Swapping motherboards? How hard can it be?

Dobbeh

Famous
Joined
Jun 16, 2009
Messages
513
Title kind of suggests ;)

Hoping to replace my CPU (old Quad core @ 2.4GHz), but will need to buy a new motherboard

Looking at buying this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-062-OE

The board itself is built, with CPU, RAM and other stuff already fitted.

But my main question is how easily is it to swap the motherboards over? Is it a case of unplug power supply and links to the board, and fit again in reverse order? Or is it A LOT harder to do? And what about compatibility issues?

Any help would be appreciated :D On a tight budget this year, and the shop wants to charge about ?90 to do it.

Many thanks :D
 
Can you put together legos? If you can, good, it's easier than that (way less parts, really obvious where things go; if it doesn't fit in the hole..and its labeled). Just be mindful of static etc. Might have to be a little rough to get a few things in its slot, the hardest part can be mounting the heatsink.

Use the standoffs already in the case.
 
^ what he said ^

and also make sure that the parts you are keeping are compatible with the new board.
for example: make sure your harddrives or dvd drives are sata and not IDE, though I doubt you would have any IDE connections, and make sure that your old power supply can support the i5 processor.
 
800W PSU. Think I have enough power :D

Everything is SATA too.

Like the sounds of this! Gonna buy with my next paycheck! Thanks lads :D
 
Very nice you are going with a sandy tell me how you like it, I am hoping to get one aswell.
 
Will do!

Looking forward to having a MUCH faster CPU. After this, I think I can smell a GTX460 xD
 
Take some pics of how it looks and share it if you can. We wanna see that SB goodness.

P.S. Chemist you lie! I don't risk cutting myself with legos as I do with swapping mobos. Though of course, anytime i upgrade, I always find some way to cut myself during the process (last one was a 3rd party heatsink I installed. Those fins are SHARP!) I've come to think of it as a blood offering to the PC gods now; a ritual that must be performed however painfully it is.
 
Take some pics of how it looks and share it if you can. We wanna see that SB goodness.

P.S. Chemist you lie! I don't risk cutting myself with legos as I do with swapping mobos. Though of course, anytime i upgrade, I always find some way to cut myself during the process (last one was a 3rd party heatsink I installed. Those fins are SHARP!) I've come to think of it as a blood offering to the PC gods now; a ritual that must be performed however painfully it is.

Lmao. :laugh:
 
The hardware swap isnt too tough, but if you have windows, you could run into software problems related to the Mobo change. Just make sure you clean up all the previous motherboard drivers before reinstalling and you should be good there. If you see other issues, just report here and we can help out.
 
just make sure you get the updated drivers as well as the drivers for your mobo, our your stuff may not work
 

Latest posts

Back
Top