Toggling on/off all in-game sounds

Skippy

EGO Zealot
Joined
Sep 26, 2009
Messages
1,933
Sorry if this information is somewhere in our forums -- I spent a few minutes searching but didn't see anything.

Does anyone know if there is a bind to toggle on/off ALL in-game sounds/music? I don't know how many times I've had to ask someone to repeat themselves in Vent because I couldn't hear what they said the first time, due to the simultaneous gunfire or loud victory music going on in-game.
 
Sorry if this information is somewhere in our forums -- I spent a few minutes searching but didn't see anything.

Does anyone know if there is a bind to toggle on/off ALL in-game sounds/music? I don't know how many times I've had to ask someone to repeat themselves in Vent because I couldn't hear what they said the first time, due to the simultaneous gunfire or loud victory music going on in-game.

it was an option in 1.3 but i thought they turned off that option in source because they stated it was some sort of "cheat".

Either that or I think the server setting has to be set to "1".
 
it was an option in 1.3 but i thought they turned off that option in source because they stated it was some sort of "cheat".

Either that or I think the server setting has to be set to "1".

I think you might be talking about the "stopsound" command, which they declared a cheat pre-source and is a command which needs sv_cheats 1 to use now. Stopsound stopped all ambient background music, noise, and any sound occurring at the moment including reloads or the shot noises, but the effect didn't last so that's probably not a command you'd want anyway unless you could spam it.

With that said, there is a command called "snd_gain 0" that will reduce the volume to almost nothing on all sounds and music, but it's considered a cheat.

There is a legal command to mute all music, it's snd_musicvolume. Here's a script that will let you hold down a key to mute the music, and unmute it when you release the key.

Code:
alias +music "snd_musicvolume 0"
alias -music "snd_musicvolume 1"
bind f "+music"

Hope it helps
 
Thanks RP -- I tried that script you suggested but it didn't work for me. Maybe I did it wrong? Oh well, I'll just have to train one ear to listen solely to Vent, and the other to listen solely to the gunfire.
 
Thanks RP -- I tried that script you suggested but it didn't work for me. Maybe I did it wrong? Oh well, I'll just have to train one ear to listen solely to Vent, and the other to listen solely to the gunfire.

yea it won't affect in-game sound, just music volume, unfortunately I didn't find a command for specifically in-game sound.
 
well ron Paul said is right, and it works for turning ingame sound down, but i specifially cant find anything to call having no sound a cheat which is confusing to me to the biggest level...
 
well ron Paul said is right, and it works for turning ingame sound down, but i specifially cant find anything to call having no sound a cheat which is confusing to me to the biggest level...

Yeah I don't get it either, I guess they don't want people adjusting their sound levels on the fly for whatever reason.
 
Stop sound was a popular command for me in 1.3 because I always hated hearing the sounds and what not. Plus it made it way easier to hear others when they're running around. Now, since Source is released, in order to use the command "stopsound", sv_cheats 1 must be enabled but due to the fact that if you type "noclip" in console, it's a cheat. So, that is why we can't use "stopsound", unfortunately. It was a very neat thing, but with the source engine, it won't work :(. Nonetheless, I just minimize whenever someone is talking to me in vent, even though I could just turn down my game volume.

Thanks for that script Ron, I'll have to test it out.
 
The script I posted dose not require cheats to be on in the server. It dose the same as in the audio options menu.

Tonux
 
Stop sound was a popular command for me in 1.3 because I always hated hearing the sounds and what not. Plus it made it way easier to hear others when they're running around. Now, since Source is released, in order to use the command "stopsound", sv_cheats 1 must be enabled but due to the fact that if you type "noclip" in console, it's a cheat. So, that is why we can't use "stopsound", unfortunately.


Echo echo echo....

just teasing man

yeah tonux that script is lovely, when I went digging for volume commands I assumed they all began with "snd_" and that there was no master volume command, a fool's folly.
 
Thanks Tonux for helping me to get that script to work, it's just the thing I was looking for!
 
Back
Top