Aftermarket Cooling

Ph?bus

EGO Is My Life!
Joined
Jul 2, 2009
Messages
4,155
What CPU coolers do you guys use?
Also, what GPU coolers do you guys use? Not many have more than stock cooling for the graphics. If you didn't install it yourself (that means any non-reference, but not stock coolers), then it isn't aftermarket. :P
 
You didn't really need to post man, I already know all of that. lol.

When are you getting moar cooling? 212+ doesn't like i7 4ghz

Thermalright coolers are pieces of art. I mean, just look at these.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMQtx5cLDW4&feature=related[/ame]
 
Last edited:
For cpu I have the coolermaster v10 and the pictures on newegg dont do it justice, this thing is HUGE

nothing for gpu, might get something in the future
 
CPU: Coolermaster N520 - was like 30$ on sale when I bought it. Keeps my Core i7 920 cool at 3.6Ghz

GPU: Stock, its a 5850 its already cold enough.
 
CPU: Coolermaster N520 - was like 30$ on sale when I bought it. Keeps my Core i7 920 cool at 3.6Ghz

GPU: Stock, its a 5850 its already cold enough.

I wouldn't say ~75C load isn't cold enough. I'd like it to be under 60C.
 
Currently using a CM Hyper 101i but I think it's time for something bigger now that all my stuff is headed into a larger case.
 
I wouldn't say ~75C load isn't cold enough. I'd like it to be under 60C.

yeah ~75C isn't but ~65-68C is fine. Thats a 6 minute compile aka 100% CPU on all threads. For 30$ this things just fine.
 
yeah ~75C isn't but ~65-68C is fine. Thats a 6 minute compile aka 100% CPU on all threads. For 30$ this things just fine.

I was talking about the 5870.
Those temps are invalid. You gotta stress it for at least an hour to call it good.
 
I was talking about the 5870.
Those temps are invalid. You gotta stress it for at least an hour to call it good.

Trust me if its at 100% and those are temps its reading for 6-10 minutes, theres no way I can push past 100%. 8 Threads at 100%. Not like I can tell it to go 105% or 125%. 100% is 100%. Ive pushed it at 100% for like 20minutes when compiling a really, really, really bad map that was unoptimized and it made me cry. Point being, this CPU doesn't run hot at all. The heater in my room can get hotter than the air that's pushed out at 100%.

Ran Crysis at Max settings for about 30 minutes (shooting sand, enemies, water, throwing grenades, etc) and my card only pushes 53-56C at 35% Fan at 65% it pushes maybe 50-52C. Though I know it can run cooler at higher speeds, I never run it past 35% to begin with. The 5XXX Series was never meant to run hot or use much energy (well okay the 5870 and 5890 both can cause that statement to be negated).

The case I have plus the set up I have allow for maximum air flow thus why I don't need a 75$ Zalman CPU cooler(They are nice and all but overkill is an understatement for my set up) or a GPU cooler (though the GPU is a slot below the top most PCIe x16 slot)
 
Trust me if its at 100% and those are temps its reading for 6-10 minutes, theres no way I can push past 100%. 8 Threads at 100%. Not like I can tell it to go 105% or 125%. 100% is 100%. Ive pushed it at 100% for like 20minutes when compiling a really, really, really bad map that was unoptimized and it made me cry. Point being, this CPU doesn't run hot at all. The heater in my room can get hotter than the air that's pushed out at 100%.

It's not about what percentage you're running it at. I mean, I can push my CPU 100% for 5 seconds, it's still 100%, right? So that could be my load temp, right? It was at 100%, after all...
My point is, it will be hotter, and more accurate, the longer you stress it. 5 minute load temps are invalid as load temps.

Ran Crysis at Max settings for about 30 minutes (shooting sand, enemies, water, throwing grenades, etc) and my card only pushes 53-56C at 35% Fan at 65% it pushes maybe 50-52C. Though I know it can run cooler at higher speeds, I never run it past 35% to begin with. The 5XXX Series was never meant to run hot or use much energy (well okay the 5870 and 5890 both can cause that statement to be negated).

Furmark > Crysis
That fan is loud, though...
WTF IS A 5890. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE. There is no 5890. There's a 5870, and a 5970. It's been over a year, so there is no excuse for saying 5890 any more.
/rage

The case I have plus the set up I have allow for maximum air flow thus why I don't need a 75$ Zalman CPU cooler(They are nice and all but overkill is an understatement for my set up) or a GPU cooler (though the GPU is a slot below the top most PCIe x16 slot)

But it's always nice to have the extra cooling power for when you need it.





The Thermalright Shaman is just stupid imo. It's too damn big. It takes up 4 slots. Can't do multi GPU configurations. Plus, it's so heavy, I'd fear the PCB would snap. O_O
 
Last edited:
WTF IS A 5890. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE. There is no 5890. There's a 5870, and a 5970. It's been over a year, so there is no excuse for saying 5890 any more.
/rage

Its called a typo, but thanks for over reacting.
 
CPU cooler "Hyper TX3" one fan (push), on Athlon 2 x3 3.49 GHz MAX temp 45 ?C Idles at 25?C

GPU cooler "Accelero l2 pro" on 5750 never gets above 60?C at full load idles at 45?C

Room temps 35?C summer 20?C winter

Modest but gets the job done :P
 
CPU cooler "Hyper TX3" one fan (push), on Athlon 2 x3 3.49 GHz MAX temp 45 ?C Idles at 25?C

GPU cooler "Accelero l2 pro" on 5750 never gets above 60?C at full load idles at 45?C

Room temps 35?C summer 20?C winter

Modest but gets the job done :P

Wow it gets 35C in your room during summer? Sheesh. My house is ~20C year round. <3 AC
 
Wow it gets 35C in your room during summer?

ups haha, conversion mistake 30?C inside 35? to 40?C outside in summer. I dont use an ac just a regular roof mount fan. :)
 
Im sure that mine will be the lamest of all, but I dont care.

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (not sure on temps, but then my c2d isnt overclocked anymore; too lazy to overclock it again).

Stock cooling for my 9800GT.

Once I get enough $$ set aside for possible quad core, then ill get a proper aftermarket cooler for it & overclock the crap outta it.
 
I have a Sunbeam 92mm CPU cooler on a AMD Athlon II [email protected]. (34C Idle - 46C Load)

9500GT 1GB 650/1550/650 stock cooler, additional 80mm fan suspended from card. (38C Idle - 52C Load)


They both look like this, i know i have some nasty cable management and splicing going on :P
 

Latest posts

Back
Top