Existing Feature Make rule changes much more public.

Hero

eGO's silliest european
=(eGO)=
In admin chat, we were having a discussion about a ctban on a player who had killed someone in armoury during LR, right after last gaurd.

He got ctbanned and after some context on why, Him (the player who was ctbanned), me, and some others were confused on why.
And apparently there was a rule change about a month ago which literally no one had any idea of. Except for some people.

I thought doing a server message like the ones that pop out in chat every once and a while would be a way to link and advertise these new rule changes.
Something like that

Upvote 3
+1 I constantly see regulars who don't log onto the forums much be confused by new rules. This is something that needs to be implemented one way or another

The new rules (pretty sure the one you’re talking about as well) were posted on this forum thread https://www.edgegamers.com/threads/374031/#post-3323822.

And the changes are hilighted in red, ie

If a prisoner is located in a Restricted Area during LR then they should be asked to leave the Restricted Area, do NOT kill T’s in a Restricted Area during LR unless they are actively rebelling.

Considering there was a new forum thread and the rules were update correspondingly, I cant really see how eGO should promote rule changes further, unless you want stuff ingame.

Admins are encouraged to be lenient on new rules that players may not be aware about, and spreading the word on what / where the new rules are is always helpful as well.

Having a message that says that the rules were updated certainly could work, but it definitely would be difficult to maintain (especially on JB. It could also be annoying depending on how obtrusive/accurate it is, but a proper implantation I could see work. Just seems like an unnecessary amount of work for something you can copy+paste a link to.

Considering there was a new forum thread and the rules were update correspondingly,
Many players on the server, even regulars, don't use the forums and are therefore unaware of the new rules.
Having a message that says that the rules were updated certainly could work, but it definitely would be difficult to maintain
We already have scrolling messages that appear from time to time, adding one more talking about rule changes can't be that hard, although maybe I'm underestimating that

Many players on the server, even regulars, don't use the forums and are therefore unaware of the new rules.
This sounds like something that you, as an admin (eG), should make an effort to do more of. Read the forums.

This sounds like something that you, as an admin (eG), should make an effort to do more of. Read the forums.
I'm pretty active on the forums and always keep up to date with the new rules, I was more referring to the =(e)= tags who aren't as active, and are therefore misinformed.

I'm pretty active on the forums and always keep up to date with the new rules, I was more referring to the =(e)= tags who aren't as active, and are therefore misinformed.
Thanks for the clarity. Appreciate it :)

I'm going to leave this as a public opportunity for people to see poor choices and decisions in action.
Most admins don't even read the forums anyways, the only ones who do are either the ones who take admining for free to serious, or the ones who are bored outta their minds and just scroll through random shit. new rule changes should be more public rather then hiding behind a shit ton of written words on a forum thread that no one responded to, therefor the thread getting pushed down by a bunch of other random shit people post here. I didn't even know this suggestion tab existed until someone pointed it out to me. things like this shouldn't be hidden they should be in an area that can be seen if you want your servers to change. even I almost got banned a few weeks ago cause I didn't know there were changes to the rules. you cant just make someone read the forums even as an admin when they didn't know rules were changed and you deffintly cant just make someone read the forums when their doing everything they do for free. id recommend adding some incentive into reading the forums idk any but I bet you and the other board members can figure something out. just my recommendation

and oh yeah +ratio kuantum was in the right

Most admins don't even read the forums anyways, the only ones who do are either the ones who take admining for free to serious, or the ones who are bored outta their minds and just scroll through random shit. new rule changes should be more public rather then hiding behind a shit ton of written words on a forum thread that no one responded to, therefor the thread getting pushed down by a bunch of other random shit people post here. I didn't even know this suggestion tab existed until someone pointed it out to me. things like this shouldn't be hidden they should be in an area that can be seen if you want your servers to change. even I almost got banned a few weeks ago cause I didn't know there were changes to the rules. you cant just make someone read the forums even as an admin when they didn't know rules were changed and you deffintly cant just make someone read the forums when their doing everything they do for free. id recommend adding some incentive into reading the forums idk any but I bet you and the other board members can figure something out. just my recommendation

and oh yeah +ratio kuantum was in the right
The rules are not hidden. They are publicly posted and easy to access through the steam browser. It is necessary to have a "shit ton of written words" both for readability, formality, professionalism, and practicality. "dont freekill; you're rebelling if you shoot or go in armory, play the game and be CT" would not be very beneficial.

