Computer Build

Martyr

Thread Junky
Joined
Jan 6, 2011
Messages
824
Hey, I happen to need a gaming computer build. My current rig is falling behind, and I need to rebuild some of it.
If anyone has any build suggestions, i would be very happy :)

I'm hoping for it to be under $600. I would like it to be an AMD based system.
The reason I think it can be good for under $600 is I have an HD, DvD drive, Gaming PSU (750w), and perhaps a re-usuable graphics card (until i get more monies for a better one).
So all i can think of really needing is a mobo, cpu, and ram. I may be forgetting stuff though >.>
Also, i would like it to be playing games on at least medium 2-3 years from now still. Obviously i will be needing to upgrade the graphics card eventually as I have a 9600GT. If you need more info, let me know.
If you need to know what the specs of my current stuff is, i can find the boxes. Same for the case. I dunno if i can reuse my case, as i don't know what the common mobo's are these days. I believe i have a micro-atx case, but there's a good chance i'm wrong. I'll edit when i figure it out :)

I built my current computer.

Thanks :)
 
What do you have right now? If you're running DDR2, then you will probably want to replace all that in one swoop. I'm curious what PSU you have and how old it is. Unfortunately, those just die from time faster than other parts and they can take everything with them. And the case size is important. I would hate to have you buy an ATX mobo that just doesn't fit.

That being said, if everything is good then $600 would be plenty for the guts of a new build. A good CPU for $200 mobo for $80-$100, RAM in the $50s, you're looking at $200-$250 left for a new GPU. That sounds like a 6870 or a 470 if you can find a good sale. I'll look into it some more and post here.

CPU $140: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808
Mobo $90: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131402
RAM $55: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145251

That's $300 left over. That means you can get a $300 GPU, or a $200 with a new PSU if you have to. Of course, if you want to spend $600 on just the CPU mobo and RAM, you can work that out too :P.
 
Last edited:
Once I get home from work and what not, i'll find all the exacts that I have and post em here. Hopefully i'll still have my newegg receipt. I forget when i got my PSU though. It's a nicer one. When i dig out my boxes and stuff, i'll be sure to post it here.
 
I'd say if you are going amd right now a few things.

go for the 8xx mobo, if only for some future proofing as it has native 6gb/s /sata3. Also, with ram prices being as low as they are, (lowest in 22 months or something like that) I see nothing wrong with going 8gb right now.

Also, what size is your monitor/resolution
 
Eh. I run 1920x1080.
I'm looking into that build pet rock :) I currently am being the good researcher and getting advice from multiple places :)
 
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m3_motherboard_usb_3.0-_-13-157-198-_-Product

USB 3.0, Sata 6 gb/s, PCI Express 2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (Single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode)

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...33&cm_re=8gb_1333_ddr3-_-20-178-333-_-Product

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ddr3_1333_kingston_4gb-_-20-104-140-_-Product

8gb vs 4gb...i like the timings on the 4gb one and you can always and a second pair in the future or you could just get 2 sets of the 4gb right off the bat


Your looking at $300 after rebates for these 3.

However, if your case is microatx and you want to keep it, the mobo is going to need to be changed...if not, you can do a decent case for about $50...6870 would run you $200 or $160 for 6850...a 9600gt is weak compared to these two. Antec true power 650w would not be a bad psu. Or if your psu is a reliable one, ignore it altogether and put more into your graphics card such as a 6950.
 
Last edited:
My case is ATX, so all is good :)

Also what's the big difference between the mobo huckle suggested and the one rock suggested?
 
If you are pinching pennies, the only difference between the 955 and the 965 is a minor speed boost, which you could easily do yourself by means of a minor oc
 

Latest posts

Back
Top