Proof that a picture can be worth a thousand words. This pretty much sums up the entire deal.
Now, I have my gripes with Fallout 3. But Fallout 3, despite being watered down and lacking any of the tactical elements, was still at least a damn RPG. But how can you take, if my memory serves me right, an isometric tactical strategy game and make it into a FPS. Also, if my memory serves me right, what killed the series was turning it into a space flight shooter wasn't it (And putting in lots of lame gags)???
What's next on the isometric to FPS conversion? "Total War?" "Theme Hospital?" "DUNGEON KEEPER?!" Oh, wait, you could possess your minions in that game and shoot stuff... nvm that last one
Now, I was actually originally going to list a more "common" style RTS on that scale up there instead of Total War, but then I remembered Command & Conquer: Renegade, and while the single player blew, the multiplayer actually captured the gameplay of a traditional C&C match with team based squad gameplay and taking out the enemy base, using resources, buying units, etc. so it actually WORKED.
*sigh*