[poll] 9/11 and school

50centricher

EGO Zealot
Mk on myspace i see these bullitions saying skip on 9/11 etc....
people complaining this isn't a nation holiday.
Do yall think 9/11 should be a nation holiday and school be canceled for that day?
if i see that bullention post i will copy and past it here to show yall.
i can't find it right now =.=

I voted no, just for the reason that even though it was big, it's not a national holiday, maybe a holiday for Americans (who already get a lot), but not for me.

Not at all. It's also the same reason why the anniversary of Pearl Harbour isn't a holiday... We are not really honouring the dead, but we are honouring their victory.

The people complaining that this isn't a holiday are just people who want school off; they don't give a damn about any of the victims, they're just lazy.

I live in nyc, I lived through 9/11 and all of that stuff from the years after and every governor and mayor speaks about making it a holiday. If anything it should be a specific holiday for just new york. Its really not that big of a concern anywhere else. And honestly not that big of a concern around here either. Those who are most vocal, like thor said, are those who want a holiday for other reasons. For most, remembering it every day is enough. Egocentric americans, world doesnt revolve around us.

Even if it was a national holiday I can't imagine that people would do anything special on that day. Don't make it a holiday, instead do two minutes silence or the ever growing two minutes applause.

No, it should not be a holiday. I agree with Thor, the people who think it should be a national holiday just want a day off from work or school, they don't care about the victims and their families. If you want to honor 9/11, wear the colors, take a moment of silence, something of the sort. But school should stay in session.

Not to mention, a great deal of us were in school when it happened. I think most schools around the nation will take some sort of moment of silence or find a way to remember that day, much more meaningful than kids at home playing video games and such.

its being made a federal holiday starting next year, its named patriots day .... which means ill get the day off next year.

oh and @ heat, a national holiday would only be for america

Whats done is done tragic as it is you have to get on with your lives, a minutes silence is enough i think
( I agree with heat you Americans have enough national holidays as it is)

Should be what it is right now, a yearly memorial, not a holiday. A holiday is given for something positive. Pretty obvious 9/11 wasn't a positive day.

I think there should be a minute of silence, but to have a day off because of it, i dont find it appropriate, im not saying 9/11 wasn't big, it was horrible and tragic, but a day off is a little unnecisary.

Well here is your answer. No, Peral harbor was just as bad back in the day. That isnt a holiday.

I was thinking about this in class today, and I've come up with a stronger answer.

We have a VE day and a VJ day (Victory in Europe and Japan respectively). However we don't have a day memorializing the Vietnam War, the Korean War, the Gulf War, or the Cold War (Really a war? Yes, send me a PM if you want to get my opinion on this'un.) On to the point, if we end up winning the war we should have a holiday in remembrance of it's finish, not it's beginning (9/11).

Well those are my thoughts.

=-edit-=
Spelling

No ... as much of a catastrophic event it was we bounced back, we do not need this to be a holiday like one shot said pearl harbor happened we kicked some ass and moved on...

[quote1189547277=saOsiN]
err the Korean war isn't over thor.....
[/quote1189547277]

Well, that's getting technical, but the Korean War we usually think of is over. You could also even say the cold war isn't over because of Cuba and Vietnam.

Latest posts

Back