"therefor the thread getting pushed down". The server rules are pinned (and, again, also openable in the steam browser)
Screenshot 2021-11-26 201317.png

Like I said in my previous post.
Admins are encouraged to be lenient on new rules that players may not be aware about, and spreading the word on what / where the new rules are is always helpful as well.
If your guys' issue is that the rules are only on the forums; where else do you want them? Do you need a PowerPoint Presentation? Would you like a YouTube video? A TikTok?
The most important aspect of new rules is enforcement. I'm no Leadership but I would hope it's agreed that if a rule is brand new, admins will most likely be reminding and be less stringent on it. It is a cooperative effort from both players and admins to know the rules. Players are expected to read the rules, admins are expected to enforce the rules. Cooperation from both: players reading the rules when they start playing, learning the rules while they play, and admins clarifying and answering questions about the rules.

you cant just make someone read the forums even as an admin when they didn't know rules were changed and you deffintly cant just make someone read the forums when their doing everything they do for free
Any volunteer position has requirements and expectations. There are protocols, standards, and procedures regardless of if you're paid or not. If you do not wish to follow these, then obviously you may resign. At the end of the day I volunteer to make the servers more fun; taking 10 minutes out of my day on the rare occurence that the rules are updated seems like an acceptable expectation.

You can't force people to read the forums, dipshit.
We're not forcing people to. We are, however, expecting players to know (or at least follow) the rules. The rules are (as I've stated before) extremely accessible, and it is up to the players on whether they want to read them.

We already have scrolling messages that appear from time to time, adding one more talking about rule changes can't be that hard, although maybe I'm underestimating that
If the message was dismissable after every rule change (ie every rule update you'd have to dismiss it again) then I could see this being beneficial.

The rules are not hidden. They are publicly posted and easy to access through the steam browser.
you say that now, but ask any new players where the rules are. I guarantee you they wont know. My point was make them the top post, i didnt even know where they were until i just looked at your screenshot, why the hell are they at the bottom if all "admins" do are enforce them. make them the top of the cs thread not the very bottom of pinned, we dont needa know about the 5v5, their still hidden to the naked eye.
Any volunteer position has requirements and expectations. There are protocols, standards, and procedures regardless of if you're paid or not.
you can ask anyone whos admin if they really wanted it as a e tag, I know I didnt. all they do to promote people are pull a name out of a hat, its not luck and most people dont care to have it, i can say that knowing i was probably the only eG who was tryna make it fun and still deal with shit.
At the end of the day I volunteer to make the servers more fun;
you dont make them fun, dont ever think you do. no offense you were chill when we both were eG's but now you take this shit way to seriously. I despise playing on the same server with you cause your a nazi for the rules.
taking 10 minutes out of my day on the rare occurence that the rules are updated seems like an acceptable expectation.
sure 10 minutes is "acceptable" but most players are there to have fun, play with their friends, rdm them, mess around with them, shit like that. most players do not care about the rules and even if you were to ban every single person who doesnt care you would have dead servers, legend knows that.
The rules are (as I've stated before) extremely accessible
there hidden in a tab at the bottom of the pinned section. you have to search for them.
If your guys' issue is that the rules are only on the forums; where else do you want them? Do you need a PowerPoint Presentation? Would you like a YouTube video? A TikTok?
The most important aspect of new rules is enforcement. I'm no Leadership but I would hope it's agreed that if a rule is brand new, admins will most likely be reminding and be less stringent on it. It is a cooperative effort from both players and admins to know the rules. Players are expected to read the rules, admins are expected to enforce the rules. Cooperation from both: players reading the rules when they start playing, learning the rules while they play, and admins clarifying and answering questions about the rules.
in a dream world, even when i was admin i would care less if someone broke the rules. most admins dont care either from what ive seen, lets give an example someone rdms me 1 round ago, i make a report, he gets warned. next round he rdms me again but he can get out of a kick cause it was an "accident." next round comes along and rdms me again, he should of been kicked by now but from what ive seen most admins with chalk it up to a "warning" and move on. ADMINS DONT CARE about some dumbass volunteer work, all they do is admin when its directed twords them, and dont say you dont do that cause ive had numerous of times when ive reported an issue to you and i either never got a response or you chalked it up to multiple warnings. and when this happens it pushes players away and the servers die. give admin perms to people who want to help the community not people who just wanna seem cooler then other players. also most admins ive encountered dont answer my questions, i get no answer and have to go to a higher up to get my answer. i will give you the fact that you tried to be funny with the YouTube video shit, key word tried tho.

