Vista or 7?

Windows 7 is a major improvement over Windows Vista.

Windows 7 is almost as light if not lighter than Windows XP while having MANY security improvements.
Windows 7 is like a gamers dream in comparison to Windows Vista. Don't get me wrong Windows Vista was a great operating system, it just wasn't lightweight by any means. With Windows 7 they've taken all the great features of Windows Vista and put them in a smaller package.

I'm not sure what "features" the other guy was claiming they've taken out of Windows 7, but thus far I haven't found myself forced to download any other programs due to the fact that they weren't included in Windows 7 but were included in Windows Vista. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Windows 7 Professional and up have an amazingly wonderful little program called "Virtual XP". For those who criticize this program you should think again. I have personally used it and I can attest that it IS functional and wonderful. Just one instance was that I had a U3 Micro Drive (They are terrible btw...) and the built in software to lock the drive with a password wasn't playing nicely with Windows 7. So I simply fired up Virtual XP and used it to access my USB drive to remove the password and update the software on it to be compatible with Windows 7. Something that could have been a very large head ache was averted due to the fact that I had a fully functional copy of windows xp a click and about 15 seconds away. Yes it loads up to the desktop in only about 15 seconds.

Hmm I'm sure I'll think of some more reasons to switch, but for now that's what I've got. So I'll leave it at that.

Long story short Windows 7 > Windows Vista & Windows XP hands down.
 
How about some facts, eh?

Yes, Vista takes up a little more hard drive room. If you're really worried about this (at most, 1GB difference, depending on 32bit or 64bit), I recommend buying another hard drive instead of getting W7.

But, wait, all that "bloat" slows you doowwnn.... right? Well, all hearsay and fanboyism aside, "Windows 7 [is] only marginally faster than Vista, according to PC World Test Center tests."

So, unless you can find something that you need in 7 that Vista doesn't do, save your money.
 
How about some facts, eh?

Yes, Vista takes up a little more hard drive room. If you're really worried about this (at most, 1GB difference, depending on 32bit or 64bit), I recommend buying another hard drive instead of getting W7.

But, wait, all that "bloat" slows you doowwnn.... right? Well, all hearsay and fanboyism aside, "Windows 7 [is] only marginally faster than Vista, according to PC World Test Center tests."

So, unless you can find something that you need in 7 that Vista doesn't do, save your money.

Yes that is load times of programs. But take a step back and compare the RAM utilization and average CPU load and you'll find more of a difference. What they tested was the average load time of programs and startup/shutdown of the system.

Load times are dependent on many things and with the right hardware they become a moot point. Here is an example. You could be running Windows ME and load programs just as fast as Windows 7 with this setup.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs&feature=PlayList&p=B271CE3AFAA4A13E&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2[/ame]

That is one of the major improvements. That Windows 7 uses less CPU time and also significantly less RAM. Where the major improvement is seen is due to the fact that the system now has those additional resources that it can allocate to other tasks instead of running the OS.
 
Last edited:
Normally i would say stick with the older till the bugs are worked out of the new. Although I've been running windows 7 for 3 or 4 weeks and its damn stable and sexy. Gaming is smooth, UI snappy as hell, blah blah blah. I don't personally like the icon taskbar, so i changed it :)

Vista isn't that bad imo, i like(d) it. Sucked at the start but they cleaned it up into a usable os.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top