v-sync on gtx 460?

forty2skates

Forum Fiend
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
732
I just upgraded from a XFX 5750 to a EVGA GTX 460. My frame rate is up substantially (in BFBC2 I was getting from low 30s to high 40s, now high 40s minimum and spiking in the 90s) however v-sync is off, not bad, only noticeable with quick panning. The ATI controls had a place to adjust for monitor frequency (60Hz) and I'm not finding any such adjustment in the EGVA settings. Any thoughts?

On a related note, anybody need a good condition 5750?
 
Is your monitor able to handle over 60hz? I'm pretty sure you change the monitor frequency in the actual nvidia drivers (which you should have downloaded the newest ones), not the EVGA tool.
 
most monitors refresh at only 60hz so adjusting the frequency via software wont make a difference (because you monitor will still refresh at 60 even though your comp sends it more frames). Is it screen tearing you want to eliminate?
 
Yeah, it's the tearing that I'd like to lose. To my way of thinking if I could slow my max frame rate down to ~60 the tearing would be gone since it'd be in sync with the monitor.
 
Yeah, it's the tearing that I'd like to lose. To my way of thinking if I could slow my max frame rate down to ~60 the tearing would be gone since it'd be in sync with the monitor.
Wait, are you wanting to turn vsync on? That's the only way to stop screen tearing. The best way to do that is to turn it on in the video options for the game your playing. It will automatically sync to your monitors default refresh rate (60hz aka 60fps)
 
Wait, are you wanting to turn vsync on? That's the only way to stop screen tearing. The best way to do that is to turn it on in the video options for the game your playing. It will automatically sync to your monitors default refresh rate (60hz aka 60fps)

Even though vsync will eliminate tearing, it will fell like the game is less responsive (which isnt ideal for FPS). its all up to personal preference but i personally have learned to deal with tearing to not deal with the 'mouse lag'.
 
Even though vsync will eliminate tearing, it will fell like the game is less responsive (which isnt ideal for FPS). its all up to personal preference but i personally have learned to deal with tearing to not deal with the 'mouse lag'.
Yeah. Tripple buffering helps a bit, but he wanted to know how to get rid of tearing so I told him. Vsync feels like your moving your mouse through pudding trying to play.
 
Thanks guys, I could have swore there was something in the ATI settings that was supposed to help w/ tearing globally, not just vsync in individual game settings(not that I had frame rate where it was an issue) and ?I was hoping to find something similar in the nvidea settings. Honestly, it's not terrible just noticeable when things really get moving.
 
Thanks guys, I could have swore there was something in the ATI settings that was supposed to help w/ tearing globally, not just vsync in individual game settings(not that I had frame rate where it was an issue) and ?I was hoping to find something similar in the nvidea settings. Honestly, it's not terrible just noticeable when things really get moving.
Yeah, there isn't anything to fix tearing other than vsync. Changing the frequency won't do anything for tearing alone.
 
Back
Top