New Graphic card

torzak

Famous
Joined
Jul 1, 2009
Messages
487
So I've had my current Nvidia PNY 9800gt EE for a few years now and I'm wanting to upgrade it. I have $150 I can spend. I looked at Newegg and the ATI 5770 and the Nvidia GTS 450 are both in that price range. Which of those cards are better and which brand should I get? Or what other cards are in the price range? All recommendations are welcomed. I play all Valve game, BFBC2, WOW, Aion, and I want Crysis 2 when it comes out. Thanks in advanced.
 
So I've had my current Nvidia PNY 9800gt EE for a few years now and I'm wanting to upgrade it. I have $150 I can spend. I looked at Newegg and the ATI 5770 and the Nvidia GTS 450 are both in that price range. Which of those cards are better and which brand should I get? Or what other cards are in the price range? All recommendations are welcomed. I play all Valve game, BFBC2, WOW, Aion, and I want Crysis 2 when it comes out. Thanks in advanced.

You kid? A $150 card will be lucky to even run that at low when it gets released. Least that's my guess.
 
You kid? A $150 card will be lucky to even run that at low when it gets released. Least that's my guess.

unlikely, Cry Engine 3 has to be compatible with consoles, and from rumors thusfar, will use less resources than Cry Engine 2
 
Wasn't it supposed to be released 6 months ago? First two were overrated anyways.

5770 isn't much of an upgrade, so I agree with the GTX 460.
 
I just happen to have a 9800gt and a MSI 5770, lol. :)

There's no question that the 5770 out performs the 9800gt. (my 5770 plays TF2 at 1080 resolution with almost max settings without a problem).

I am very happy with my 5770, I'm thinking about finding another cheap one for a Xfire config.
However, if the gtx 460 is the about the price as the 5770 I'd grab the gtx.
 
You kid? A $150 card will be lucky to even run that at low when it gets released. Least that's my guess.

Well i bought my 9800 for $100 and I'm able to play any game ive tried max settings, including Crysis 1, so something like a gtx 460 should run Crysis 2 fine.
 
Well i bought my 9800 for $100 and I'm able to play any game ive tried max settings, including Crysis 1, so something like a gtx 460 should run Crysis 2 fine.

I am going to have to call bull crap.


define run. You have a godlike 9800 if you can run crysis maxed out at a playable FPS
 
Well i bought my 9800 for $100 and I'm able to play any game ive tried max settings, including Crysis 1, so something like a gtx 460 should run Crysis 2 fine.

Yea no dude. You may have been able to "run" crysis at somewhere in teh range of 20-30 fps at medium settings (no AA, AT, et.al.), but there is NO way you can get passable framerates in crysis with that card- especially at absolutely maxed settings.
 
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9deOO6X4Lg[/ame]

A 9800gt does play Crysis on Very High. I maxed it easily at 1440x900, before I upgraded everything. He's also playing with a crap CPU.

Actually buy one and try it, before you assume the card is crap. It's not over 70fps like they are nowadays, but it still plays at above decent frame rates.
 
9800GT doesn't have enough frame buffer to run it above 1680x1050 and on high settings. Only has 512 MB to 1 GB of VRAM. You really need like a 480 (1.5 GB VRAM) to like a 6970 (2 GB VRAM) to play it on uber high settings. Plus these cards are GDDR5 is much faster than GDDR3. Then core clocks, and everything.
 
I'm sorry, I didn't realize- by that logic, I can run any game at ultra quality as well, even with an, say, All in Wonder. Just pop it into 800x600 mode and enjoy!
Seriously though... What AF/AA? And if none or 2x then get out.
 
if you can save up a little more, I still think the best bang for the buck is
the 5850. check it our on newegg.
 
if you can save up a little more, I still think the best bang for the buck is
the 5850. check it our on newegg.

Depends on your price point and your PSU. I would take a GTX460 1 GB (not the SE model) over a 5850 because 5850 is already succeeded and the prices have not dropped dramatically. GTX 460 is the best sub 180 dollar card you can get (EVGA one can be bought for 155 after MIR). Also runs NICE and cool, my i7 rig with the 940 scores nearly 20k marks.
 
A 9800gt does play Crysis on Very High. I maxed it easily at 1440x900, before I upgraded everything. He's also playing with a crap CPU.

Actually buy one and try it, before you assume the card is crap. It's not over 70fps like they are nowadays, but it still plays at above decent frame rates.

*slides finger vertically in the air*
 

Latest posts

Back
Top