I was really hoping hexacores from Intel would have been cheaper, but wait two years and they'll go down in price.
32nm > 45nm (Cooler and more EE than a 45nm, like 45 vs 60)
Putting six cores in a 32nm of space is a lot more innovative than six in 45nm. Small space with more or same space with more.
While most are content with PII x4, C2Q, Core i5s, there are some like myself that A) Use CPU intensive apps, B) Want the best of the best (or what I can afford) and C) Max all my games out @ 1920x1200.
A) I compile maps for the Source Engine. No map takes longer than 5 minutes (More like no longer than two minutes). Period.
B) I had 2 jobs, in college, and learned how to save. This means I can afford what I have (refer to my signature), minus the 5850.
C) I cannot stand games that I own that I cannot max the game out without atleast 65FPS or more. Such was Crysis and BC2 with a 4780. Now both I get more than 65FPS and BC2 has full AA.
So when Intel's hexacore goes down, I will probably buy one. For the average consumer a PII x4 or i5 works just fine for everything.
Also an i7 920 OC'd to 3.6Ghz probably yields better results than AMDs hexacore at the same speeds or close too. 4Cores and 4Threads (8Threads total) vs 6 Cores (6Threads total). In what I do (mapping and compiling) an i7 would be a lot better than a non HT hexacore.