New Video Card

I'm your huckleberry

Thread Junky
Joined
May 20, 2010
Messages
779
Just got my new gtx460s. 2 in SLI. I was worried about having them right on top of each other, but I decided to move it down to the 3rd slot to get better airflow. This forces one to run at x8 instead of both at x16, the difference is minimal and worth the airflow. Plus, I am now able to overclock them given the lower temps which will allow for greater performance overall.

Anyone else running 2 of these bad boys in sli?

And I am replacing my xfx 5870 xxx with these if anyone is interested in that. Double lifetime warranty is nice.
 
I would personally run them both at x16/x16 and right on top of eachother. I mean you can test both and see which gets better temps/performance and look at the tradeoff. If the temps aren't like melting the card hot then its fine.
 
I would probably end up doing what you are. Of course, I would test for the difference in performance and compare temps (and also fan noise), but I think it seems likely I would run them spread apart. TBH, I care more about folding@home than gaming performance (I only play at 1680x1050), and folding@home isn't affected by bandwidth until you get to less than PCIe x4.
 
There is maybe a 2% difference, but that will easily be overcome with the ability to overclock them now given the airflow. But the performance at 1920x1200 is enough with these 2 in sli that 2% will not even make a difference. Still, given the fact that one ran 12 C hotter with them right next to each other, I feel much more comfortable with the spacing.

I naively thought that performance would take a bigger hit using one at x8, but I was glad to be proven wrong. :)
 
There is maybe a 2% difference, but that will easily be overcome with the ability to overclock them now given the airflow. But the performance at 1920x1200 is enough with these 2 in sli that 2% will not even make a difference. Still, given the fact that one ran 12 C hotter with them right next to each other, I feel much more comfortable with the spacing.

I naively thought that performance would take a bigger hit using one at x8, but I was glad to be proven wrong. :)

Yeah. People make too big a deal of 8x/8x or 16x/8x over 16x/16x. It'll lose you at the very most 4%, if any at all.
 
Well thats cuz PCI-e 2.0 has so much bandwith that the cards aren't close to using it all up even at x8 speeds.

Worse when PCI-e 1.0

What mobo are u using that the cards are so close together???
 
p6x58d premium

but the temps are within 1 C now as opposed to one being 12-15 hotter...big improvement and it is fine with me having it in the 3rd slot.
 
you kids and your optimized architecture.

When I was a kid, our GF100 was sooooo hot that putting 2 of them right next to each other made them 15c different...AT IDLE!!!!

Yea, my 470s were really hot
 
you kids and your optimized architecture.

When I was a kid, our GF100 was sooooo hot that putting 2 of them right next to each other made them 15c different...AT IDLE!!!!

Yea, my 470s were really hot

Oh yeah, well my Geforce 6200 nearly exploded from being to close to the bottom of the case.

Those were the days :P


I agree, 2-4 FPS isn't worth the higher temps.
 
Oh yeah, well my Geforce 6200 nearly exploded from being to close to the bottom of the case.

Those were the days :P


I agree, 2-4 FPS isn't worth the higher temps.

my house nearly burned down because of the heat

You wanna start a fight sonny!

/old man voice
 

Latest posts

Back
Top