Computer Build Help

ThePineapple

Rookie
Joined
Mar 21, 2011
Messages
70
Hello everyone from eGO.
I am currently beginning to build a computer and i need some part recommendations.
It will be my first computer build but i don't have the budget so am just looking for a decent rig.
So far i only have-
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black edition CPU.

Please recommend everything else that you can. please do not make it very expensive. I'm young and don't have all that much money on me ATM so 700 would be a stretch for me 600 would be perfect. Thank you everyone.

ThePineapple
 
Might I recommend this guide? ;)

I'm currently work on section two as we speak. It will be done later today, hopefully. So many pictures...
 
So far seems like good help, i would like to get more opinions and recommendations as well, Thank You

ThePineapple
 
I would go with the Phenom II 955 instead of the 965. It's the same processor, just with one more notch up on the multiplier. It's an unlocked chip, so you can do that yourself.
 
I would go with the Phenom II 955 instead of the 965. It's the same processor, just with one more notch up on the multiplier. It's an unlocked chip, so you can do that yourself.

That's true, i'll look into that. It has an AM3 socket correct?
 
Probably a 6850 or GTX 460 768MB. The 6850 is more powerful most of the time, but the driver support (in Linux) is loads better than the 6850. Compiling your own xorg server config is fun... not...
 
This will provide you with all the gaming power you need: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15824292 $618$ without shipping.

However, I don't believe you even need a BE edition processor, unless you feel you must be able to overclock. Chances are whether you do or don't you're gonna need a CPU cooler so I highly recommend you get this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065 whether or not you OC. AMD stock fans are garbage. THat would bring it to about $650.

This build will run any game max at 1080P (Excluding Crysis 1, probably Crysis 2 though) and most of them with 2X anti aliasing(All you need at 1080P). A regular Phenom II X4 CPU @ 3 will minus about $30. Everything is is pretty much as low as you can go without it hurting you/ The case might be able to go $10-15 if you get a Rosewill DESTROYER, it should be $40 with promo code. I highly recommend not downgrading the PSU. The RAM could go down $5-10. The motherboard shouldn't be downgraded, but you can if you want to(Like a micro-atx MB with 1 PCI-E slot.) a 500GB HDD would minus like $5-10. Pretty much nothing would be worth downgrading if you want to keep quality.

A few more bucks and you can get a 6850 if you'd like instead of the 460.
 
Last edited:
This will provide you with all the gaming power you need: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15824292

However, I don't believe you even need a BE edition processor, unless you feel you must be able to overclock. Chances are whether you do or don't you're gonna need a CPU cooler so I highly recommend you get this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065 whether or not you OC. AMD stock fans are garbage.

This build will game run any game max at 1080P and most of them with 2X anti aliasing(All you need at 1080P).

Thanks this could be something i actually may end up buying. Ill take a look.
 
This will provide you with all the gaming power you need: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15824292 $618$ without shipping.

However, I don't believe you even need a BE edition processor, unless you feel you must be able to overclock. Chances are whether you do or don't you're gonna need a CPU cooler so I highly recommend you get this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065 whether or not you OC. AMD stock fans are garbage. THat would bring it to about $650.

This build will game run any game max at 1080P and most of them with 2X anti aliasing(All you need at 1080P). A regular Phenom II X4 CPU @ 3 will minus about $30. Everything is is pretty much as low as you can go without it hurting you/ The case might be able to go $10-15 if you get a Rosewill DESTROYER, it should be $40 with promo code. I highly recommend not downgrading the PSU. The RAM could go down $5-10. The motherboard shouldn't be downgraded, but you can if you want to(Like a micro-atx MB with 1 PCI-E slot.) a 500GB HDD would minus like $5-10. Pretty much nothing would be worth downgrading if you want to keep quality.

A few more bucks and you can get a 6850 if you'd like instead of the 460.

That power supply isn't that great for the price. And the graphics card is overpriced. The GTS 450 is the same in terms of performance, yet can cost as low as $115. I wouldn't suggest getting a Green drive for the OS, or anything but storage, really. They're pretty slow. For hard disks, I would recommend the F3 drives from Samsung.
 
That power supply isn't that great for the price. And the graphics card is overpriced. The GTS 450 is the same in terms of performance, yet can cost as low as $115. I wouldn't suggest getting a Green drive for the OS, or anything but storage, really. They're pretty slow. For hard disks, I would recommend the F3 drives from Samsung.

The PSU (Especially since it's from Corsair)is great for the price(40 Amps, Single Rail, corsair), but I won't bother arguing about it as I don't really care.

The 550Ti is roughly ~20%+ stronger in some benchmarks on TH: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-550-ti-gf116-radeon-hd-5770,2892-17.html It's new, so the price is a bit higher than it normally would be. He can get any GPU he wants, it's just a suggestion. I'd get the 6850 he can stretch it.

The Hard Drive is fine. I've used one before. It is all a person like him needs for gaming and basically everything else a typical consumer uses their PC for.
 
Last edited:
I'm with P here. For $65 there are much better options.

CX600 is ok, but if it is anything like the rest of the new CX series, It it not the greatest PSU (low quality primary caps, sleeve bearing fan, 1yr warranty, etc) According to the spec sheet, the CX600 can only supply ~480w on it's 12v rail, which indicates it is probably an overrated 500W unit.

Some good alternitaves:
antec earthwatts 500D
Silverstone ST50-F (<-also only has 1yr warranty)
antec earthwatts EA650


Also, the 212+ has free shipping over at amazon.


Last thing, I would not advise running a 125w processor in that motherboard. Cheapo 3 transistor design+non-lowRDS(on) mosfets, along with ASrock's track record on their low end boards, is a recipe for VRM failure.
 
I'm with P here. For $65 there are much better options.

CX600 is ok, but if it is anything like the rest of the new CX series, It it not the greatest PSU (low quality primary caps, sleeve bearing fan, 1yr warranty, etc) According to the spec sheet, the CX600 can only supply ~480w on it's 12v rail, which indicates it is probably an overrated 500W unit.

Some good alternitaves:
antec earthwatts 500D
Silverstone ST50-F (<-also only has 1yr warranty)
antec earthwatts EA650


Also, the 212+ has free shipping over at amazon.


Last thing, I would not advise running a 125w processor in that motherboard. Cheapo 3 transistor design+non-lowRDS(on) mosfets, along with ASrock's track record on their low end boards, is a recipe for VRM failure.

Ya no worries about the motherboard. I'm going with a more reliable ("Father" company of ASrock) ASUS.
 
PSU wise, like others have said, cx600 is cheap. I like the earthwatts that reflex recommended though!

As for gpu, definitely not the 550 ti. 460 1gb or 6850 are what you will want. Even 460 768mb is faster and a bit cheaper.
 
Alright so far I'm liking the recommendations. I'm getting a lot more done. List for parts should be done and ordered within two weeks!
 
Please more info if willing to contribute. So far i have pretty much all i need but if anyone has anything to say feel free to post it.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top