Forums Delivered Rename ban contests to ban appeals

MS

Senior Technical Manager
Tech
I've never really understood why "ban contests" are named the way they are. From what I can see outside of eGO, most game servers name the system a Ban Appeal.

The primary difference between contest and appeal is that contest implies the ban must've been mistaken or incorrect (ie: you can only contest an incorrect ban), whereas appeal is less specific.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter, but if possible I think it would be nice to change the name to be more fitting.

Upvote 26
Still agree this should be a thing. It may be semantics but this would be cool

+1

Anyone banned on the servers are basically guilty until proven innocent.

I think changing it to "Ban Appeal"would be best.

Last edited:
Wait ban contest isn't a competition to see who can get the most bans?

But in all seriousness ban appeals is much better, as mentioned above, "Ban Contest" seems like an admin didn't resolve the situation properly.

never seen so many people on board to change a word in my life

Hahaha

It seems that this suggestion has gained almost unanimous community support. This will be put on our to-do list.

"Contest" sounds like the person who is banned is fighting to get his ban overturned whether unjustified or not., "Appeal" sounds like they are groveling!!!!

It seems that this suggestion has gained almost unanimous community support. This will be put on our to-do list.
excuse my incompetence, but im sure that many people (including myself) are wondering -

is it not just "edit title" -> Ban Appeal -> done?

excuse my incompetence, but im sure that many people (including myself) are wondering -

is it not just "edit title" -> Ban Appeal -> done?
Indeed it is, but there's only so many people that have access to do so and bugging them with this small of a change isn't worth it. We do changes for the forum in bulk so that more of our time is spent efficiently.

This is how it's currently setup (very inefficient overall, but the most efficient option currently), but I'll give you some insight into what is planned. As of right now, all of our changes are made in a staging environment that's almost identical to the live forum, then we take note of the things that need to be changed and they are manually changed one by one on production.

In the ideal scenario, this process would be automatic. This is what we're going for. Xenforo isn't really the most developer friendly software (by a LONG shot), so this functionality isn't built in and the tools that would be needed for that don't exist... soooo we're making our own custom tools that do it for us.

I understand this may be frustrating but unfortunately it's the best we have for now. Apologies.

Indeed it is, but there's only so many people that have access to do so and bugging them with this small of a change isn't worth it. We do changes for the forum in bulk so that more of our time is spent efficiently.

This is how it's currently setup (very inefficient overall, but the most efficient option currently), but I'll give you some insight into what is planned. As of right now, all of our changes are made in a staging environment that's almost identical to the live forum, then we take note of the things that need to be changed and they are manually changed one by one on production.

In the ideal scenario, this process would be automatic. This is what we're going for. Xenforo isn't really the most developer friendly software (by a LONG shot), so this functionality isn't built in and the tools that would be needed for that don't exist... soooo we're making our own custom tools that do it for us.

I understand this may be frustrating but unfortunately it's the best we have for now. Apologies.
nah that makes sense. thanks for clarifying!!

Back