1156 v 1366

forty2skates

Forum Fiend
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
732
I'm going to start amassing parts a piece at a time so that I can separate my work computer from my game computer. I'm planning on ordering my case and motherboard this weekend and I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 1366. However, 1156 paired with an i7 875k seems a bit tempting even though I plan to overclock only mildly. Cost is not a big issue, aside from the fact that I will most definitely not be spending $1k on a processor, if you know what I mean.

This isn't a request for motherboard suggestions, just talk me into or out of 1156 socket.
 
Either one is fine, If you plan on using 3 way crossfire or 3 way SLI, then definitely go 1366.

I've used both, and I can say that there is no difference. Nice 1156 boards are cheaper though.
 
Triple channel memory is a cool bonus with the 1366, but the real world difference is almost nothing.
 
Either one is fine, If you plan on using 3 way crossfire or 3 way SLI, then definitely go 1366.

I've used both, and I can say that there is no difference. Nice 1156 boards are cheaper though.

^^^This - if you're not planning on doing anything extreme with graphics (SLI / Crossfire) than 1156 is way more budget friendly.

Only think I can ads is: Intel is planning on releasing it's next line of CPU's in January - codenamed Sandy Bridge. I think (from reading the below article) they'll use socket 1155, and be - i dunno. Something.

All I hope is that they somehow drive down the prices of i5's and i7's soon :)


Intel Core i "Sandy Bridge" Due on January, 5, 2011
[11/17/2010 05:11 PM]
by Anton Shilov

Every new generation of central processing units (CPUs) brings improved performance as well as enhanced set of features. Some generations bring breakthrough changes to computing and some just pass some incremental benefits. According to Intel Corp.'s chief executive officer, the next-generation Core i "Sandy Bridge" chips will bring improvements analogous to what the Pentium was compared to 80486 back in 1993.

"The Sandy Bridge is a 486 to Pentium kind of jump. What the Pentium did was enable the beginning of the multimedia (computing) era by virtues of capabilities built into it. It was the right product at the right time. We are now about to move to the era of visualization - we may be in the middle of that movement today- where everything is about video whether it is consumer or corporate. It is going to be about not just watching video, but sharing video and video conferencing. [...] What this product was engineered for was the optimized video visual experience," said Paul Otellini, chief executive officer and president of Intel, during his speech at COMDEXvirtual.

As is known, Intel Core i "Sandy Bridge" processors, which will be officially launched on the 5th of January, 2011, at the Consumer Electronics Show, integrate highly improved graphics processing core that can compete against entry-level discrete graphics cards. Intel failed to create a competitive standalone graphics processor and had to substantially boost performance of Sandy Bridge's graphics core to provide proper performance in modern multimedia applications and also jump onto the GPGPU bandwagon kick started by ATI (AMD) and Nvidia several years ago.

"I think that things that would take you minutes to do on our latest [Core i 2010] chip that we are shipping today will be seconds on Sandy Bridge in terms of video compression. It really is a revolution in this (video) area. And when you look at the integration of the graphics (on a single chip) it just makes it even better," added Mr. Otellini.

Intel has already initiated mass production of Sandy Bridge family of microprocessors and has also started to ship the chips for revenue.

The first Intel Sandy Bridge chips will feature two or four cores with Turbo Boost and Hyper-Threading technology as well as integrated graphics processor that will actually be on the same die as the x86 cores, according to previous reports. There will be a lot of different desktop models with 35W, 65W (dual-core, quad-core) or 95W (quad-core) thermal design power. The new processors will use LGA1155 form-factor and will only be compatible with platforms based on the Intel 6-series chipsets.

The two key improvements of Sandy Bridge are a new integrated graphics core with much increased performance as well as Intel AVX (Advanced Vector Extensions) technology which, when used by software programmers, will increase performance in floating point, media, and processor intensive software, according to the Intel. Key features of Intel AVX include wider vectors, increasing from 128 bit to 256 bit wide, resulting in up to 2x peak FLOPs output; enhanced data rearrangement, resulting in allowing data to be pulled more efficiently, and three operand, non-destructive syntax for a range of benefits. Intel AVX can also increase energy efficiency beyond the increases brought by the micro-architectural innovations, and is backwards compatible to existing Intel processors.
 
1366 will be better for crossfiring and sli'ing since the motherboards have more PCI lanes. Otherwise, 1156 is a great way to go for budget.
 
If you want to get a 1156 processor, I would highly suggest the Xeon X34** line over the i7's.

They tend to overclock better than the i7, and they are slightly cheaper.:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cription=xeon&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

It's funny you mention Xeons, my business partner and I were just a couple hours ago discussing a new workstation machine for rendering and arguing the merits of going with a dual 1366 Xeon motherboard.

Anyway, for my game machine, I'm currently leaning towards EVGA 1366 and i7 950. However, the weekends not over yet so there's still time to change my mind.
 
Do you plan on using 3 GPUs?

Do you plan on using 2 of the following cards:
5970
580
480

If you answered yes to any of the above, then go X58, otherwise stay P55
 
See Reflex's post above.

Also, if you do anything really memory intensive (which I doubt), it might be worth going X58 for triple channel memory.

IF you do decide to go 1156, I would wait until January/February and go with 1155 and Sandy Bridge.
 
Well my decision just got a little easier. My computer took a dump earlier today, I'm not goig to have a chance to tear it down until tomorrow so I'm going 1156 as a precautionary measure. That way I've got at least some parts interchangeability if my motherboard is toast(cpu mainly, which I'm not planing on buying right away). Case, motherboard, memory, ssd, and Win 7 Ultimate are all on the way.
 
ok, I love my 1156 gear, so much cheaper than 1366, I just have 1366 for the extra PCIe lanes and the more beastly IMC
 

Latest posts

Back
Top