New Machine....

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Random Hero

I made one post
Hey guys im getting ready to drop a lot of money into a cutsom desktop i got all the parts picked out but if you guys got any link to some new interesting stuff or any suggestions that would be awsome or some other sites besides new egg and tiger direct so thanks just lemme know thanks

intel > amd
nvidia > ati
RAID 0 with reliable drives > RAID 1 with crappy ones
ASUS P5WD2 motherboard ftw.
1 gig ram is standard, but 533mhz is the best you can find... still, having 800mhs FSB is a good thing to have for future upgrades.
get a friend in Europe so he could send you a Gainward video card (best there is): www.gainward.com

get a:
cpu: intel core 2 duo
gfx card: ati radeon x1900xtx (or x1950 when it comes out later)o and dont get nvidia.. theyre cheapo punks
ram: 1gig (2 gigs if u want to play 2 games at the same time... which i do.. and plz dont ask me why :p)
hard drive:.... er whatever yuri said
and get some good cooling

by reliable drives i meant Western Digital... people could say "Seagate" since they are pretty good, but i have talked to a very computer-oriented friend of mine and he had about 15 Seagate drives fail on him...
NO MAXTOR! that's what i have running now in RAID 1 since RAID 0 failed on me because of the damn drives, so now it's "better safe than sorry" crap..

Toothpaste: nvidia > ati no matter what you say :) and playing 2 games at the same time... well.. i can see why your judgement is clouded :D

eh i dont know too much on all the parts but i do know the NVIDIA is definately better than ATI RADEON, if you can go for the newest nvidia, and idk ive heard amd is better than intel, nvidia and amd go good together. and sometime this year maybe im going to be upgrading or just getting a new PC too, so if anyone can give a list of the best stuff i can get, not overpriced but reasonable.

Yuri speaks well. If I could go back and buy my stuff over again I would've gotten intel and nvidia vs amd and ati. My maxtor hd gave me crap straight from the box, and then lost like 10% of it to something the following year, bad sectors or what not.

lol thanks for all of your opinions my personal experience is i like amd much more than intel personal reasons lol erm definatly nvidia(evga) over ati, ati done some good but way more bad i only say this because i owned both, and yuri the cards on that site are the same as if not lower benchmarked as a standard 7950 x2 is the company just a really good and quality company? oh and can you guys take a look at these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150160 that one and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130023 that one i can only spot minor differences maybe there is something about them i dont understand can u help me out?

I love these threads...so much better to learn from gamers than reading PC Mag or something :)

well random hero if ur gonna go over to the dark side.... get a 7900 or a 7950. both are pretty good (remember.. i said pretty good). and if u want amd go get taht fx 62 or whatever its called (even tho core 2 duo x6800 is a lot better and more effecient)

[quote1157916849=A Random Hero]
lol thanks for all of your opinions my personal experience is i like amd much more than intel personal reasons lol erm definatly nvidia(evga) over ati, ati done some good but way more bad i only say this because i owned both, and yuri the cards on that site are the same as if not lower benchmarked as a standard 7950 x2 is the company just a really good and quality company? oh and can you guys take a look at these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150160 that one and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130023 that one i can only spot minor differences maybe there is something about them i dont understand can u help me out?
[/quote1157916849]

Gainward is just a cards manufacturer, and they are pretty much the best in the world. their cards won the overcocking contest for many years in a row now. the thing is, i got me a 6600GT from them (true, it's expensive even though i didn't pay for shipping), and it runs smoothely as 6800 eVGA would. they even give you overclocking software, and unlike most companies who rid you of warranty once you overclock, Gainward is an all-out supporter of such deeds :D
ok ok, now down to earth, you can just compare the standard clocks on the cards on numerous sites (like newegg.com). most 6600's are at about 300-400, whereas my Gainward came with 500 out of the box :O and of course a bit of overclocking from me. eitherhow, i haven't had a game that gave me crap yet.. Quake 4, Doom 3, Half-Life 2, BF2.
meh, i just didn't have a good experience with eVGA, but i love Gainward.. so get some Euro friends!

EDIT: get water cooling!! and a large box so you could still install a few fans to blow on your memory and harddrives (it does help just in case). if no water cooling, get Zalman custom CPU and video card fans. i have CNPS7700-Cu (CPU), and VF700-Cu LED (vid). i guess the stupid thing is that you need to get an instruction video from the site.... so have another computer handy and yes, it is tedious if you're doing it for the first time. http://www.zalmanusa.com/

I like tom's hardware, usually has some decent overviews of the parts I'm looking for. Although not all of their sections get updated as frequently as I would like, though I rarely have enough spare cash to get the lastest piece of computer junk that comes out.

ok sry i havent been on in a while i have had to work 12 hr shifts at work but i have also been doing some research i have changed my mind on the nvidea over ati, ati is starting to get my atention with there new x1900 series and im prolly goona end up running two of those in crossfire (sli) that will be a total of one gig vid mem and way faster or more bandwith since using two pci x16 slots anywho you guys know all of that but direct x 10 is comming out this holiday season so i dont know weather to wait for cards that support that or will there be a type of firmware or driver update that handles that?

I really need a new video driver to play bf2. I want the nvidia geforce, because ive heard its pretty good. The reason I need a vid card is cus i wana play bf2. I currently have a ATI radeon 6200 or some crap like that, im not very sure. Unfortunately, i didnt see the geforce at my local officemax. and my mom 4 some reason doesnt like using credit card to buy stuff on net......

Welcome to my world, Dark. I'm currently convincing my mom into using her credit card to let me get Xbox Live for my Xbox 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back