A friendly reminder!

GardenGroveVW

USS VIN NUMBAH?!?!
Executive
Joined
Jun 15, 2007
Messages
9,223
Please re-read this BEFORE making a post...

http://edgegamers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92076

For those of you that are 'regular' posters of the tech help/talk forums, please keep in mind that you are helping people, not picking fights over who is right and wrong. A simple 'google' search will help get the correct answers anyone is looking for.

Please, for everyone's sake and for your own sake, do not argue over petty stuff. We have had people bickering in the forums about different products, different ways of doing things, lets go back to edgegamers roots, help people, and don't bring your bad attitudes to other players. If you feel that you are getting upset with someones post, send the them a pm and tell them why you think they are wrong.

Don't do this in open forums, no one wants to see you argue over which product is better and why. Everyone has their own tastes, you have to realize this because we are a huge community, everyone isn't going to like the same products.

Thanks !!
 
Got it GGVW, i'll be sure to review my post before i click, just to make sure it isnt negatively contributing.
 
You know, following that rule may help some of us who currently refuse to help ppl (due to stupidity in the forums and disrespectful posts) want to post again! I, too, shall follow in iSimon's footsteps.....check before I click!
 
Bump, there has to be more views.. I am sure there is more people that read these forums...
 
If someone is blatantly wrong can we correct them?

Otherwise understood
 
If someone is blatantly wrong can we correct them?

Otherwise understood

I'm not Garden, but I don't believe he was saying not to correct people or state your opinion on how to fix the problem. What he is saying is that he doesn't want people bickering or fighting as to what the solution is, or what brand of product is better, or whatever, because thats rarely helpful to the OP and goes against eGO Standards of Conduct.

ie. The wrong way to do it.

poster 1 said:
Help!!! My video card died and I don't know which one to get to replace it!
poster 2 said:
The Nvidia *model here* is the way to go
poster 3 said:
Dude, Nvidia sucks, the ATI *model here* is tons better
poster 2 said:
No, ATI is terrible, go with Nvidia
poster 3 said:
You suck, Nvidia is tons better
poster 2 said:
No, you suck
poster 1 said:
You guys aren't any help at all :(

etc


Correct way.

poster 1 said:
Help!!! My video card died and I don't know which one to get to replace it!
poster 2 said:
The Nvidia *model here* would be my preference in that situation because *reason*
poster 3 said:
I personally would go with the ATI *model here* because *reason*
poster 1 said:
Thanks for the help! I think I'll go with the *choice here* :)



So basically, if someone is completely wrong on how to fix the problem you may correct them, but please do so in a way that is inoffensive and helpful to the Original Poster, you can also post your personal opinion as to which brand of product is better, but don't get into a fight or flame war about it. Post your preferred product/brand and why you prefer it (positives about the product, not negatives about other products/brands) and then leave it at that. For cases like this, I would also cite a place on the internet I found my information (or they can verify your information).

-Kevi
 
Last edited:
I'm not Garden, but I don't believe he was saying not to correct people or state your opinion on how to fix the problem. What he is saying is that he doesn't want people bickering or fighting as to what the solution is, or what brand of product is better, or whatever, because thats rarely helpful to the OP and goes against eGO Standards of Conduct.

ie. The wrong way to do it.









etc


Correct way.








So basically, if someone is completely wrong on how to fix the problem you may correct them, but please do so in a way that is inoffensive and helpful to the Original Poster, you can also post your personal opinion as to which brand of product is better, but don't get into a fight or flame war about it. Post your preferred product/brand and why you prefer it (positives about the product, not negatives about other products/brands) and then leave it at that. For cases like this, I would also cite a place on the internet I found my information (or they can verify your information).

-Kevi

That's still bickering, it's just not mindless, and a little more sophisticated. :P
 
But Phobus, kevi's version is showing opinion, not blatant "IM BETTER AND KNOW MOAR" type stuff
 
I totally agree with Kevimaster & GG. We need to learn to be more positive to people's issues in tech-related threads. Simply offer suggestions like Kevimaster said. I also do hope that this thread receives a sticky as well!
 
Kevi, in all my time in this tech talk forum I have never seen anyone blatantly say Nvidia sucks, vice versa.

They (including me from time to time) explain to the person why they should chose a particular brand over another. Of course, completely opinionated, unless it's price/performance situations.
 
Kevi, in all my time in this tech talk forum I have never seen anyone blatantly say Nvidia sucks, vice versa.

They (including me from time to time) explain to the person why they should chose a particular brand over another. Of course, completely opinionated, unless it's price/performance situations.

I was just making a general example, it wasn't taken from any specific situation or anything like that.
 
Back on topic before this thread turns into an argument :P

Nice post.
 
Gardengroove is right, this is a mature gaming community not the monkey cage at the local zoo.
more people should read this so il BUMP it :P
 
Read and understood, but if someone is showing blatant bias for a product, it usually isn't the best option, because they're only looking at a linear scope of products. If anyone shows bias like that, their answer is usually discredited. No reason someone should get in a fight over brand loyalty. (can see how stupid brand loyalty is with xbox/ps3 forums on other sites)
 
Back
Top