Video streaming

pillar

Poster Extraordinaire
Hey guys so theres a streaming concert coming up and I would like to get information on how to record the stream on my desktop. Ive already done some research and apparently it can be done on VLC, but the audio part isnt working correctly. Any ideas on what I can do to make sure this works? Im currently using a Radeon RX 580 video card, so im not sure if this will work or not.

Thanks in advance

I might be ignorant in this field, but are you talking about like screen capturing?

ie; something that records what's being displayed on your screen in real time?

Hey guys so theres a streaming concert coming up and I would like to get information on how to record the stream on my desktop. Ive already done some research and apparently it can be done on VLC, but the audio part isnt working correctly. Any ideas on what I can do to make sure this works? Im currently using a Radeon RX 580 video card, so im not sure if this will work or not.

Thanks in advance
VLC is very picky but once you get the settings down it should be very consistent. I would continue following some guides like https://confluence.bethel.edu/display/ITSKB/Recording+a+Network+Stream+with+VLC+Player as they'll do a better job at explaining it than I could. Basically you just need to set it up to record from that video stream and then display while recording.

Look into OBS for the higher quality capture.
I believe OBS can record from a URL too, they're basically the same thing under the hood

I believe OBS is easier to get working though both have a complex nature to them and you will need to follow a guide.

Your video card should be good enough to handle screen capturing a stream. There's more to it than just your GPU though - lots of variables to consider. I would definitely do some trial&error testing to make sure everything is how you want it to be.

I believe OBS is easier to get working though both have a complex nature to them and you will need to follow a guide.

Your video card should be good enough to handle screen capturing a stream. There's more to it than just your GPU though - lots of variables to consider. I would definitely do some trial&error testing to make sure everything is how you want it to be.
Having a gpu is a good sign though... OBS won't be able to record without graphics :ROFLMAO:

Having a gpu is a good sign though... OBS won't be able to record without graphics :ROFLMAO:
Definitely but just having a good GPU doesn't mean you'll be successful in capturing a stream. Especially if the rest of your hardware is trash and your internet connection can barely load the stream, as is.

Ok so yes I was doing research and a website did mention OBS, so ill give that a try here soon.

you could try Stream Labs which is a easier option, it helps on customization's etc.. but 1 thing is that the video recording isn't that fluent that much so, If you are looking to stream it would be a good option. Video recording tho, I wouldn't recommend it, considering the fact that there is more options that are way better.

you could try Stream Labs which is a easier option, it helps on customization's etc.. but 1 thing is that the video recording isn't that fluent that much so, If you are looking to stream it would be a good option. Video recording tho, I wouldn't recommend it, considering the fact that there is more options that are way better.
stream labs is almost entirely focused at video streaming obs or vlc would easily take the win here for his purpose

If you are using the Radeon RX, unfortunately, you cannot try the NVIDIA GeForce streaming services. VLC is not a good recording application anyway, so, at your place, I would try to set up the OBS or Movavi application. I think it will be a much better choice in your situation because setting up the VLC recording system will always be a mess. I suggest you look at this guide https://www.movavi.com/learning-portal/best-free-video-captures.html about how to set up the Movavi application. I'm sure it will help you to make a good streaming concert.

Last edited:
Back