Vindictus Online: Discussion

Anchor

EGO Zealot
Joined
May 8, 2010
Messages
1,848
Okay everyone, not sure if this game is new, but it does look pretty nice.


Vindictus is a hack and slash style, MMORPG brawler that mixes instanced stages with persistent towns that act as hubs. Originally titled Mabinogi Heroes, Vindictus is developed by the same studio and is set in the same Celtic themed world. The game was uses the Source engine, which allows players to interact with the environment and also ensures smooth game play. Vindictus has high production value, including well translated dialogue, a clean interface, and cinematics.

The above can be found here. (Click me!)

The E3 trailer for the game, which is bad ass!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6FQjh6L9Ak&feature=fvst[/ame]​

Game play trailer.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnKJpXZxmyU[/ame]​

And a "Raid"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnqrspmncbQ[/ame]​

So tell me, your thoughts? Also download the game here, and is free. (Click Me)
 
*sniffs* Is that a WoW clone a i smell? /sarcasm


Fixed.

Honestly, it doesn't feel like an mmo, more like Guild Wars where you only see other people in hubs and you use those places to buy, sell, trade, craft, and group up. The rest is in instanced dungeons cut off from everyone else.

IMO, the game is an Online Action RPG. Still, game is extremely fun despite the Peer to Peer causing bad lag grps here and there.
 
Last edited:
The game is definitely one of nexon's better games I just wish I had more time so I could actually play it more often...

Btw this game already has some discussion: http://bit.ly/a2Vyhs
 
Last edited:
Good looking game. But seeing that it is F2P. How does the micro transactions effect game play?

Is it a true F2P or do you need to really buy things?
 
Good looking game. But seeing that it is F2P. How does the micro transactions effect game play?

Is it a true F2P or do you need to really buy things?
The game pretty much just came out so right now the things you can buy don't effect game play too much. I may be wrong so someone feel free to correct me.
I do have a feeling that may change in future updates based on other nexon games. They have to make money somehow! lol
 
Might try it out:) Seems interesting, and with the source engine I should be able to run it. I hope the cash shop they have won't make people way better than those who cant afford it. Maybe a bit better, but too much would ruin it.
 
My main is lvl 29 and I haven't even had to think about buying anything.

The item shop is mostly cosmetic. (clothing, hairstyles)

You can buy things like Goddess Grace, which allows you to self-rez if you die on a fight. You can also buy more boat tokens, as when you get past the first boat (Dungeons are usually referred to as "Boats") you hafta pay tokens (two-four at a time) to get to the dungeon and you only get 50 per charge.

Other than that it is pure in-game stuff.
 
My main is lvl 29 and I haven't even had to think about buying anything.

The item shop is mostly cosmetic. (clothing, hairstyles)

You can buy things like Goddess Grace, which allows you to self-rez if you die on a fight. You can also buy more boat tokens, as when you get past the first boat (Dungeons are usually referred to as "Boats") you hafta pay tokens (two-four at a time) to get to the dungeon and you only get 50 per charge.

Other than that it is pure in-game stuff.

That's good to hear that buying stuff is mostly cosmetic.

Well my next question is how do you get tokens without buying them?
 
That's good to hear that buying stuff is mostly cosmetic.

Well my next question is how do you get tokens without buying them?

Your tokens are refreshed to 50 Silver Tokens 2-3 times every week. If you run out before the refresh, you can trade in seals of dedication for extra tokens or you can buy more from the store.
 
>_< Now I want to try this but I dont think my comp can handle it... and I only have a few gigs of free space. lol
 
I played it in the beta. It's fun, but I'd rather play an MMO with vast open areas instead of instanced towns and such.
 
I played it in the beta. It's fun, but I'd rather play an MMO with vast open areas instead of instanced towns and such.

That is a fair point and one of the reasons why I feel that Vindictus is...thinking of a word that's escaping me...maybe misrepresented? The game clearly makes use of some elements that are very commonplace in MMORPGs such as:

Bulletin Board Grouping and Raid Grouping,
Social Interface...archaic as it may be,
Auction-like Marketplace,
Mail System, etc.

But there are no vast open world areas; instead the game is completely comprised of instanced hubs that take on differing roles and purposes whether they be dungeons or safe zones to gather at.

Though it makes use of MMO elements (which were first cultivated in Single-Player RPGs and perhaps MUDS? and then innovated to apply in a massively multiplayer setting), the game is more closely related to an Action-RPG than an MMO. I've seen it in multiple forums where people say that this environment turns them off to the game as MMO players and understandably so b/c it's no more a true MMO than Guild Wars is.
 
Last edited:
That is a fair point and one of the reasons why I feel that Vindictus is...thinking of a word that's escaping me...maybe misrepresented? The game clearly makes use of some elements that are very commonplace in MMORPGs such as:

Bulletin Board Grouping and Raid Grouping,
Social Interface...archaic as it may be,
Auction-like Marketplace,
Mail System, etc.

But there are no vast open world areas; instead the game is completely comprised of instanced hubs that take on differing roles and purposes whether they be dungeons or safe zones to gather at.

Though it makes use of MMO elements (which were first cultivated in Single-Player RPGs and perhaps MUDS? and then innovated to apply in a massively multiplayer setting), the game is more closely related to an Action-RPG than an MMO. I've seen it in multiple forums where people say that this environment turns them off to the game as MMO players and understandably so b/c it's no more a true MMO than Guild Wars is.

Very good points here, hoping maybe when they come out with the 2 new characters that sometime they add a little bit more vast world to explore.
 
Very good points here, hoping maybe when they come out with the 2 new characters that sometime they add a little bit more vast world to explore.

Would not expect explorable areas to see releases outside of the dungeon type instances we've already seen bro. :(

The game seems to focus very much on the Diablo world style of "Dungeon Diving" mixed in w/ the Source Engine Physics that is clearly the exact opposite of Vast open world exploration that most MMOs exhibit.

There will at least be a new town hub to gather at, Rocheste, and there are still three dungeons that are in Mabinogi Heroes (Korean Vindictus) that we have not gotten yet.

Also there is a Player crafting system that has not yet been implemented, but if I've read correctly should be released whenever Rocheste opens up or perhaps not long afterward. Right now crafting is done by NPCs that you give your mats to and they produce said items so that is also something to look forward possibly.

I've never heard of anything outside of the types of content that we already have to be in the works and I'm not gonna hold my breath on any expectations of it. :(

Not saying it's impossible, but from what I've seen thus far it doesn't look likely.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top