Looking for new keyboard

pillar

Poster Extraordinaire
Hey all, so I have an older Cooler Master Storm keyboard that came with a mouse (I'm sure I threw the mouse away since I was using a more superior mouse which was a Razer Diamondback back then). Anyways, the keyboard still works, but the led bulb inside is dying out and apparently I can't find a replacement bulb for it around (not even on ebay). Therefore I am on the hunt for a keyboard that isn't mechanical (can't stand how loud those are), but would like it to light up. Also am not looking to pay over $50 for it (still in college, hence the cost reason).

However, I did do a quick Google search and found that a local Target store is selling the HyperX Alloy Core RGB keyboard for $40+tax. Just curious if anyone has ever used this keyboard before.

If you can swing above your spending limit, I would suggest any Razer keyboard that fits your needs / wants. Lots of people bash and meme razer products, but every product I’ve owned from them has been beyond reliable and have taken a significant amount of abuse. For example, I’m still using a razer mouse from 2013 and it is still flawless.

If not, redragon products are usually pretty good and have some lower cost keyboards

I agree with Daddy Succ Daddy Succ

I have a razer cynosa chroma keyboard thats been getting heavy use since 2019. The only issue that has come up is my W A S D keys are getting worn, but that is probably gonna happen with any keyboard (and individual keys are usually cheap and replacible, if you are bothered enough to do that)

Cant speak on other razer keyboards, but I have never had any issue with any razer product

Last edited:
I have never had a razer keyboard, but I have had mice and headsets. In my experience products are trash, every mouse I've had the left click goes out within a few months, and the headset sound quality for the price is mediocre. There are loads of decent mechanical keyboards with different switches that you may prefer, but sadly I don't know anywhere that has switches you can test.

for a keyboard I would go for corsar k70 - prebuild
if you are wanting a keyboard that you make, I would say the gas65 or LK67

The lk67 has a knob

You could order another CM Storm haha. A lot of mechanical keyboards can be noisy if you check this video out below this is a sound test of 29 switches(controls the sound) additionally if you get a keyboard and think its way to loud you can get 'dampeners' which are tiny rubber bands that go on the switches also linked below.

Video:

Dampeners:
https://www.amazon.com/ThreeBulls-120Pcs-Dampeners-Keyboards-Dampers/dp/B01N75JL0F/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=switch+dampeners&qid=1655525763&sprefix=switch+dam,aps,904&sr=8-3

EDIT: Here is a link to the dev 3 https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Devastator-Keyboard-Settings/dp/B072N93MLB?th=1

Last edited:
Just in general for keyboards, I usually recommend Ducky. Everything from 60% to full size. Good quality. Easy software to use. LED if you're into that. All kinds of switches. $90-$150 depending on what board you want. Mechanicalkeyboards.com is the best place to buy them if the one you want isn't on Amazon.

If you can swing above your spending limit, I would suggest any Razer keyboard that fits your needs / wants. Lots of people bash and meme razer products, but every product I’ve owned from them has been beyond reliable and have taken a significant amount of abuse. For example, I’m still using a razer mouse from 2013 and it is still flawless.

If not, redragon products are usually pretty good and have some lower cost keyboards
I agree with everything he said and I couldn't have said it better. Besides that one Razer Naga Trinity mouse I got used that had both the left click and scroll wheel go out in a year, I have been so so satisfied with Razer and Redragon's Griffin mouse was my replacement when the Naga went BWOL (Broken without leave) and it's done me well. Inferior, but cheaper as well, so it's a trade-off. I would assert that for what you get, Redragon is underpriced.

amazon has the best keyboards for a budget, especially mechnical ones, i reckon you always check amazon, considering the black friday sale is coming

Back