Pc Upgrades / Sandy bridge

astyle

EGO Zealot
Joined
Jun 1, 2009
Messages
1,534
Going to be getting these
mobo - asus sabertooth x58
gpu - gtx 470 for SLI (or selling my 470 and get 2-570's)
ssd - unsure (need help with this, is it really worth getting)
case - HAF X


OR I was thinking about waiting for sandy bridge, what do you guys think about SB? worth getting or just keep my current setup (thinking of getting SB just to waste my xmas bonus)
 
Just keep your current setup. Sandy bridge looks more of an improvement in the laptop department.

Get the upgraded gpu/case/ssd. If u need to upgrade the mobo then do it.
 
Sandy Bridge won't be too much of an upgrade from what you have now. Unless you're into overclocking. But what you have now is fine.
I'd sell that 470 and buy 2x 570s, as well as an SF-1200 based SSD.
I don't care for the HAF X too much. But hey, if you like it, go ahead and get it.
 
If anything at least wait for SB. Once that comes out, hopefully X58 prices will drop.


If it was me, I would get SB instead of X58 because of the much better overclocking performance.
 
Sandy Bridge won't be too much of an upgrade from what you have now. Unless you're into overclocking. But what you have now is fine.
I'd sell that 470 and buy 2x 570s, as well as an SF-1200 based SSD.
I don't care for the HAF X too much. But hey, if you like it, go ahead and get it.

Is an SSD really worth getting? and what full tower do you like / perfer ?

reflex, I think I will wait to see how much prices drop
 
Reflex....he already has an X58 and the Asus P6T SE

Yes an SSD is totally worth it. I just got mine yesterday. OCZ Vertex 2 60GB. I did a fresh install and everything, it loads windows so freaking fast. I just put the OS on it and a few games and applications like Chrome and Microsoft office.
 
Reflex....he already has an X58 and the Asus P6T SE

Yes an SSD is totally worth it. I just got mine yesterday. OCZ Vertex 2 60GB. I did a fresh install and everything, it loads windows so freaking fast. I just put the OS on it and a few games and applications like Chrome and Microsoft office.

how was I supposed to know this?

P6T SE is not an Ideal X58 board
 
Yes my MOBO does suck, I used to have a gigabyte ud3r and two of the memory slots stoped working so when i took it back they only had the p6t se in-stock so i just got that cause i knew i was gonna sli in the beginning of the year and would need a new mobo anyways
 
pretty sure that the SE doesn't support SLI unless you flash the bios to the Deluxe version.
 
Is an SSD really worth getting? and what full tower do you like / perfer ?

reflex, I think I will wait to see how much prices drop

If fast boot times and a very responsive OS are your thing, then yes. If you're expecting it to increase frame rates, no, it will not.
I prefer silence over sheer size. I'd love to have an Antec P183, or an NZXT Whisper (with a few mods, of course). Or any good Lian Li case.

Since you already have X58 stuff, I would probably stick with X58.

It's not like he can sell his x58 stuff or anything. :rolleyes:
 
I have a full size tower and kinda regret it now. It's nice and roomy, but it just feel humongous.

Would prefer a mid-size after having my HAF 932. The airflow on it is amazing though. Too bad it attracts a lot of dust too lol
 
If fast boot times and a very responsive OS are your thing, then yes. If you're expecting it to increase frame rates, no, it will not.
I prefer silence over sheer size. I'd love to have an Antec P183, or an NZXT Whisper (with a few mods, of course). Or any good Lian Li case.



It's not like he can sell his x58 stuff or anything. :rolleyes:

selling=loss of $$$
 
selling=loss of $$$

So is waiting.

Anyhow, like Phobus said, your not gonna get in-game performance upgrades just by using a SSD. Maybe booting the game might be quicker. I'd recommend to ONLY put your OS (maybe your Antivirus scanner of choice too) because the more space being used on any Hard drive will degrade it's performance. If you do get SSD, why not get 2 and RAID0 it. Of course this is assuming you have a storage HDD to put everything else on.
 
So is waiting.

Anyhow, like Phobus said, your not gonna get in-game performance upgrades just by using a SSD. Maybe booting the game might be quicker. I'd recommend to ONLY put your OS (maybe your Antivirus scanner of choice too) because the more space being used on any Hard drive will degrade it's performance. If you do get SSD, why not get 2 and RAID0 it. Of course this is assuming you have a storage HDD to put everything else on.

SSDs in RAID = no TRIM.
Unless your SSD has aggressive garbage collection, it wouldn't be worth it.
 
1 ssd is fast enough. Also from what i heard, isn't a single SSD faster at loading the OS than SSD's in RAID 0.
 
Back
Top