Cpu has died, pls halp

platypushunter

Poop Dealer
=(eGO)=
TLDR; changed cpu in pc for one i wasn’t using. cpu was known good this morning. Pc won’t turn on anymore, after just not posting before.

So i had two PCs, and decides to take the best parts of them and make them whole.

After spending forever making the nice pc all pretty and clean it turned on and lit up so i called it a day. After getting back to it later tonight to check the post and over lock it and play games, it woudknt post but would turn on. There was an error light (no code it just a light to indicate an error) I assumed it was the CPU because in this specific rig all that had changed was the case and CPU.

So i take the cpu out and realize there’s a bunch of thermal paste everywhere. I got it all over my hands when installing it so i wiped the top off with rubbing alc, and i sprayed it down too. I cleaned the socket as well. after this i put the cpu back in.

It will no long even power on, and i KNOW everything is plugged in and that it all works.

Specs are as such

ryzen 5 2600 that was running at 4 ghz overclocked since 2017

RTx 2070 super

ROG b450-f mobo 2020 revision (it’s gotten a few extra buttons and lights this year)

2x8 gb ballistex 2666 ram

750 gold PSU.

Anything i should check before i just buy a better cpu? i’d hate to fry another one and this motherboard is super nice i’d like to not buy a new one. I will say i had a very similar issue when i tried to upgrade the ram, i assumed the ram stick was dead and i exchanged it and it worked fine but i’m not sure. Is it possible being overclocked for so long (i think the voltage was high) could have just led to it dying when i took it out ?

Any advice would be appreciated

Not sure about AMD processors but Intel tells you do not use Alcohol to clean processors. Use a dry Q-tip and a flash light when cleaning under the processor and its socket on the motherboard to make sure no residue left behind. Also make sure the heatsink is firmly installed. Thermal compounds, specially high grade ones are highly conductive and will prevent the system from booting if its creating a short between two or more points. You should also use a magnifier and see if the processors socket leads are uniform and there is not a couple that are bent.

Good luck...

Not sure about AMD processors but Intel tells you do not use Alcohol to clean processors. Use a dry Q-tip and a flash light when cleaning under the processor and its socket on the motherboard to make sure no residue left behind. Also make sure the heatsink is firmly installed. Thermal compounds, specially high grade ones are highly conductive and will prevent the system from booting if its creating a short between two or more points. You should also use a magnifier and see if the processors socket leads are uniform and there is not a couple that are bent.

Good luck...
Oh haha i’ve always heard alcohol is the way you’re supposed to. I will spend some time cleaning the mobo well today. Will try with the cpu that was previously in there.

Good luck...
Update: I have found the culprit, there was a tiny piece of thermal paste in between a couple pins that i missed last night. Thanks !

Oh haha i’ve always heard alcohol is the way you’re supposed to. I will spend some time cleaning the mobo well today. Will try with the cpu that was previously in there.
I always used distilled water to clean my mobo and an acetone based (nail polish remover) for my CPU.

Glad you are up and running again.

I always used distilled water to clean my mobo and an acetone based (nail polish remover) for my CPU.

Glad you are up and running again.
after 6 hours of struggling i regret to inform u that no it is not working still. I realize i was using 70% rubbing alcohol solution. After trying a new motherboard i got my ryzen 5 1500 to turn on(but not post) and the 2600 refused to turn on. I fear the 70% had too much water and caused a short somewhere and damaged the motherboard and the cpu. Luckily i’m in a cyber security course and my teacher is a wizard at pc repair and maintenance so hopefully i’ll be up by the end of the week.

If not, then looks like i need a new mobo, and 2 new CPUS (i legitimately need 2 PCs so that would suck. I fucking hate money appearently)

I fear the 70% had too much water and caused a short somewhere and damaged the motherboard and the cpu.
Rubbing alcohol is electrically conductive. Rubbing alcohol just evaporates very fast. It would also help that remaining water evaporate fast. So as long as you didn't just plug in the computer immediately after you should be fine. An hour or two under a fan would be all you need to dry it

Rubbing alcohol is electrically conductive. Rubbing alcohol just evaporates very fast. It would also help that remaining water evaporate fast. So as long as you didn't just plug in the computer immediately after you should be fine. An hour or two under a fan would be all you need to dry it
Meyers is right.

