No sound in steam

S

Synth3t1c

It all started when I watched a movie (.avi) I downloaded from a private tracker. I have checked it and it is 100% virus free.

The sound was a bit low, but nothing too bad; I just thought it was the download.

Well, I pull up steam, and I have no sound. I can hear myself in the mic, and the game volume is all the way up. What gives?

are you running on speakers or a headset?
if running on a headset and speakers, did u watch the movie on the speakers then plug your headphones in after starting dods? ( or vice versa) If so, just exit dods, go to control panel>sound > audio devices and make sure what you use is set as default sound ( top bar). Then start up dods and try it again.

ive tried both, they both dont work.

I've verified that it only happens on DOD:S

fixed it, and what an easy fix it was.

I found a registry entry that changes when you change the speaker config. Sound only works with headphones or 2 speaker config (for whatever reason). turns off a registry setting; but thats how to fix it for the registry disabled.

[quote1181367839=Synth3t1c]
It all started when I watched a movie (.avi) I downloaded from a private tracker. I have checked it and it is 100% virus free.
[/quote1181367839]
Sometimes other software or vids will mess with sound settings. I used to have problems with quicktime. After it is installed it wants to take over. Whenever I removed it, I lost my sound control on the system tray because it removes a shared dll file during the uninstall. That's why I no longer have quicktime on my pc. What a pain in the neck it was.

BTW Synth, good job tonight with coordinating the ally attacks, very impressive. You remind me of one of the officers in our navy unit. He had the gift too. Not me, I just stroke the trigger and let my weapons reach out and touch someone :) Then of course the demo....

Another result you might want to try is changing your CODEC. IT seems that as we switch from VOIP to game to a movie or mp3, etc, we change the Codec our sound cards or on board audio relies upon, even subtle changes will effect how you listen thru multiple sources.

Back