New Laptop for College

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Stealth

EGO Is My Life!
Joined
Jun 21, 2008
Messages
6,201
Alien at College

Hey guys, here is my new laptop, I promised you guys pics of it. Its an alienware m17x. Please do not tell me i payed too muhc for it or got ripped off. I did not, and I actually only paid $1200 for it. Also, the pictures are very large, so dial up users BEWARE! I dont like resizing, it ruins quality.

Lets start. Enjoy.


It came to me in a very bland black box. Within the plain box emerged another box with the alienware symbol across the front of it.

Within the new box was the laptop, wrapped in a nice black static-bag.

I got some nice goodies with this laptop. Including an alienware hat, an alienware mousepad, an extremely nice operation manual, an alienware sticker, the obvious ac cord and adaptor, drivers disk, vista disk, and a windows 7 coupon.

Here is the top of the laptop. The design I really really like. Its a futuristic design, yet very minimalist. I like the black too, less scratching, etc.

Heres the bottom. Its vented extremely well on the bottom and in the back. Also, the entire laptop on the outside is a screwless design, making it look much sleeker.

Here is the keyboard, a full keyboard as you can see. The keyboard is extremely nice. Its not cramped at all, the keys are very easy to press and never stick, making it easy to type. The keyboard is also one of the many parts of the laptop that can be illuminated, and in different colors as well.

Here I have the laptop on. You can see that I have chosen the backlighting to be blue (not a surprise). What you might not be able to see as clearly is that the keyboard is split into four lighting sections, and I have the main keyboard lit in cyan, and the number pad lit in a darker blue.

A pretty good view here of how much room this monster takes up on my desk. Its a 17 incher by the way. I believe it also weights around 12 pounds. You can also see that the laptop has its own HDMI port, along with 4 usb's, full 5.1 audio, and a cable lock slot. What you dont see is the 5 in one card reader, pcie slot, slot load dvd drive, firewire, and a bunch of other HD slots that i dont know about or use.

And here is my current setup in my dorm room. I need to get a bigger carpet and a deskchair, but that stuff will come next year i think. Also, I hate the mirrors, but I cant move them :P. Well thats about it. Please comment! Thanks

Here are the stats for you:

Black Metallic
Intel Core2 Quad Q9100 2.26GHz (12MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz 2 x 2048MB
17.0in. WXGA+,LCD,ANW,M17X
SLI Dual 1GB GDDR3 NVIDIA GeForce (GTX280M)
320GB 7,200RPM (xMB Cache) w/ Free Fall Protection
Name Plate Engraving
ALIENFX BLUE
Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit Edition) with Service Pack 1
Windows 7 Home Premium UpgradeCoupon, W0, ENG,SPN,FRE,GER JPN (Currently running Windows 7 RC 64-bit)
Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
Internal 300Mbps Dual-Band a/g/n 2x2 MIMO
Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Extended Year(s)
Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Initial Year
Third Party At HomeService with Nights and Wee kends, 24x7 Technical Support,2 Year Extended
Third Party At Home Service, 24x7 TechnicalSupport, Initial Year
Warranty Support,2 Year Extended
Warranty Support,Initial Year
CompleteCare Accidental DamageProtection, Inspiron Desktop, 3 Year
Soft Contracts - Consumer Complete Care
3 Year Limited Warranty
Bluetooth 2.1 with EDR
RESPAWN DVD


-Blue
 
Last edited:
I thought my Dell studio was a good laptop, this makes my desktop look like a little kitten :( This is a beast of a notebook.
 
WOW more like Alienware just got ripped off...........you basically have a fully loaded Alienware M17x which go for around $3,000 and you only got it for $1,200

I would buy that thing in a second if that was the price, no hesitation. Could even sell it to someone and make a mucho profit and just buy another one lmao.

That thing is sick though, im gonna have to wait till college to see what laptop ill be getting but thats not till another year and a half. Hopefully there will be sick laptops out that aren't too expensive and give great performance.
 
ahh dorm life. I sometimes miss wearing shoes in the shower, doing my dishes in the bathroom sink, and generally living in filth. Not to mention the great DC Hub that was run and the awesome multiplayer gaming that was available.
 
WOW more like Alienware just got ripped off...........you basically have a fully loaded Alienware M17x which go for around $3,000 and you only got it for $1,200

I would buy that thing in a second if that was the price, no hesitation. Could even sell it to someone and make a mucho profit and just buy another one lmao.

That thing is sick though, im gonna have to wait till college to see what laptop ill be getting but thats not till another year and a half. Hopefully there will be sick laptops out that aren't too expensive and give great performance.

without discounts it would have cost $4150 or thereabout

dell's studio line of laptops are pretty damn good for the price, you might want to check them out. IBUYPOWER also has VERY powerful laptops for good prices, but have poor warranties on their high end laptops. I dont think you can get more than 1 year coverage on their best model, which is one i used to price compare with the m17x.

-Blue
 
without discounts it would have cost $4150 or thereabout

dell's studio line of laptops are pretty damn good for the price, you might want to check them out. IBUYPOWER also has VERY powerful laptops for good prices, but have poor warranties on their high end laptops. I dont think you can get more than 1 year coverage on their best model, which is one i used to price compare with the m17x.