Actually, you could technically submerge your entire PC in water and as long as you didn't apply power to it before it was fully dry, it would fine. :)

There actually are systems that are completely submerged in a special type of oil. (Or atleast that's what my brother has told me who has his EEoT degree)

There actually are systems that are completely submerged in a special type of oil. (Or atleast that's what my brother has told me who has his EEoT degree)
yeah, mineral oil. it's a non conductive liquid so people have been known to put their entire pcs in a sort of fish tank with it

yeah, mineral oil. it's a non conductive liquid so people have been known to put their entire pcs in a sort of fish tank with it
That's it! Couldn't remember what oil it was. He was telling me about industrial systems being done that way... not personal PC's though... Seems overkill for a personal PC - just get a cooling system (or is it cheaper?)

That's it! Couldn't remember what oil it was. He was telling me about industrial systems being done that way... not personal PC's though... Seems overkill for a personal PC - just get a cooling system (or is it cheaper?)
definitely not cheaper it’s all just for looks. the maintenance on them is terrible aswell

As for the Mineral Oil, There is a company in Seattle dipping motherboards in that oil for extreme cooling and not for cleaning thermal compound.

Water itself is not conductive. Adding Magnesium, Calcium and small amount of salt like in your tab water is what makes water conductive. If you did not remove the battery of the board before you expose it to tab water, your board most likely already damaged. If not, when you dry your motherboard after washing it with tab water, you will most likely notice a white residue left on the board because you only evaporated the water and left the conductive salt behind. If a plugged in hair drier accidently fell in a bath tab while someone is bathing will electrify them to death, dropping a powered motherboard in a tank full of tab water will kill the motherboard too.
Distilled water is pure water, no contaminants, so it is not conductive.

The problem with rubbing alcohol is not the amount of the water it contains. It is the fact that rubbing alcohol is ethanol based liquid and just like it does a good job cleaning that nasty adhesive residue that is left behind by sticky labels, it can also eat through the sealants some electronic parts (Like a CPU) require to function.

Last edited:
Putting thermale paste on cpu < putting thermale paste on socket pins
As for the Mineral Oil, There is a company in Seattle dipping motherboards in that oil for extreme cooling and not for cleaning thermal compound.

Water itself is not conductive. Adding Magnesium, Calcium and small amount of salt like in your tab water is what makes water conductive. If you did not remove the battery of the board before you expose it to tab water, your board most likely already damaged. If not, when you dry your motherboard after washing it with tab water, you will most likely notice a white residue left on the board because you only evaporated the water and left the conductive salt behind. If a plugged in hair drier accidently fell in a bath tab while someone is bathing will electrify them to death, dropping a powered motherboard in a tank full of tab water will kill the motherboard too.
Distilled water is pure water, no contaminants, so it is not conductive.

The problem with rubbing alcohol is not the amount of the water it contains. It is the fact that rubbing alcohol is ethanol based liquid and just like it does a good job cleaning that nasty adhesive residue that is left behind by sticky labels, it can also eat through the sealants some electronic parts (Like a CPU) require to function.
Don't let your CPU die. Easy.
Meyers is right.

Actually, you could technically submerge your entire PC in water and as long as you didn't apply power to it before it was fully dry, it would fine. :)

Yeah doesn’t help that i definitely fucking soaked them in 70% alcohol and then let them dry for like 5 minutes before i plugged them in.

May have just fried 2 cpus. Haven’t had the chance to work on it much but will be trying a few things.

mommy please buy me 2 new cpus for my birthday thank you

Without actually physically being able to see the components and diagnose the situation - from what you have said - I would say you probably fried them. It sucks but it's a learning experience. Back in 2003 when I tried to build my first CPU - before every MB would actually signify and shut down your computer before your CPU heated up to frying, my brother actually forgot to put the thermal paste on and fried a (at the time) 400$ CPU in an instant. It's all learning experience.

Maybe I’m old but for as long as I’ve been working on computers, I’ve always used a dab of rubbing alcohol when I’m replacing thermal paste/cleaning it up.

my formula was a dab of alcohol to clean any old stuff up, the perfect amount of thermal paste, and about an hour of waiting, to be on a safer side. I’ve never had an issue with that formula and I’ve definitely never soaked any parts in any sort of liquid.

a very small amount of rubbing alcohol does wonders when I used a q tip

Back