RE: Sentries on Hightower.

Should we disable sentries on the Hightower server?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TopHatCat

Rookie
=(e)=
I see sentry guns on the Hightower server as a problem. I see more of an empty stalemate to a server rather than an open and dynamic deathmatch that the server was originally intended to be. I have seen this server go nearly quiet because an engineer decides to start a nest in a place that's hard to access. Now some players may find it fun to try to take out the nest, which is fine, however I see it as a problem since Hightower doesn't have very many options when it comes to taking out said sentry.
I ask you, what do you want done with sentries? You want them to stay, remove them entirely, or have limitations (such as class limits, only one sentry gun per team at a time, etc). I would like your take on this.

Leave it as is. Because if you limit sentries, playing engineer will serve next to no purpose as they would only be a scout with worse movement and little defense compared to other classes, while making being camped a much bigger issue as a heavy/medic with a soldier/demo can deny almost anyone leaving spawn. Also, the friendlies who wanna make harmless sentries would not be happy either.

In all reality, this hurts friendlies as they build sentries to guard themselves and make them harmless sometimes, as well as hurts more experienced players as never fighting against sentries could/will handicap you in the long run. Because you might be completely lost on how to kill sentries on say, Harvest or 2Fort because you never fought them on Hightower.

Leave it as is. Because if you limit sentries, playing engineer will serve next to no purpose as they would only be a scout with worse movement and little defense compared to other classes, while making being camped a much bigger issue as a heavy/medic with a soldier/demo can deny almost anyone leaving spawn. Also, the friendlies who wanna make harmless sentries would not be happy either.

In all reality, this hurts friendlies as they build sentries to guard themselves and make them harmless sometimes, as well as hurts more experienced players as never fighting against sentries could/will handicap you in the long run. Because you might be completely lost on how to kill sentries on say, Harvest or 2Fort because you never fought them on Hightower.
floppers

I disagree with the notion that engineers building creates stalemates. In almost all instances of sentry use on Hightower, it seems to me that it prompts players to be more aggressive, and actually INCREASES the action. The reality of engineer is the same as that of medic; it creates a disparity in the amount of support each team has. The reality is that players aren't competing in a vacuum on Hightower, it's still in many senses a teamfight. For this reason, I don't really think it's logical to remove something that encourages more of the team to fight. As for engi stacking, that's even less of a problem than one competent engineer. That's just a very simple opportunity for a good demoman to achieve a godlike killstreak. The reality is that players have access to every tool possible to counter a sentry gun; it's up to them to use those tools.

Ehh, in my experience (although I agree sentries on Hightower are annoying as hell) sentries built in the middle of the map are usually taken out fairly quickly and sentries built near one team's spawn usually aren't that big of a factor. Plus, it may drive some people away and I think we want to prevent that as much as possible.

Back