TF2 Prob

Mr. Teriyaki

Famous
Joined
Sep 2, 2009
Messages
467
So. now i cannot play TF2 smoothly because i have this"Lag" however i have a ping of 50 i tf2 games. i believe having a 50 is perfect but i still have the lags

on my TF2 box i says that i need:
Pentium 4 processer( 3.0GHz,or better),
1gb ram,
direct 9 graphics card
windows vista/xp/2000,
mouse,
keyboard,
internet connection,
dvd rom drive.

i have :
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz
3GB RAM
GeForce GTS 250
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
90GB free space
and all the rest (keyboard etc.)

what should i do?

i heard from ppl to update your mother board? but nvr really know u can at all.
not sure but my mother board is American megatrends? am i right ? nvr heard of it. thought my board was an asus. so can i really update my board?
 
Try updating your graphics drivers.
Else verify the cache of TF2.
Else delete "ClientRegistry.blob" in the Steam folder.
 
If Phobus's advice doesn't fix it you have to realize:

This game has gone through three years of over 100 updates. System requirements have risen dramatically since it's initial release. Given that TF2 is very CPU-intensive and you're running a pentium, that may be your problem. But I wouldn't swear to it.
 
Given that TF2 is very CPU-intensive and you're running a pentium, that may be your problem. But I wouldn't swear to it.

Definitely wrong.

Your hardware is fine and can run the game NO PROBLEM.


Try troubleshooting:

- Update your graphics drivers

- Update your sound drivers

- Update Windows

- Update DirectX

- Close Steam. Delete "ClientRegistry.blob" from the Steam folder and restart Steam.

- Verify your game's cache file integrity (Link: How To)

- Defrag your hard disc
 
Update drivers, things, etc. Also make sure that you have enough ram while you're playing and something isnt sucking up memory.

If everything checks, try running a performance config. It will degrade visuals, and then you'll know whats up. Also, you may want to try lowering the resolution. Basics, but you know, I like to go over it all.
 
ok i tried to update everything but no result everything is still the same :(
just a note: it began after the Engineer update,
 
Definitely wrong.

Your hardware is fine and can run the game NO PROBLEM.

That's not true. Valve is very sloppy with the code for TF2, it takes an up-to-date system to run it now. Not top of the line, mind you. Just not one from 2004.
 
Have any friends close by who have the same RAM as you? If so I would suggest asking them to borrow their RAM for an hour and putting it in.

AMD Phenom II X4 965(3.4GHz)
4GB DDR3 1333 (3.12gb usable)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

My rig runs the game ok I just even went and played for 5 mins before posting to be sure.
 
Definitely wrong.

Your hardware is fine and can run the game NO PROBLEM.


Try troubleshooting:

- Update your graphics drivers

- Update your sound drivers

- Update Windows

- Update DirectX

- Close Steam. Delete "ClientRegistry.blob" from the Steam folder and restart Steam.

- Verify your game's cache file integrity (Link: How To)

- Defrag your hard disc

Listen to do this guy. He's got everything everyone has said, in 1 post
 
Listen to do this guy. He's got everything everyone has said, in 1 post

I wouldn't. I don't think defragging his HDD sounds like a good idea. That and I trust Phobus more. He's been proven knowledgeable and trustworthy on this forum while I don't see WMD posting on Tech Help too often. Plus, repeating other people's information != helpful.
 
I wouldn't. I don't think defragging his HDD sounds like a good idea. That and I trust Phobus more. He's been proven knowledgeable and trustworthy on this forum while I don't see WMD posting on Tech Help too often. Plus, repeating other people's information != helpful.

*cough* Fanboy *cough*
:thumbup1:
 
Pretty much like Phobus already said, updates have drastically changed the system requirements. Back in 2007, the game would have ran nearly perfect with a Pentium D, but unfortunately not anymore. The GTS 250 is a great card, but the CPU is most likely slowing it down.

Also, if it was right after the engineer update, then that might have been enough for your system to say "I can't do this game anymore"
 
ok i tried to update everything but no result everything is still the same :(
just a note: it began after the Engineer update,

I've had this happen before after an update.

You should try clearing out some of the stuff that TF2 creates when it runs.

See this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1474167

1. The most thorough way to make sure there are no issues is to delete your TF2 folder in <Install Directory/Steam/Steamapps/<username>/team fortress 2> You can delete this folder but you will lose any custom files/content.

Don't worry, this doesn't delete all the big downloads and your TF2 settings will be safe in the Steam Cloud. I've done this before when troubleshooting and it's nice because it gives you a clean slate without needing to redownload.
Delete the folder and then start up TF2.
 
Last edited:
so if it is true that i cannot run TF2 anymore and i could get swome new parts for my PC. what should i get ? which ones are not usable for TF2?
 
so if it is true that i cannot run TF2 anymore and i could get swome new parts for my PC. what should i get ? which ones are not usable for TF2?
The only thing that can use an update is the processor. Source-games have generally been a touch more heavier on the processor than on your graphics card and the GTS250 aka. 9800GTX+ is a very good card.

Seeing as you have a Pentium D which I'm pretty sure uses the LGA775 socket updating to a better processor isn't that difficult of a task as you don't need to get a new motherboard to go along with it.

Seeing as I don't know what kind of money you are willing to shell out for a new CPU, I'm gonna suggest something along the lines of this on the cheaper end of things:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115056

And if you have more money to spend I'd generally go with a quad core, Q8x or Q9x-series and you'll have a pretty decent computer to last you a while.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top