Valve on Character Model/Animation Sources

Kamon

Famous
Joined
Apr 6, 2009
Messages
543
As some of you may know, Valve's been working to get out the files containing the character's models and animations to the public.
While this probably won't mean much to the majority of you, I myself am waiting for [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHJq5tX0y8s"]a rather awesome female scout model[/ame] to be completed, and part of that is relying on using the original Scout model's source as a reference. So, for anyone who's interested, Valve's updated TeamFortress.com's blog with some news on what's going down.


As with the first Left 4 Dead game, most of the TF2 team has moved over to help out Left 4 Dead 2 get through its final shipping steps. This time around, though, we've improved our process a little to ensure we can keep some people on TF2, enabling us to continue doing TF2 updates. We've been a bit slow on updating here, and there's plenty of stuff to talk about, so we might as well jump right in.

First off, a quick update on where we are with the character model and animation sources. After we got over our excitement of releasing them, we ran into a couple of problems:

* All the character modelers & animators are incredibly busy working on L4D2.
* None of our new .DMX file format tools have been released in the SDK yet, which are integral to working with these sources.

As a result, it's taken a bit more work than we'd originally intended. And to make sure that the work is being done right, we decided it'd be best to get one model out, if only so we could get your feedback on it before we went ahead and got the rest done. So today we're updating the Source SDK to include all the model and animation source for the Heavy. Take a look at it, and be sure to send us your thoughts.


Next, they gave us some updates regarding the community, including referencing SourceOP's Backpack viewer. If any one's interestered in reading the whole blog post, well, you know the site.
 
The short skirt thing is kinda weird and creepy. Things like this always remind me that the internet is filled with a bunch of lonely people.
 
This would be great, except for the moment you get creepy guy Scout saying "NEED A DISPENSER HERE", totally ruining the moment.

I also like:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4zpwGDbg0I&feature=related[/ame]
 
I think we can all agree that a female heavy or soldier will just ruin the game.
 
Hmmm...
I remember seeing the planning art-work done for the female scout on that second video. I was generally impressed by the presentation of a character that was distinct from the original scout, but maintained the points that made it obvious she WAS a scout. This was largely done by making her a British cricket fan, but w/e.

I'm pretty sure the artist in question did a few more, though I'm not certain the heavy is included. In any case, I look forward to any and all new skins and models that will be released thanks to the animation references.
 
Giant Russian Bertha Heavy is AWWWWWWEEEESOME!!!!!

Though I wish that English Female scout had a cockney accent. Would make the model so mucb better...
 
This would be great, except for the moment you get creepy guy Scout saying "NEED A DISPENSER HERE", totally ruining the moment.

I also like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4zpwGDbg0I&feature=related

2ry25va.jpg


Just a sidenote, the guy's working on getting someone to redo the Scout's lines to go along with the model when it's released.
 
wow, I really like the camera angles at the beginning, lol ;)
 
The short skirt thing is kinda weird and creepy. Things like this always remind me that the internet is filled with a bunch of lonely people.

Would you rather it be a skirt that reached her shins? :V

You have striped panties, is funny to me!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top