Immersive Day & Night Cycle

Would you like to see a 24/h day and night cycle in the server

• Total voters

jeremy_duck

The long winded post guy
=(eGO)=
Hello Everyone,

So a few years ago I made a request for a immersive day & night cycle. And what this would entail would be a full fledged 24 hour day and night cycle, what this would mean would be pretty basic to understand, the way earth has its night and day is the same way our server should have it (I.e; Daylight comes around 8am, night comes around 8pm)

Today I am making the request again - Let me explain why I think this should be added, and discuss pro's and con's.

So First - Why suggest this in the first place?
So I used to play a game called DAYZ Mod, and back in the day it was based off arma 2, arma to was a realistic combat sim and certain servers had a realistic 24 hour day and night cycle, such that when it got dark IRL, it started to get dark in game. thus some people would wait for night time to do certain things like looting, base building, hunting players, etc. It was always really interesting to have a real day and night cycle because you got REALLY IMMERSIED in the gameplay, and I miss those times a lot and would love to see a return to that type of 24hour schedule in our FiveM server.

Secondly - Why should this be added?
Pass the goal of having a more immersive server I think there are a lot of reasons why this should be added. For example, imagine you are a criminal on foot running from police after doing a night time robbery, you now have a slight advantage based off when you decided to rob the place (day or night) and since you did it at night it would be harder for police to spot you (But Jeremy, GTA nights are super bright and you can see everything - hold on, i'm getting to that) Now put yourself in the place of the officer, guess what, your movable spot light has a real effective use to actually light up darkened areas, searching the area with an actual search light. Not to mention the insane effectiveness of air one in these situations (more discussion could be had on if the heli should only use the spotlight at night instead of infrared cam)

but also you need to think about the effects this has on the server, maybe criminals will start planning their crime based off the day and night cycle, maybe the dev team could build things to act differently based off the time of day (ex; banks having there front doors locked at night - longer alarm trigger/more time to rob if done at night) - police could literally have people dedicated to a day shift and a night shift - night shift = more crazy crime | day shift = less crazy crime. - Something id love to mention is that this will make our server unique, I did a bit of researching and haven't found any fiveM servers advertising themselves as a 24/h day and night cycle server we would potentially be offering something other server are not (or at least the bigger servers are not)

Questions:
But what happens if a player needs to store money at a bank during the night?

- have 1-3 un-robbable banks that you can store money at that's open 24/7 | or allow ATMs to accept money & mark them on the map
But what about food, will stores close, gas stations etc?
- 24/7 stores, player ran businesses and gas stations should all remain open 24/7 (player ran businesses is up to the player ofc)
I live in a different time zone does this mean ill only ever see one time of day?
- yes and no, it depends on how the 24/h is setup you could make it so day time happens 2-3 hours earlier and in turn night time happens 2-3 hours earlier making it more efficient for EU players to see both times of the day | or depending on how early you get on it could be deep deep midnight or early early morning so you would catch some of the night. I don't think this is a deal breaker though even if my suggested solutions wouldn't work. (just because its not night time doesn't mean crime doesn't work / there are no criminals / there are no rpers | people will still do there things)
But night time isn't dark enough to achieve what you are looking for.
NVE has a thing called darker nights - the server has a thing where they can force a certain thing on all players, idk how it entirely works but I know the functionality is there, I'm willing to help the DEV team figure this out with research and my own time. im not suggesting using darker nights from NVE specifically, but i know if they made something like that, someone else has done it aswell.
Sandy will be too dark.
You can request to your city council to add streetlights to sandy - then the dev team can add streetlights to the roads at sandy (to my understanding this is an easy task - idk how its saved per the server but I know gta has streetlight props you can place)

Now lets just discuss pro's and cons as is:

Pro's

• A more immersive world
  • Able to plan crime around day and night cycle for a small advantage
  • Banks can have different behaviors depending on if its day or night (locked doors at night - takes longer to tripp the alarm | open doors at day - takes less time to tripp alarm)
  • Gives all role-players & types a different playing field at night time (cops, crims, civs, investigators, judges, da's, street racers, drug dealers, money launderers) night is now something you actively can think about.
  • Makes are server something more unique
  • Potentially have a more predictable server (people plan crime for night and do regular RP for day, not to say crime wouldn't happen but id imagine a lot of huge crime would happen at night)

Con's
  • Some people don't like longer nights thus if thats the only time they could play it might be upsetting or annoying.
  • Realism sometimes takes a step to far
  • if all big crime is planned for nights some EU players who are cops or crims wouldn't be able to participate in it
  • Some people play for an hour and there hour would only see an hour of day time instead of 24min of day and night.

