Major Canadian ISP admits to throttling WoW

Mr.Game

Forum Fiend
Joined
Feb 2, 2011
Messages
695
You saw the title.

Read the article here:
[button="http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/03/oops-major-canadian-isp-admits-throttling-world-of-warcraft.ars"]SOURCE[/button]


OPINIONS Anyone!?



(Thanks for Mike Nomad at RGN for posting this first)
 
I see Rogers paying a lawsuit, or at the very least, being forced to refund customers...
 
Just so everyone knows that Rogers is throttling the P2P aspect of the game and not the gameplay itself? I'm not big fan of any kind of traffic shaping but we've (rogers customers) been living under this for a while now unfortunately.

Take it to your MP when they ask your opinion concerning what you want changed for the upcoming election!
 
I'm glad I switched out of Rogers to Teksavvy. Teksavvy may be using Rogers' assets, but I haven't experienced a problem with them.

<3 Teksavvy
 
Rogers = epitome of large, evil organization looking for ways to squeeze every penny out of helpless "customers" who are forced to stay with them due to $500 contract cancellation fees.

I changed to Bell to spite them. Even though Bell isn't much better, at least they aren't Rogers. That's how horrible Rogers is as a company.

Oh and another tid-bit... Rogers is considering buying Toronto Maple Leafs, Raptors, Toronto FC (they are all owned by same company), then giving their sports channel exclusive rights to their games. Then charging even more for that channel.
 
Last edited:
on thing i'll never underestimate is greed, and thats all rogers cares about, obviously, is the ole mighty dollar.
and ya it isn't any secret that rogers will throttle your service if you use too much bandwidth...they've been doing that since their existence
 
Why Comcast is the equivalent of Roger's. They do much the same in almost every respect. Things are no different this side of the border.
 
Why Comcast is the equivalent of Roger's. They do much the same in almost every respect. Things are no different this side of the border.

Yeah. I don't have Comcast. Almost everyone I know that has Comcast complains about them.
 
Is Comcast buying up sports teams to force fans to pay $15/month for "exclusive" channels? Rogers = imadbro.

Shaw is not available in Toronto. :(

My choices for internet are: Rogers, Bell, Teksavvy.

Teksavvy is a bit too expensive for my usage (~50GB/month).
 
Is Comcast buying up sports teams to force fans to pay $15/month for "exclusive" channels? Rogers = imadbro.

Shaw is not available in Toronto. :(

My choices for internet are: Rogers, Bell, Teksavvy.

Teksavvy is a bit too expensive for my usage (~50GB/month).

My family has 300 GB for $42/month.
 
Why Comcast is the equivalent of Roger's. They do much the same in almost every respect. Things are no different this side of the border.

in my area they don't throttle, and the cap is really high, like 200GB

Well, they don't "throttle", as long as you don't count being down all together as throttling.
 
Yeah. I don't have Comcast. Almost everyone I know that has Comcast complains about them.

I never really complained about them. But, my speeds were always over 3-4 times the nation average. The only noticeable thing was the speed cap at around 35Mbps. But that was the modem, not the actual service.
 
I never really complained about them. But, my speeds were always over 3-4 times the nation average. The only noticeable thing was the speed cap at around 35Mbps. But that was the modem, not the actual service.

Talking about my real life friends. I do have a life, you know. :P
 
Is Comcast buying up sports teams to force fans to pay $15/month for "exclusive" channels? Rogers = imadbro.

Shaw is not available in Toronto. :(

My choices for internet are: Rogers, Bell, Teksavvy.

Teksavvy is a bit too expensive for my usage (~50GB/month).

weird, teksavvy in my area is cheaper by a fair amount (same price for me actually since i run a dry loop) but has literally more than 10x the bandwidth per month.
but thats exactly why they are trying to cap the bandwidth for indie ISPs to 25gb/month cause that would put them at the same range as bell/rogers

oh and im not sure about comcast, but yes its becoming a big problem everywhere now for big corporations to buy up sports franchises so they can basically do whatever they want with them to make a little bit more profit. not just franchises but buildings...this is happening all over north america
 
Talking about my real life friends. I do have a life, you know. :P

Yeah people here complain about them too. The only problem I really had was with customer service (which was for cable). They're around the ranks of AT&T support in my opinion. I don't understand how those brain dead people get jobs anyways.
 
Yeah people here complain about them too. The only problem I really had was with customer service (which was for cable). They're around the ranks of AT&T support in my opinion. I don't understand how those brain dead people get jobs anyways.

Because they've talked on a phone professionally before. lol.
Comcast's service drops a lot here. Plus since everyone has it, and the way Comcast does their service, you don't really get a consistent speed.
 
Because they've talked on a phone professionally before. lol.
Comcast's service drops a lot here. Plus since everyone has it, and the way Comcast does their service, you don't really get a consistent speed.


You just got to know how to deal with them. I have had Comcast here in Georgia for years! Yes, they have their issues. But there is always a solution.

1. Never settle for the Tier 1 tech support answer. If your are having connection issues, talk to a tier 2 and have them send a tech out. Tell them you want the signal coming into the house checked.

2. If you are a lucky person who lives in an area where Comcast has the rights in your community to be the only cable provider, this is a huge plus for you. There is someone in your county/community who handles the contracts for these companies. If you got a problem and Comcast or your other provider isn't solving it, call that person and you'll get a tech out the next day. It has worked every time here.

3. Ask for a refund on everything. Your service down for most of the day? Call them and demand credit for the day because of the outage.

You can get any problem fixed/ reduced cost. Just gotta stand firm and know there are other people to talk to other than those Tier 1 "representatives" who just read from a script and know how to send refresh signals.
 
weird, teksavvy in my area is cheaper by a fair amount (same price for me actually since i run a dry loop) but has literally more than 10x the bandwidth per month.
but thats exactly why they are trying to cap the bandwidth for indie ISPs to 25gb/month cause that would put them at the same range as bell/rogers

oh and im not sure about comcast, but yes its becoming a big problem everywhere now for big corporations to buy up sports franchises so they can basically do whatever they want with them to make a little bit more profit. not just franchises but buildings...this is happening all over north america

I'm not sure whether the cheapest option is sufficient speed.

I don't do anything other than game, Youtubez and occasionally stream NCAA or other sports stuff..
 

Latest posts

Back
Top