My map

Personally, I think it's alright, but it does need some changes. Such as change some textures from grass to rock/rubble roads. Maybe add some more texture like trees, different walls for the buildings add some handy-dandy lil pics or something. Also it would look a lot great if it were a smaller scale, like they've already stated. Close quarters goes a lot better than an all out sniping map. Just think in terms of WWII. Nice Job though, wish i knew how to map i'd try to help you out.

I loaded the map up and noticed a few things immediately.

1. Way too spread out. If you take a look at the stock maps, they are almost 1/10th the size of your map. It took me 5 minutes to walk from one end of the map to the other end. Some of the most popular maps like Avalanche are very compact maps.

2. The ladder on the white building in the middle, didn't work for me.

3. Not enough cover when walking in the open spaces. If you made the map a lot smaller, lowered the height of the walls to chest high, and added a few more walls, you would have a very playable map.

[quote1186206904=[Toothpaste]Aquafres]
I loaded the map up and noticed a few things immediately.

1. Way too spread out. If you take a look at the stock maps, they are almost 1/10th the size of your map. It took me 5 minutes to walk from one end of the map to the other end. Some of the most popular maps like Avalanche are very compact maps.

2. The ladder on the white building in the middle, didn't work for me.

3. Not enough cover when walking in the open spaces. If you made the map a lot smaller, lowered the height of the walls to chest high, and added a few more walls, you would have a very playable map.
[/quote1186206904]

Totally agree.

It's my first map, the ladder in the white u have to jump to reach the ladder trigger part of it, i made that a little obsticle.

I'll make a new map that's compact like avalanche, remember it propably wont be as good as avalanche.

Simple Ladders (ladders that don't look like ladders but function as a ladder):

1. Make a block using the block tool (white box) the size and shape of you ladder.

2. Select you block you have just made and hit Ctrl + T.

3. In the class drop-down menu, set the class to func_ladder, and hit apply.

You know have a ladder.

Advanced Ladders: Make a skiny-tall block from the ground to where ever you want the player to stop climbing.

Make a another block thw same size and shape.

Now make some rungs between the two posts.

Now, click 'Browse' next to the texture box and filter for 'ladder' then slect the red box with 'ladder' in it.

Make a brush connecting the two bars going from the gorund to the place where the player is going to get of, and then stretch the block you just made all the way from the ground to the top.

Now select you block you have just made and hit Ctrl + T.

Set the class to func_ladder and hit apply.

That is how you make ladders in hammer.

[quote1186246462=Acid Green]
Too-Hoo, it's my first day of defeat: source map! Do you think it's going to be perfect the first time?
[/quote1186246462]
[quote1186246462=Acid Green]
By the way there is no max to how big i want to make my maps.
[/quote1186246462]

Huh-whaa? I wasn't talking about your map. I said 'sig', as in 'signature', as in the thing under your posts that was changed by an admin for being too big.

well dude my only thing for a first time map is even if it is mainly sniper, you should ahve some cover. Ya know?
anywayz other than that looks prett goo, and sniper towers wouldnt be so good, cause it is so ope (right now anyway).
but ill definitley try it.
I just wish they would put bots in DOD:S like they have in CS:S.
Don't you agree?

My steam account name is spanns, my online name is =(e)=Spann. look me up and add me to friends, i also have Xfire if that helps.

couldnt add ya bro.
anyways could someone help me out i would really like to start mapping for myself and others (if possible).

I made a new map called dod_snipe here's some screenshots:

dod_snipe0007.jpg

dod_snipe0006.jpg

dod_snipe0005.jpg

dod_snipe0004.jpg

dod_snipe0003.jpg

dod_snipe0002.jpg

dod_snipe0001.jpg

dod_snipe0000.jpg

Franky, it's the size of avavlanche it just avalanche has more buldings and stuff in the way so it's hard to tell. Lol

Latest posts

Back