-- Addressing the con's
- Some people dont like longer nights

Do a 12 hour cycle instead 8 hours of day, 4 hours of night. (I.e; 8am = day time until 4pm | then from 4pm to 8pm is night time, then it turns day again - goes against immersion but is better than 24minute day and night cycles.)
- Realism sometimes takes a step to far
I agree some times it does, not in this case though.
- If all big crime is planned for nights some EU players wont be able to participate.
Do a 12 hour cycle instead 8 hours of day, 4 hours of night. (I.e; 8am = day time until 4pm | then from 4pm to 8pm is night time, then it turns day again - goes against immersion but is better than 24minute day and night cycles.)
- Some people play for an hour and there hour would only see an hour of day time instead of 24min of day and night.
I don't think this is a bad thing.

-----

Be all end all is this, I think it would change the server for the better (even though we are doing amazing) to change our day and night cycle to a 24/h day and night cycle - and it doesn't need to be a permanent thing, this is something LE could test pretty easily without adding the darker night mod or even adding any type of modification to sandy, they could just pick a day and say, lets try this thing and see how it feels to us and the server. - i'm not suggesting change this immediately without testing it with our server & community and never ever change it back. but I'm saying open up to a different type of day and night cycle.

A poll is found at the bottom vote please.

I love this idea, however, I honestly think the time shouldn't be around an EST Time zone. Perhaps if night was 11 PM to 11 AM and day 11 AM to 11 PM. This would give more time for different players to be in the different times.

no from me.

Right now I play at random times, often in the day and I like to see the medic lights and my underglows on my POVs at night lol

It Would be too much night cycle for us normal time of day players in the evening.

It's a no from me. Too much night makes for a depressing gaming experience. I like the regular cycle we have now, allows multiple days to occur in one day.

This system would limit people's experience based on their IRL availability.

I wouldn't be opposed to extending day and night to an hour per alternating, but not much more than that. At least that way you can schedule crimes for specific times of day based on the hour.

As Cryptic said, the 24-hour system, and really the 12-hour as well, can limit experience and even immersion for some players depending on when they're able to play. Perhaps extending the day to like a 3-hour cycle would work well. Days can be 2 hours, nights 1 hour; or both can be 1.5 hours.

cool idea but like you mention, as an EU player I would HATE this. Personally I think the 48 minute day default gta weather system is the best

Maybe theres a conversation to be hard with increasing the day and night time by like, 20mins tops, but it seems to me no one wants this idea to happen.

Personally I'm all for it. Either it be a 3/6/12/24 hour time cycle - would all be a neat idea.

The one and only issue would be re-configuring the current scripts and in some cases. updating them to be based on time would be a huge undertaking with getting them just right for everyone who's on to enjoy.

It would be neat to have bank doors locked at 7PM in-game time and open at 6AM (even for bank truck drivers, forcing them do work in the day) while also having the bank doors lockpick-able for those who want to rob the bank during the night.

House robberies included. Maybe during the day when you break in there's a chance that the person is ready for you to break in or "at work" and during the night (I think it's like this) but you need to be quiet or you'll wake them up.

Having stores such as the Pawn Shop only open during specific hours as well, and the material seller person at the construction site just disappear during the night.

All of the possibilities could be endless for immersion and make for (in some cases) better roleplay and planning for those who wish to do illegal stuff.

Jay Jay Your enthusiasm for adjusting the day and night cycle is duly noted, but consider the wider implications of such a change. Many players may be adversely affected depending upon their real-life schedule and location. The Leadership must prioritize an experience that caters to the entire community's diverse needs. While immersion is important, it must not come at the cost of the system's accessibility and functionality for all players. I encourage you to share further ideas, but keep in mind the broader effects on the gaming community as a whole.

Jay Jay Your enthusiasm for adjusting the day and night cycle is duly noted, but consider the wider implications of such a change. Many players may be adversely affected depending upon their real-life schedule and location. The Leadership must prioritize an experience that caters to the entire community's diverse needs. While immersion is important, it must not come at the cost of the system's accessibility and functionality for all players. I encourage you to share further ideas, but keep in mind the broader effects on the gaming community as a whole.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

I could see it being a twice a month event or something but for an over all change it would kill my enjoyment of the server as id only see it in the morning.

I believe keeping it how it is now would probably be the best option for all at this point. While having different times would be neat for some it would be a drag for others who may never get to see other time-cycles due to their location IRL. Better dynamic weather sure, time-cycle would be a No From me!

Back