Early History

In the Beginning, there was chaos.​

There was no Steam, only Valve. Valve used a system called WonId that would go down for days at a time. Updates to Valve?s games were distributed by hosting companies like FilePlanet that could take hours in queue before you got a terribly slow download. Then when you were lucky enough to get it downloaded, if you did not follow the instructions carefully you had to uninstall and reinstall everything in a certain order. It was maddening.

In this new and frightening world, there were few servers and many players. It was the golden age of TeamFortess Classic, CounterStrike and Day of Defeat Classic.

In those days, small groups of players began to band together and form ?Clans.? These Clans had two purposes: to pay for servers, and to deal with the punks that plague us even today.

One clan began to lay the foundations of EdgeGamers, the tag they wore was -=R|P=- standing for Resistance Platoon. RP was owned by a girl named Mooftress. There were many titans back in those days. Some of the names you will see wearing our tag. Those include:

Deacon (RP?s GSP), Elldallan (RP Council), Cpt. Elvis, Tech Sgt. Starbuck, SadSak, Kraut Killer (RP Council). Regulars to the old server back in those days before recorded history included: Mr. Orange, Mr. Blonde, The Cleric, and Tourette T.A.,

Additions from 2002 through 2006 would include:
Artimus (RP Council), JohnT (RP Council), Slayr (RP Council), Kamikaze Tommy (RP Council) StationaryNomad, Social*Butterfly, Wicka Shplicka, Primal Scream
Private Rookie, Slipknot, Dirt Nap, Scorned, WakkaWakkaWakka and Angreifen. There were several regulars from this time, most notably Drunken Sailor.

Other refugees from the demise of DoD Classic came from Fraggers Central, Z and Vicious , the Kustom Kettle guys, FranktheTank and a few other old timers. Most notably and famously Kendle from DoD and Red Orchestra.

At the end of the Golden Era, with the release of Source, turmoil began in most of the old Clans. The system changed and they could not respond. Pok?mon for Adults took its toll on many of them as well. RP tried to respond and with funds from Artimus, JohnT, Slayr, Kamakaze Tommy and a few others opened a DoD Source Avalanche server the day that Source came out that was very popular. But it lacked admins and would soon start to fade away.

It was in this second reign of chaos that Artimus and JohnT broke the mold and struck a new course in this new age of Gaming. It was then, in late June of 2006 Artimus came up with the name for EdgeGamers. Artimus had four reasons for the name:

1. eGO worked well with our new idea of promotions (yes, EdgeGamers pioneered the trend of recruits, entry level admins and admins. It has since been copied many times.)

2. EGO is the German word for First Person Shooter

3. Everyone said that when we broke from our old clan that we had big ego?s

4. Artimus and JohnT were big into Snowboarding at the time and we were using the word Edgy for ?cutting edge? all the time.

This trumped JohnT?s idea of MoB for Mean Old Bastards. And in hindsight it was a good thing, despite the fit JohnT threw at the time.

With a new name and some new ideas, Artimus and JohnT decided to go live:

Wednesday 05 July 2006 - 19:37:24 EdgeGamers Forum opened

Thursday, 06 July 2006 ? EdgeGamers opens its first server, DoD:S Avalanche

Wednesday 12 July 2006 Tech. Sgt. Starbuck has recommended a change to the tag, which has been endorsed by everyone active in the forums. From now on our new tags will be =(eGO)= and =(eG)=.

December 18th, 2006 the last time the old -=R|P=- Classic Avalanche server was full, the day Classic died.

January 1st, 2007. RP declined to pay for its DoD Source Avalanche server, the first server open on the day DoD Source came out. Six months after EdgeGamers rented its first server, it picked up RP?s DoD:S server from Deacon and turned into the Donner server.

Those of us who were around in for EdgeGamers 6th month anniversary will remember the handwringing that went on about renting a ?2nd Server!? Can we fill a second server? Will it be successful? Would anyone want to play Donner? We spent many many cell phone minutes agonizing over this question.

How did we find Kendle? That story next time in the Saga of eGO.

Last edited:
I love the code monkey song.

I feel so enlightened reading this. We should have a history section of eGO with details by founding members. That would rock.

As for why JohnT is an attorney rather than a writer, you have to understand that most attorneys must be decent writers, but getting paid for stories is much like getting paid to play basketball--even many people with exceptional skill will never be paid for their stories. Attorneys just bill by the hour. :)

Ok, added the part about Tech redesigning the tag.

I designed the first tag I think...maybe I had help with it, but everyone liked Tech's so we switched.

Deacon, your roll is worthy of it's own news post.

This is cool and I never realized you guys all came out of those clans and had roots in WON (shudders). It makes me wonder how many refugees we have here from the other old clans....

WOW.... Ty John T for the eGO history!!!!
I think and i hope all members ... admins or not are going to do our best to give the first place to all servers!!
And John please give a BIG kiss to your baby for me ;) I love childrens i've got one ;)

Back