-Blue

haha yea wow i guess i was off a bit. I dont need a laptop yet, im still on my desktop which is running good, gonna upgrade my graphics card to a ATI 5 series when it comes out, hopefully a 5870x2. I still got like 2 years till the college life, hopefully i get to a good engineering college with some scholarships, then my dad said he'll get me the best laptop out there lmao. He was like, if you get some scholarships to go to the college from playing soccer or something then ill get you whatever laptop you want :)
 
my dad said he'll get me the best laptop out there lmao. He was like, if you get some scholarships to go to the college from playing soccer or something then ill get you whatever laptop you want :)

if your dad says he will buy you the best laptop, have him take a look at sager or falcon northwest.

-Blue
 
Last edited:
It's better than both of mine combined. :glare:

LOL, thats funny :P

anyway wow blue stealth, what kind of discount do u get for college, like 56% lol. cause i need a new laptop. but i want just a small 1 that they came out with like 400$ for. so it can be used for going to college, and vent thats it :(

finds me a good 1 like u do's! cause your good at thats! lol
 
Hey guys, here is my new laptop, I promised you guys pics of it. Its an alienware m17x. Please do not tell me i payed too muhc for it or got ripped off. I did not, and I actually only paid $1200 for it. Also, the pictures are very large, so dial up users BEWARE! I dont like resizing, it ruins quality.

Lets start. Enjoy.


It came to me in a very bland black box. Within the plain box emerged another box with the alienware symbol across the front of it.

Within the new box was the laptop, wrapped in a nice black static-bag.

I got some nice goodies with this laptop. Including an alienware hat, an alienware mousepad, an extremely nice operation manual, an alienware sticker, the obvious ac cord and adaptor, drivers disk, vista disk, and a windows 7 coupon.

Here is the top of the laptop. The design I really really like. Its a futuristic design, yet very minimalist. I like the black too, less scratching, etc.

Heres the bottom. Its vented extremely well on the bottom and in the back. Also, the entire laptop on the outside is a screwless design, making it look much sleeker.

Here is the keyboard, a full keyboard as you can see. The keyboard is extremely nice. Its not cramped at all, the keys are very easy to press and never stick, making it easy to type. The keyboard is also one of the many parts of the laptop that can be illuminated, and in different colors as well.

Here I have the laptop on. You can see that I have chosen the backlighting to be blue (not a surprise). What you might not be able to see as clearly is that the keyboard is split into four lighting sections, and I have the main keyboard lit in cyan, and the number pad lit in a darker blue.

A pretty good view here of how much room this monster takes up on my desk. Its a 17 incher by the way. I believe it also weights around 12 pounds. You can also see that the laptop has its own HDMI port, along with 4 usb's, full 5.1 audio, and a cable lock slot. What you dont see is the 5 in one card reader, pcie slot, slot load dvd drive, firewire, and a bunch of other HD slots that i dont know about or use.

And here is my current setup in my dorm room. I need to get a bigger carpet and a deskchair, but that stuff will come next year i think. Also, I hate the mirrors, but I cant move them :P. Well thats about it. Please comment! Thanks

Here are the stats for you:

Black Metallic
Intel Core2 Quad Q9100 2.26GHz (12MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz 2 x 2048MB
17.0in. WXGA+,LCD,ANW,M17X
SLI Dual 1GB GDDR3 NVIDIA GeForce (GTX280M)
320GB 7,200RPM (xMB Cache) w/ Free Fall Protection
Name Plate Engraving
ALIENFX BLUE
Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit Edition) with Service Pack 1
Windows 7 Home Premium UpgradeCoupon, W0, ENG,SPN,FRE,GER JPN (Currently running Windows 7 RC 64-bit)
Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
Internal 300Mbps Dual-Band a/g/n 2x2 MIMO
Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Extended Year(s)
Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Initial Year
Third Party At HomeService with Nights and Wee kends, 24x7 Technical Support,2 Year Extended
Third Party At Home Service, 24x7 TechnicalSupport, Initial Year
Warranty Support,2 Year Extended
Warranty Support,Initial Year
CompleteCare Accidental DamageProtection, Inspiron Desktop, 3 Year
Soft Contracts - Consumer Complete Care
3 Year Limited Warranty
Bluetooth 2.1 with EDR
RESPAWN DVD


-Blue

That thing is a beast.
 
LOL, thats funny :P

anyway wow blue stealth, what kind of discount do u get for college, like 56% lol. cause i need a new laptop. but i want just a small 1 that they came out with like 400$ for. so it can be used for going to college, and vent thats it :(

finds me a good 1 like u do's! cause your good at thats! lol

A netbook?? those things suck lol but they are portable indeed. Its not hard to look for a laptop if you know stuff about computers.
 
Very nice Blue Stealth. Too bad you have so much homework to do and no time for games! :closedeyes:
 
without discounts it would have cost $4150 or thereabout

dell's studio line of laptops are pretty damn good for the price, you might want to check them out. IBUYPOWER also has VERY powerful laptops for good prices, but have poor warranties on their high end laptops. I dont think you can get more than 1 year coverage on their best model, which is one i used to price compare with the m17x.

-Blue

I thought my computer was expensive....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top