Steam "Internet Connection" Problem

redstarfish

Thread Junky
Joined
Apr 27, 2009
Messages
877
Alright so I gave steam a week to chill because it said I was running another copy of steam, which I wasn't. Now when I click steam it's in offline mode and it says there's no internet connection (Obviously there is since i'm typing this but blehhh). I restarted my PC, then steam, but nothing happened.
 
errorhd.png


Well, I closed steam, deleted the blob, and with my luck this happened.
Now everytime I attempt to go on steam I get this stupid error. Should I just install it from the website again?!
 
make sure to check your firewalls (windows and your anitvirus). If steam is not a trusted program (somtimes you have to manually add it depending on your antivirus) it will not launch and will give you some strange errors (like what you are seeing). This may not be your issue, but its worth a shot.

"This action cannot be completed because it is running in annother program."

Que?

EDIT: This means that the process is running on your computer but the GUI is not up. to fix it, stop the "steam.exe" process under the process tab of the task manager. this is EXACTLY the same problem i was having when my antivirus program was blocking my steam/steam games.
 
Last edited:
make sure to check your firewalls (windows and your anitvirus). If steam is not a trusted program (somtimes you have to manually add it depending on your antivirus) it will not launch and will give you some strange errors (like what you are seeing). This may not be your issue, but its worth a shot.



EDIT: This means that the process is running on your computer but the GUI is not up. to fix it, stop the "steam.exe" process under the process tab of the task manager. this is EXACTLY the same problem i was having when my antivirus program was blocking my steam/steam games.

How do I check my firewalls and crap lol
 
Windows firewall is in you control panel under 'Windows Firewall' and you can find a list of "allowed" programs (odds are, steam is allowed and windows firewall is not your problem).

For you anitivirus, it depends on what one you have. For mine, i found it by clicking 'advanced' on the antivirus tab and adding Steam.exe to the 'exceptions' list. What antivirus program are you running?
 
Last edited:
I had this happen to me too for like a week. :< I re-installed steam, but then had to wait for hours to re-install my games. :( Best of luck mate!
 
I scanned it and its fine, but it does not block steam. Should I reinstall?

Bummer....... Anyways, (i know you are working a suggestion from another post regarding reinstalling, but yes i recommend reinstalling) i would suggest searching google/bing/yahoo with your error. You will find that many people have nearly the same error and i have found there are many ways people get it fixed (like for me, it was my anitvirus treating steam like a virus...). best of luck and ill let you know if i find anything i think can help (if you dont get it fixed before then).
 
ok, a few things to check..

1) do delete the Clientregistry.blob file
2) open task manager and make sure there is no steam.exe or hl2.exe processes running... this would give you an already running Steam error. Sometimes after an update, Steam wont close properly and needs to be closed manually.
 
ok, a few things to check..

1) do delete the Clientregistry.blob file
2) open task manager and make sure there is no steam.exe or hl2.exe processes running... this would give you an already running Steam error. Sometimes after an update, Steam wont close properly and needs to be closed manually.

I passed that error, now I'm just going to reinstall steam :(
 
since my Steam account inception in 2006.. I have not one time had to uninstall Steam for any reason. ClientRegistry.Blob, yes.... and a forced update usually fixes any issues.
 
Back
Top