Important The Minecraft Identity

BUTTERLOVER7683

Da Dawg Wit Da Budduh
Advisor
Hey blockheads,

Over the past few years, Minecraft in EdgeGamers has been on something of a yo-yo diet. We’ve been bouncing between servers in an attempt to attract new players and retain the ones we have. In doing so, we lost sight of where we came from, of what our identity is, and we’ve suffered because of it. For that, we’re sorry.

Going forward, we want to set a standard for our server that you as players can hold us accountable for. This standard is based on what EdgeGamers was founded on in the first place: creating an enjoyable, family-friendly, punk-free, collaborative experience. We’ve tried so hard to appeal to every possible niche, but we stretched the fabric of the community until it ripped, not only amongst our own team but among the many other teams and members around the community advocating for our success day in and day out.

The primary guiding principle we’re adopting is predictability. We will go back to our roots, offering the standard Survival experience always, with no exceptions, while providing the opportunity for friendly competition through activities, hosted or solo. In case that wasn’t clear enough, let me reiterate the point more plainly: we will be going back to having a staple Survival and Events server. Period.

Predictability for Minecraft goes far beyond just knowing what types of servers we have, it’s also about knowing how they will change in the future. We want to establish a precedent in this post right now. Survival will reset when a new version of Minecraft releases. We’ll obviously need a resting period in-between to allow our plugins to be updated, but expect the server to reset around that time. We understand it might be discouraging for some players to know that someday your build will be reset, everything goes back to zero, and you start over. However, we hope the builds come second to what’s most important: community. How do you ever hope to build a newfound sense of community if nothing changes? Sometimes we need to start from scratch to help things grow. Every new change to the game is an opportunity for grander builds and better friendships. Additionally, it should be an expectation of players that copies of the world file will be freely available for download at the end of a map’s life in the event you’d like to revisit your creations.

Events will follow much of the same philosophy. New activities will not be released without community feedback and frequent updates on development will be provided. We don’t want to add something new no one will like. Our Event Coordinators will be receptive to your ideas and attempt to implement them as best as possible with the tools they have on hand. It’s also in this post we’d like to remind everyone we’re only human. We’ll try to make everyone's dreams come true, but sometimes we will just have to say no.

While we would like to see ourselves supporting a plethora of player experiences including modpacks, Skyblock, Prisons, Factions, Bedwars, and others, at this point in our history, we do not have the bandwidth to support these projects. If our Survival and Events servers begin seeing major success, we can talk about investing time and money into these grand projects, but no longer will they be off-the-cuff decisions. Adding a server should be a big deal and must have the support of a majority of our community.

More details on how exactly these servers will operate, especially when dealing with the economy, will become known as it gets closer to its release and we’ve reflected with the community on the best possible changes. Just know along with our primary guiding principle of predictability, we’re adopting simplicity. If a new player can’t understand what’s going on, we’ve gone too far. Survival will see itself become much easier to digest and may not be exactly what you’ve come to expect of our Minecraft servers in the modern era. Yet, we hope to make the servers just as good, if not better, than they ever have been.

Again, we’re sorry for our inconsistency over these past few years. We look forward to working with everyone on building the future of EdgeGamers Minecraft you want to see.

Regards,
~ The Minecraft Leadership Team

P.S. Be on the lookout for details regarding a Square Table Meeting. Join us in Discord to get in on the conversation! https://discord.gg/egominecraft

Last edited:
I've joined the eGO minecraft server twice and was very confused on how the zombies mode worked (Even with help of other admins/LE) and left it behind because I thought the zombies mode just wasn't for me. I will definitely join again when the server gets back to survival. Can't wait to join you all!

I'd also see myself on the Minecraft server more if it were survival. Can't wait to see how it's done. Of course though, I'd find it a little more fun to see the town type thing implemented into it. Where you can claim land you want and other players wouldn't be able to claim too close to you. But that's something the Minecraft Team can decide when they figure it out. :)

I'd also see myself on the Minecraft server more if it were survival. Can't wait to see how it's done. Of course though, I'd find it a little more fun to see the town type thing implemented into it. Where you can claim land you want and other players wouldn't be able to claim too close to you. But that's something the Minecraft Team can decide when they figure it out. :)
We normally use GriefPrevention for claiming on our Survival servers (much much much less tedious than Towny to set up and use, but operates much the same way, but with more freedom). We do have a written rule for Survival that claims may not be too close together without both people consenting, so that shouldn't be too much of a worry!

Survival is really fun, only questions i have is

1. will nether be enable
2. will end be enable
3. if end is enabled will elytra's be obtainable? it wouldnt be fun if 1 persons gets all of them and hoards em
4. if elytra's are obtainable would you consider them only obtainable from event keys? BUTTERLOVER7683 BUTTERLOVER7683

Survival is really fun, only questions i have is

1. will nether be enable
2. will end be enable
3. if end is enabled will elytra's be obtainable? it wouldnt be fun if 1 persons gets all of them and hoards em
4. if elytra's are obtainable would you consider them only obtainable from event keys? BUTTERLOVER7683 BUTTERLOVER7683
All super good questions!
  1. Absolutely. We want this experience to be as close to vanilla survival as possible, with a more chill, friendly vibe.
  2. See above.
  3. We're currently reviewing a couple of methods to fix the scarcity problem. As a whole team, we reached a split decision on how best to approach this. I encourage you to attend the square meeting when it's scheduled as this will undoubtedly be one of the talking points!
  4. Event rewards are definitely on the table as a solution to this problem, but some people have expressed that people who aren't good at events will simply be excluded. Like I said, it's on the table, but if you'd like to advocate for that position more strongly, the square table will be the place to do it!
Keep the questions coming!

