Fell into a frozen lake today, let me tell you about it...

platypushunter

Poop Dealer
=(eGO)=
TL;DR ice was thick, ice then got slim thick, ice broke, i almost died, logan saved my life. Dont mess with ice folks

So its been roughly 50 degrees here the last two days, so you might be thinking, wow platypushunter, that was really dumb of you... Which would be right if the ice wasn't 8 inches thick (we made a hole and measured) and if we weren't on the ice for 2 hours before I fell in.

Basically my friend and I wanted to go fishing, so we went to our favorite pond, and it was somehow still frozen. We could tell parts of it were pretty thick based on the ice coming up to the shore and touching the ground, and we threw some nearby cinder blocks on the pond to test if it was thick enough, and sure enough they didnt make a dent. We found a spot were something had previously broken through, but then had refroze, and we could tell it was ~8 inches thick. We spent 2 hours on the ice trying to ice fish, trying to play some games etc etc, and upon venturing to a part of the pond we hadn't been on before, I fell in.

Now let me tell you, its nothing like what you'd imagine. All other things on my mind were gone. All i knew was that i was wet, and i couldnt feel a THING. I couldnt feel my legs, or my arms and hands, and so trying to pull myself out was hard enough, except the ice kept breaking, and my clothes were so heavy from the water soaking them, and in fact my pants were around my ankles when my friend (Thank god logan was there) stuck his arm out and i grabbed him and he pulled me out. I couldnt feel anything but my face. I could move my arms legs and hands but everything was numb. I managed to run to my car and strip naked in front of the TopGolf (if you know what that is good for u) that this pond was next to. I could tell that i was grabbing my keys and such but i couldnt feel it, it was surreal and terrifying. Once i got in the car and turned it on i started warming up and then my whole body was in pain. the ice had managed to cut the **** out of my asscheeks on account of my pants being around my ankles, my hands were numb (they finally feel normal now, but it took a while) and now i could feel that my fingers and hands hurt so much it was so much pain, and my legs and groin were still totally numb and running to my car with heavy clothes on took a lot of wind out of me so i was not doing well.

Logan grabbed my stuff from my pockets and we realized my wallet was floating in the middle of the 20 foot wide (yah it was huge cuz it kept breaking when i tried to get up) hole in the ice, so he had to go there with the longest stick he could find and retrieve it. Very terrifying experience, very painful, and my parents werent too happy when i told them i was walking on ice today lol.

In conclusion do NOT walk on ice, no matter what, especially not on a warm day, and if you ever for whatever reason have to, be with someone who can help you out, or you to help them out.

That being said i did get some good photos so i will make a comment with those attached shortly

Last edited:
1) did you have your phone on you when you fell in ?
2) i guess because of this, i can understand and forgive you losing our streak 😡

Invest in a belt my friend!

1614450624963.png

Oh, and stay off the ice in 40F+ weather.

Glad you're safe.

Last edited:
glad you're doing well bro, that sounds like such a life changing experience and im glad you learned from it and im glad you arent DEAD.

Invest in a belt my friend!

View attachment 4037

Oh, and stay off the ice in 40F+ weather.

Glad you're safe.
to be fair we were sus at first. Did a little investigation and there was 3 layers of ice, one hard layer from the first time it froze, one layer of slush that had froze, and one layer of real ice again. the area i fell through had apparently melted more so it was mostly just the top frozen layer while the other parts of the pond were in the shade 24/7 and had the opportunity to stay frozen longer.

Regardless i won’t be walking on ice ever again

Back