Sandy Bridge: Who's buyin'?

reflex99

EGO Is My Life!
Joined
Dec 18, 2008
Messages
4,044
I already have my motherboard, (MSI P67A-GD55), and i am just waiting on the proc.

Which of you are also planning on getting one?
 
:laugh: :mellow::bored:

I wont be buyin one.

Care to elaborate why? SB @ 5GHz dominates anything we have today.

I'll be picking one up very soon. I'm about to take my rig out for a photoshoot, which I mean I will be setting it up with good lighting and taking some nice pictures. I'll be putting up an ad on craigslist pretty soon. I just need some free time to take those pictures. lol.
 
Care to elaborate why? SB @ 5GHz dominates anything we have today.

I'll be picking one up very soon. I'm about to take my rig out for a photoshoot, which I mean I will be setting it up with good lighting and taking some nice pictures. I'll be putting up an ad on craigslist pretty soon. I just need some free time to take those pictures. lol.

Going to wait until later this summer to possibly purchase a new motherboard. I want to replace all my case fans with noctuas and pick up more 10k rpm drives or some ssd's. Running out of space D:

besides, whats the point if all my games still run at 60+ avg fps on high settings and cs4 still works like a charm?

-Blue
 
Going to wait until later this summer to possibly purchase a new motherboard. I want to replace all my case fans with noctuas and pick up more 10k rpm drives or some ssd's. Running out of space D:

besides, whats the point if all my games still run at 60+ avg fps on high settings and cs4 still works like a charm?

-Blue

Man. You're doing harddrives and SSDs wrong. Get some 2TB storage drives, and get a 120GB SSD for boot drive and important games/programs.

larger
e-peen

lol'd
 
While I appreciate intel in general, for strictly gaming purposes I feel that they are overpriced in general for what it is.

I would love to buy sandybridge if I could afford it, but I still would use NO program consistently that would actually be necessary of them.

In a strictly gaming stand-point, I see no point of going sandy bridge, except for epeen... which is cool too.

My computer (955amd, 5850ati, 4gb 1600ram) seems to be enough to play ANY game currently at 1920x1080, at high settings.

If you are not one of those people who need top of line gear for your business, or for epeen, no real reason to upgrade. (unless you JUST decided to upgrade recently, and want the most future-proof upgrade possible [but with intel's attitude of the past, you may as well wait for amd to come out with bulldozer so you don't have to deal with 4 platforms in 5 years from intel])
 
While I appreciate intel in general, for strictly gaming purposes I feel that they are overpriced in general for what it is.

I would love to buy sandybridge if I could afford it, but I still would use NO program consistently that would actually be necessary of them.

In a strictly gaming stand-point, I see no point of going sandy bridge, except for epeen... which is cool too.

My computer (955amd, 5850ati, 4gb 1600ram) seems to be enough to play ANY game currently at 1920x1080, at high settings.

If you are not one of those people who need top of line gear for your business, or for epeen, no real reason to upgrade. (unless you JUST decided to upgrade recently, and want the most future-proof upgrade possible [but with intel's attitude of the past, you may as well wait for amd to come out with bulldozer so you don't have to deal with 4 platforms in 5 years from intel])

+1
 
While I appreciate intel in general, for strictly gaming purposes I feel that they are overpriced in general for what it is.

I would love to buy sandybridge if I could afford it, but I still would use NO program consistently that would actually be necessary of them.

In a strictly gaming stand-point, I see no point of going sandy bridge, except for epeen... which is cool too.

My computer (955amd, 5850ati, 4gb 1600ram) seems to be enough to play ANY game currently at 1920x1080, at high settings.

If you are not one of those people who need top of line gear for your business, or for epeen, no real reason to upgrade. (unless you JUST decided to upgrade recently, and want the most future-proof upgrade possible [but with intel's attitude of the past, you may as well wait for amd to come out with bulldozer so you don't have to deal with 4 platforms in 5 years from intel])

I'm not sure about yours, but my computer does more than games ;)


EDIT: and if you can play Metro maxed out 1080p, you have one of the most godly 5850s i have ever seem :O
 
i know this may be sad, but for me im still on c2d & just really plan on upgrading to c2q (unless i can get c2e for a really good price). i dont really need to overhaul it. besides, if ive overhauled anything, its the hard drive space. im currently runnin on 3.5tb of space, which is PLENTY. i just picked up a 2tb external over black friday & still have yet to do anything w/ it. but im sure glad that u guys have $$ to blow on the latest technology.

just curious, what will you do w/ ur old cpu's??
 
While I appreciate intel in general, for strictly gaming purposes I feel that they are overpriced in general for what it is.

I would love to buy sandybridge if I could afford it, but I still would use NO program consistently that would actually be necessary of them.

In a strictly gaming stand-point, I see no point of going sandy bridge, except for epeen... which is cool too.

My computer (955amd, 5850ati, 4gb 1600ram) seems to be enough to play ANY game currently at 1920x1080, at high settings.

If you are not one of those people who need top of line gear for your business, or for epeen, no real reason to upgrade. (unless you JUST decided to upgrade recently, and want the most future-proof upgrade possible [but with intel's attitude of the past, you may as well wait for amd to come out with bulldozer so you don't have to deal with 4 platforms in 5 years from intel])

I'm getting one for two, maybe 3 reasons.

1. I review hardware. It benefits to have to latest and greatest.
2. I like to benchmark. It benefits to have a beastly set up.
3. I like to overclock, and these can hit near 5Ghz on air.

i know this may be sad, but for me im still on c2d & just really plan on upgrading to c2q (unless i can get c2e for a really good price). i dont really need to overhaul it. besides, if ive overhauled anything, its the hard drive space. im currently runnin on 3.5tb of space, which is PLENTY. i just picked up a 2tb external over black friday & still have yet to do anything w/ it. but im sure glad that u guys have $$ to blow on the latest technology.

just curious, what will you do w/ ur old cpu's??

I don't have the money to blow, I sell my old stuff and cover the difference (usually a $100, or around there).

I don't have any old PCs or CPUs. I sold them.
 
No, waiting until Rockwell (or whatever the late 2013/2014 processors are). If I absolutely have to upgrade my CPU in the meanwhile, I will grab one- but until then or 2014, no.
 
No, waiting until Rockwell (or whatever the late 2013/2014 processors are). If I absolutely have to upgrade my CPU in the meanwhile, I will grab one- but until then or 2014, no.

You won't be upgrading until 2013/14? For shame. Great way to hold the tech back.
 
Yeah, seeing as how I just bought my entire i5 rig in December I'll wait at least a year until I look at upgrading there. I'm definitely interested in SB, but there's just really no need for me to upgrade at this time.
 
Haven't been able to max out my Phenom II X4 965 yet. Therefore, I don't really see the point in upgrading. Once my CPU starts becoming a MAJOR bottleneck in the "gamescape" I'll start looking into a new CPU upgrade. Until then, I'm very content.

As long as games like BC2 can be maxed out @ 60 FPS, there's no point in upgrading. :)
 
Last edited:
2500k looks like a great deal, but as others have said, no reason to upgrade something that ain't broke atm (aka, serves my needs just fine). I want there 8 core/16 thread processor anyways in Q3, lol.
 
I'm still planning a second computer to separate work and play but that's been pushed down the road until probably this summer. As to whether I'm going to go with Sandy Bridge depends on the kind of difference it's going to make in all the AutoDesk and Adobe products I use everyday. Looking forward to seeing some real world numbers, if it can scream through Revit and 3Ds Max renderings then it might very well be in the cards, otherwise I'm thinking LGA1366 of some sort.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top