We normally use GriefPrevention for claiming on our Survival servers (much much much less tedious than Towny to set up and use, but operates much the same way, but with more freedom). We do have a written rule for Survival that claims may not be too close together without both people consenting, so that shouldn't be too much of a worry!
that works too. Can't wait to see. :)

Event rewards are definitely on the table as a solution to this problem, but some people have expressed that people who aren't good at events will simply be excluded. Like I said, it's on the table, but if you'd like to advocate for that position more strongly, the square table will be the place to do it!
I think you can do non skill based events as well. Or atleast different skills than the normal pvp, climb and horse racing skills. You could do quizes, something like drawing/build battles but also things like a knock off powerball lotery where you can buy entry tickets with recourses. Would love to see different events happen :) (btw plz make them eu friendly or I will cry)

Last edited:
I think you can do non skill based events as well. Or atleast different skills than the normal pvp, climb and horse racing skills. You could do quizes, something like drawing/build battles but also things like a knock off powerball lotery where you can buy entry tickets with recourses. Would love to see different events happen :) (btw plz make them eu friendly or I will cry)
We'll definitely keep things like Mastermind around. And we're talking about separate planned build contests as well! There may also be an element of chance thrown in there like in the old days (those of you who know will know). As for EU-friendly, the EC's we've got are only human. They'll do their best.

Will PvP be enabled or will there be PvP events? I feel like it would bring a nice aspect to the game.

Also maybe we can have the events on the main server so that all the players stay on the server to draw the player count?
Maybe the events could be broken down after completion so nothing is left behind after the event.

By PvP events I mean people fighting each other with things they obtain while doing minecraft things rather than the races / climbing.
The PvP would be friendly so that if people fight / die it isn't to steal each others items but rather just to fight. Items should be left alone so the player can pick them back up.

Will PvP be enabled or will there be PvP events? I feel like it would bring a nice aspect to the game.

Also maybe we can have the events on the main server so that all the players stay on the server to draw the player count?
Maybe the events could be broken down after completion so nothing is left behind after the event.

By PvP events I mean people fighting each other with things they obtain while doing minecraft things rather than the races / climbing.
The PvP would be friendly so that if people fight / die it isn't to steal each others items but rather just to fight. Items should be left alone so the player can pick them back up.
So PvP has been a super contentious thing over the years and is really the prime example of the "appealing to every niche" problem we've had. Several of our servers have just absolutely fallen on their face that they were PvP-focused because most players just aren't looking for that experience. We talked about this with Advisors and we think it would be best to have a designated area where people can PvP on the main server, but PvP won't be on throughout the whole world. This is something that can be contested during the Square Table meeting, but we are very sure of our position on PvP. Events, however, will certainly see PvP elements. We had things like The Pit and OITC in the past that we can fairly easily re-implement.

The Events will be held on the Events server. The player count for the overall server is the sum of players on all of the servers in the network thanks to Bungee, so the player count should not be an issue. Also, due to the nature of how much work it takes to construct these events, it is simply not viable to break down and rebuild these events every time they happen, not to mention the number of command blocks some of them take. This will also help to ensure Events do not hinder the performance of the Survival server.

There will also likely be opportunities for more involved PvP events like tournaments (we held a super successful one a good long while ago). If there are any others you'd like to advocate for, I definitely encourage you to come to the Square Table to talk them out when we get to talking about Events!

Absolutely looking forward to the new (I suppose revived is a better word) survival server. As interesting as Zombies was, it wasn't really for me. I'm not sure if I'll be on that often as my playstyle in MC is generally all or nothing, and I likely don't have the time for all, but I'll definitely give it a try. Good luck MC team, hope to see the server thriving again.

P.S. Please, please no more Towny claims that don't let you mine anywhere else. I'm assuming that's a Zombies thing only.

will there be a black market on the server that LE can change the item? whether it changes daily or weekly, that will cost items gain throughout adventuring, and wont be told what is needed to purchase it,

this is just an example: silk touch mending pickaxe: will cost 2400 bamboo and last 8 hours before a new item is in stock?

will there be a black market on the server that LE can change the item? whether it changes daily or weekly, that will cost items gain throughout adventuring, and wont be told what is needed to purchase it,

this is just an example: silk touch mending pickaxe: will cost 2400 bamboo and last 8 hours before a new item is in stock?
A black market sounds cool. Have a daily, weekly and a monthly item.

This can certainly be lobbied for at the Square Table Meeting as economy is definitely the biggest hot-button issue. In general, in all discussions with leadership and advisors, we all agreed we'd like to avoid incentivizing senseless grinding for items like tearing apart a bamboo forest or destroying a mesa for an item you could otherwise obtain by just playing the game. I could see this idea maybe working for having the scarce items up on the shop cyclically for money from voting (one of the approaches we're talking about), but again, let's talk about it at the meeting.

I've joined the eGO minecraft server twice and was very confused on how the zombies mode worked (Even with help of other admins/LE) and left it behind because I thought the zombies mode just wasn't for me. I will definitely join again when the server gets back to survival. Can't wait to join you all!
same here

Back