+ratio +discord admin +cringe

Why not make rules changes its own separate thread
exactly, put every single server underneath the same thread so you dont have to scroll miles down to find your server, it would make it more accessible. I guess le is just to lazy to make it more efficient.

you say that now, but ask any new players where the rules are. I guarantee you they wont know. My point was make them the top post, i didnt even know where they were until i just looked at your screenshot, why the hell are they at the bottom if all "admins" do are enforce them. make them the top of the cs thread not the very bottom of pinned, we dont needa know about the 5v5, their still hidden to the naked eye.

you can ask anyone whos admin if they really wanted it as a e tag, I know I didnt. all they do to promote people are pull a name out of a hat, its not luck and most people dont care to have it, i can say that knowing i was probably the only eG who was tryna make it fun and still deal with shit.

you dont make them fun, dont ever think you do. no offense you were chill when we both were eG's but now you take this shit way to seriously. I despise playing on the same server with you cause your a nazi for the rules.

sure 10 minutes is "acceptable" but most players are there to have fun, play with their friends, rdm them, mess around with them, shit like that. most players do not care about the rules and even if you were to ban every single person who doesnt care you would have dead servers, legend knows that.

there hidden in a tab at the bottom of the pinned section. you have to search for them.

in a dream world, even when i was admin i would care less if someone broke the rules. most admins dont care either from what ive seen, lets give an example someone rdms me 1 round ago, i make a report, he gets warned. next round he rdms me again but he can get out of a kick cause it was an "accident." next round comes along and rdms me again, he should of been kicked by now but from what ive seen most admins with chalk it up to a "warning" and move on. ADMINS DONT CARE about some dumbass volunteer work, all they do is admin when its directed twords them, and dont say you dont do that cause ive had numerous of times when ive reported an issue to you and i either never got a response or you chalked it up to multiple warnings. and when this happens it pushes players away and the servers die. give admin perms to people who want to help the community not people who just wanna seem cooler then other players. also most admins ive encountered dont answer my questions, i get no answer and have to go to a higher up to get my answer. i will give you the fact that you tried to be funny with the YouTube video shit, key word tried tho.

+ratio +discord admin +cringe
I'm not sure if you're drama baiting or just really upset. Either way, I think a lot of this post ventures away from the original purpose of the thread. We should probably discuss our gripes in admining with the Counter-Strike leaders. Let's...ya know...get back on track.

I'm not sure if you're drama baiting or just really upset. Either way, I think a lot of this post ventures away from the original purpose of the thread. We should probably discuss our gripes in admining with the Counter-Strike leaders. Let's...ya know...get back on track.
im not upset, i was speaking my mind toward the way the rules are set and how they are hidden to the naked eye. and MS MS hadda come argue against my post, i was just standing my ground. If anything you should be talking to msws for trying argue with me instead of saying i was in the wrong.

but a good recommendation legend is making the rules its own separate tab, and put all the servers on there i.e. rust, Minecraft, destiny, overwatch, and every cs server we have. it would clear a lot of the confusion up because you would see there's a new notification from that tab instead of having it at the dead bottom of the cs tab. just my two sense

In the Discord. Maybe even in a pop up when you join the server showing all the rules, it's simple really. Forums are an antiquated way of getting that info across to new players, especially the younger players who don't like forums. Just something more than "hey look at our basic and ugly forum for the rules we don't tell you in-game".
I'm going to leave this as a public opportunity for people to see poor choices and decisions in action.
Honestly he is right though, new players don't like forums and shouldn't be forced on them. Also there is a certain leadership who make poor decisions as well :)

Back