Worth Waiting for?

QuickSkope

Famous
Joined
Jun 21, 2010
Messages
520
Alright, So I might buy my build right now, but these are the options.

-If I buy now, then I can spend 1250$ (give or take some) and add 750$ later (3 months)

-Buy the Whole thing in 4 months time

-wait for the new stuff that AMD/Intel/Nvidia produce (as ATI no longer is ATI)

What would you suggest, as Id like to see the BullDozer and SandyBridge
 
Sandy Bridge is pretty much confirmed to have a locked FSB, so there is no hope for a decent OC.

I would buy an AM3 motherboard+cheap processor now, so you can upgrade to BD when it comes out.
 
Humm, but thats only if BullDozer can pull through, I could however buy a X6, and maybe a BullDozer later.

Might do that.

WHat about Graphics cards?
 
I dont know what folding is, but ive heard its very cool, and helps in the name of Science, would you please define it?
 
wikipedia said:
Folding@home ("Folding at Home") (sometimes abbreviated as FAH or F@h) is a distributed computing (DC) project designed to perform computationally intensive simulations of protein folding and other molecular dynamics (MD), and to improve on the methods available to do so. It was launched on October 1, 2000, and is currently managed by the Pande Group, within Stanford University's chemistry department, under the supervision of Professor Vijay Pande.

Folding@home is the most powerful distributed computing cluster in the world, according to Guinness,[2] and one of the world's largest distributed computing projects.[3] The goal of the project is "to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases."[4]

Accurate simulations of protein folding and misfolding enable the scientific community to better understand the development of many diseases, including sickle-cell disease (drepanocytosis), Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, Bovine spongiform encephalopathy, cancer, Huntington's disease, cystic fibrosis, osteogenesis imperfecta, alpha 1-antitrypsin deficiency, and other aggregation-related diseases.[5] More fundamentally, understanding the process of protein folding — how biological molecules assemble themselves into a functional state — is one of the outstanding problems of molecular biology. So far, the Folding@home project has successfully simulated folding in the 1.5 millisecond range[6] — which is a simulation thousands of times longer than it was previously thought possible to model.

1
 
but what about teh heat?!?!??! And teh power consumption?!?!?!?
Oh noes MAH PRECIOUS POWERZ!!

Yes, just buy a 6 core with a GTX 480 or 2x GTX 460s, and get a BD if you want later.

Waiting for a processor will feel like forever if your playing on a currently bad rig. 3 months though isn't bad, so just wait till you can drop all of your money on it.
 
Last edited:
Well, I think those are minor, as you just need to have a bigger PSU, and more fans :D

I was just trollin'.
I had one, and the power consumption isn't that big a deal.
Mine never got hotter than 72C at full load.
 
Back
Top