My computer it lives (need networking help too)

Rogue Sniper

EGO Is My Life!
=(eGO)=
Okay as most of you know my PSU fried bout month or so ago and finally i got a brand spankin new PSU. my computer runs fine and everything hdd,GPU, dvd, cpu, all that is fine and nothing was fried thanx to enermax' over and under volt,watt, and w/e else protection.

also im networking both my comps to get files (25 GB) and using my computer as gateway (2 ethernet ports) and trying to file share but my comp can see its self (not other computer) but other comp is rejecting even getting to " view workgroup computers ", it can access my internet from my computer (2 comps on 1 56K!! not to slow :) ) Ive tried running the network wizard but still doesnt allow meyone

anyhave any idea why other computer is rejecting doing what im telling it to doso i cant even get to " view workgroup computers ", thx

Basicly:
Computer (2) {Clienty} doesnt see Computer (1) {Gateway} (or itself) but can use internet

First in network connecitons right click your network card, press properties and make sure both have the client for micrsoft networks and file and print sharing for Microsoftnetworks installed and turned on.

Second turn off your windows fire wall.

Third double check both machines are on the same network.

Restart both and see if it works.

well both comps have built in gigabit LAN ports and file sharing is on and installed, and firewall is off

turned off norton's firewalls now not rejecting trying to get to my network aka "mshome" but cant see its self or other comp like it should be able to.
so getting closer though

When I run into a problem like that I power everything down. Both computers and router. I turn on both computers. Then when they are both up and running I plug the router back in.

XP Pro 32bit

not using a router technically my comp that has 2 ethernet ports acts as a router and ive restarted both many times

If I understand you correctly rogue you're got two networks - a public and a private - and a system in the middle connecting the two together, like this:

Net1 (Private) <-> Computer (Gateway) <-> Net2 (Internet/Public)

Because there are two different networks involved your PC will have to function as a router so it can pass traffic between the two networks. Installing two NIC's just puts two net interfaces on your system - it does not enable your PC to do any type of routing. This is why you can't pass between networks unless you're on the PC being used as a gateway (it is aware of both networks so it can pass traffic, the other system is only aware of the network it is on so it can't pass traffic to any other network without another device to do the routing) You're going to want to look into ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) which is built into XP. This should accomplish what you're after.

MS KB article on setting up ICS in XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

There are also tons of articles and how-to's on the web. Just search for Windows XP ICS in Google or your favorite search engine.

okay got it redid network setup with norton's firewalls off and works fine...
thank to all who help

PS. Norton IS / AV sux dont go with it

try a ping... see if your at least pinging to each other it could be a router issue... not assigning a Default gateway.

nope they connect its just norton was blocking files to be sent to one another... thats why i go with Trend Micro or AVG cause they dont screw up routing and file sharing issues

[quote1182303680=Scragg]
Did you share the drives you want to see from each computer and make sure you have mathicng login names and passowrds on both?
[/quote1182303680]

everything was fine just norton firewalled it pretty much being a punk to me... (it has power issues)

[quote1182575344=Scragg]
ahh yep... that norton firewall is evil.
[/quote1182575344]

it hates us... stealing our money and locking our comps down to "protect" us... they're not trust worthy

Back