How to notice cheaters..

EmoRaiden[DAM]

Ok just wondering. Playing on AVA right now with wonderbread and this certain individual colson is doing lets say awesome. his current k/d was like 92/12 and some people were complaining he had signs of using cheats. I'm not really experienced with this kind of stuff and the only people on were me, mann, and wonderbread. Mann and I both went to spec to watch him to see if we could see anything. Immediately afterwards he stopped attacking and just sorta ran around axis base with his spade. I just want to hear your views on special things to look for and what we should do next time if this should happen.

There are a lot of ways to scout out for hackers and notice them.

1. How many kills they got in a short amount of time. Consistently. Meaning that it's just not pure luck or skill. If you notice that a person is getting consistent kills numerous times, check it out.

2. Where he hits. Ask your team mates what parts the suspect has hit. There will be people who will set something called an aim bot to just aim straight for the head for every shot. Some will add in chest, head, maybe even arms.

3. When in spectate, check out the movements of the person. There are no specifics, and sometimes it's hard to tell, but you can check if the person is maphacking and auto-aiming. For example, you see the suspect looking constantly at walls, while actually the person could be following up where the opposing team is. A person who does not know how to configure an aim bot or uses a weird one, you can notice very weird movements. ie. moving from person to person right away and firing . It can go on into more in-depth, but that's just the general idea.

4. If someone is pulling off some crazy shots, question it. Don't have to assume, just keep it in mind for the first few moments before coming to a conclusion.

But in this case, this person fired one shot at me from axis's first flag balcony all the way to the top of apartments for a head shot. Could not demo as he left when I went spectate.

By the way raiden, this could be taken to the request ban section.

yeah that guy was no doubt cheating, walled me a few times shot me from across the map with a stg in the head hitting 200 dmg multiple times.

Yes but iv seen some very good players who dont cheat and have good kd records it just that they are realy good.

^^Just go to console and type "record <name of demo>"

And if you do go into spec to watch somebody, dont make it so darned obvious what you're really doing. Dont do it right after he kills you. Say you gotta go eat, brb in 20 minutes or something.

The other thing about the demo is after you type record *name* immediately type sb_status in console. If you don't, the council cannot submit ti to vavle for his account to be perma banned

There are some people like Caesar who have tons of practice. In his case he uses the kar98 ironsight. People accuse him of cheating but he has skill. The only way you can know that person is cheating is to make a demo. So no luck for now unless he comes to our servers again.

Ok see ya didn't know about that kind of stuff but that will help if he comes back. He did later under Mark IVIV or something like that.

[quote1182105053=OutbreaK]
blue cheese, does that make an actual avi file??
[/quote1182105053]

If it does your demo is going to be a couple hundred megs and you won't be able to use console.

Also, finding hackers/botters takes a certain amount of experience. If you aren't ever sure, make contact with another admin via the PM (hit team chat, @ <message>), and make sure you let them know of any suspicion you may have. Look up videos of hackers/botters, and look at their movements, look at how they play, and how they react. That's a fairly (FAIRLY) good tool and tip for it, but actually being able to determine hacks from skill, especially on a game like this, will take time and a lot of experience with both.

Like every one says, demo demo demo. Make a demo, make sure you know why you're recording it (i.e. wallhack, aimbot, multihack, etc.), and review it yourself. Make sure it's legit enough to send in, and if you have any reservations on ANY portion of it, make note of where its at, and send it in to admins for review with those notes. Multiple opinions are your greatest friend when determining a botter or hacker, especially if it's someone who wasn't playing against the suspect, just in case those feelings towards the person may be biased.

If I get suspicious, which is rare, I usually look at a player's movement. If they're making good shots and have a good score, movement can often separate skill from aimbots. Good players move a certain way around a map, and they move a certain way when fighting somebody. If the suspicious person puts themselves in bad positions and kills only by his aiming skill, that player should be question. But, without a demo, nothing is certain. Movement should only be used as an indicator and not as a guilty verdict.

record playername
sb_status
stop

[quote1182184091=[Toothpaste]Aquafres]
If I get suspicious, which is rare, I usually look at a player's movement. If they're making good shots and have a good score, movement can often separate skill from aimbots. Good players move a certain way around a map, and they move a certain way when fighting somebody. If the suspicious person puts themselves in bad positions and kills only by his aiming skill, that player should be question. But, without a demo, nothing is certain. Movement should only be used as an indicator and not as a guilty verdict.

record playername
sb_status
stop
[/quote1182184091]QFT. The most recent hacker I've seen was pulling off insane shots but was dumb as heck. Of course, it helped when I first started to notice him that he iron-sighted into a wall. xD

Back