New router

pillar

Poster Extraordinaire
Hey all, so im on the lookout for a new router. Apparently back in August we had a rather bad t-storm & it managed to hit the modem & my router, but everything else is fine (which is extremely odd). The modem was replaced & after doing some testing, I found out my router can't translate the ethernet signal anymore, so I'm using an older TP Link router to keep going until I find a better upgrade. My previous router was a Tenda, but after this I won't go with them again in the future. I tried them because I am a student and gave it a try, but before this issue I was having issues with it losing connection more than the other routers.

Therefore I am looking for a decent quality router (price range is less than $50) that won't give me issues and I can have signal in the kitchen (which is right below me) to do school work on my laptop. Like usual, open to all ideas.

Xfinity xfi routers are amazing. I have one and ethernet/internet works great (usually get 10-30 ping with ethernet depending on where the servers located). It's a bit of a gimmick but it has an app where you can manage all of the usage on your devices.

Netgear is a very easy and inexpensive solution, they also have a phone app to help set up

Used to work as a Spectrum network engineer. I can tell you that, if you have Spectrum, the reason your equipment fried is probably due to the technician that installed the service at your residence did not properly ground at the housebox outside by your power meter.

On another note even if you can get signal down in the kitchen wireless frequencies tend to get grumpy when traversing between different stories of a building. Kitchens and bathrooms especially get it grumpy because frequencies, whether it be cell or wi-fi, do not attenuate well through mirrors and water which are primarily found in the previously mentioned rooms.

It's definitely not within your mentioned price budget but could be considered for future use, but I have Googles Router/AP combo for mesh and I keep an AP in my kitchen as so not get any signal degradation while I'm in there cooking and working on my laptop.

Back