "Anytibbs, time." Haha, kind like a catchphrase, right?

Here comes the fact that since Heist was one of the busiest leagues I've worked on, there are probably a lot more little bits and pieces I'm forgetting, and right now I have already seen a lot of feedback and it really helps knowing people do, to be truthfully told, care about stories, lore and dialogue in Path of Exile. And all that feedback is quite helpful in polishing what we work on next expansion, and that expansion is name

Last edited by a moderator: