ntfs.sys (People who know what they are doing respond)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have given up on trying to find a solution on this by myself. I do believe my HDD is still semi-usable, i just need a way to reformat it. I know a good amount about computers, but this has stumped me. My HDD has been dieing for a while, and it was corrupting files left and right. It finally corrupted ntfs.sys so I am unable to do anything off of the windows CD's. I don't have another hdd to boot off of that to reformat, and I know there has to be another way. All suggestions are appreciated. error code (0x24)... yea lots of fun :mad: :( I have a new HDD comming on tuesday, but I still want to figure out how to fix this, just because it is pissing me off since this is the first thing I have not been able to fix :((

Can you load up windows cd or set it to first bootable drive in your bios. If so, boot to command prompt and then type "chkdsk" (without qoutes) That will find most surface area problems and bad sectors and attempt to fix them. It will not fix the ntfs.sys file.

The ntsf file being corrupt is rather common, and alot of times does not mean your HD is failing.

This is taken from the windows site on how to repair the ntsf.sys file. I am guessing you are using 2000, XP, ect. since they all mostly use ntsf.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, replace the missing or corrupted Ntfs.sys file:

1. Use the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD to restart your computer.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to select the To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R option.

3. Type the number of the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console, and then press ENTER.

4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted, and then press ENTER. If no administrator password exists, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type the following commands (press ENTER after each command):

cd \windows\system32\drivers

ren ntfs.sys ntfs.old

Note This step renames the corrupted Ntfs.sys file to Ntfs.old. If the Ntfs.sys file is not found, the file is missing.

6. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

copy cd:\i386\ntfs.sys drive:\windows\system32\drivers

Where cd is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD, and drive is the drive where you installed Windows XP.

7. Remove the Windows XP CD from your CD-ROM drive, type quit at a command prompt, and then press ENTER to quit the Recovery Console.

8. Restart the computer.

One thing I left out. After you run chkdsk run it again like this to fix the errors posted by it:

chkdsk /f

In School :p I cant boot up the windows cd, because it reads the hdd to try to find installations of windows, which tries to load ntfs.sys, which causes it to crash. No matter what options i chose from the windows cd, it tries to load that, and cuases the computer to crash :(

I did. Its floppy > CD > HDD. When I put the windows disk in, i wait for it to say enter to continue. r to repair, esc to exit. I hit r, and then I get the blue screen for ntfs.sys, with an error code 0x0000000024 (dont remember the 0's, but that part doesnt matter :p)

Seriously all I saw was a bunch of confusing letters. If I ever have a problem like that I will probably just jump off a cliff. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back