Need to upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

S!ck

Poster Extraordinaire
=(e)=
Joined
Jun 5, 2009
Messages
2,140
Alright so I have a desktop I want to change it to a high end gaming rig.. I will be honest here. I know how to turn my computer on... lol I'm not tech savvy and thats why I am here :).. I would like to know what would be priority to upgrade, links to upgrade equipment if possible.. that sorta thing. I am looking to enhance my system enough so that I can play any game out there on high settings with ease lol.. I do not have a choice but to upgrade the system I have so before you say just trash your system and get a different one I will let you know, that is not an option as its the wife that bought it recently and that won't go over well.. So if I can just change the parts inside then I'll be safe lol :(

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

My current specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630
OS: Windows 7 64 bit
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Motherboard: FOXCONN 2A92
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series (Diamond)
PSU: ATX 250w
 
What's your budget?

And honestly, you'd pretty much have to gut the thing, and I wouldn't recommend reusing that case.
 
aw man thats what I didn't want to hear lol.. I wanted to make it less noticeable as possible.. Think I'm stuck with the case. My budget however is limitless.
 
What case is it?
And why are you stuck with it?

How limitless? I can easily recommend you a $10,000 upgrade path. lol.
 
In order of priority?

450 - 600 Watt QUALITY Power Supply should be at the very top of your list.

I would then look into getting a nice $150-$300 gaming card. Using this list to help guide me depending on my budget.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...card-geforce-gtx-590-radeon-hd-6990,2879.html

Then maybe 4 more gigs of memory.

Depending on how much money you got left I could suggest a few more things like multi screens, ssd, or raid setup. etc. etc.
 
I duno some stupid HP case. I don't know how to find the model number.. but the reason I cannot change the case is that she would obviously know that I changed the system.. She just bought the system not too long ago and that's a path I do not want to venture down lol. When I say limitless I mean within reason :P I know I was planing on throwing down 500$ for a GTX 580, I'd be able to throw about the same amount into the rest of the system aswell. What do you think?
 
I wouldn't suggest it. Those HP cases are just garbage. You're just asking for heat issues.
 
I do want to add, your limited by your motherboard to just how cutting edge you can go. As it does not support sli/crossfire with only a single pci-e slot. I'd just throw in a fast card and a beefy PSU and maybe some more memory and just run it. She won't notice at all. :)
 
yeah I found a program called speccy to help determine what system I have due to the fact that I'm totally oblivious to this stuff and it is showing me my heat issues already lol

CPU: 24 degrees C.
MoBo: 22
Graphics card: 66.... lol
 
Well, you could always take it to a PC modding shop and have them
completely overhaul the case to make it better airflow and look neat.
... but that depends on if you have one in your area.

It would be the same case, just re-done.
And while you're there, you could have all the parts replaced too!
 
Yea, like Phobus said, your gonna have to watch the heat with a hot video card in there.

You could possibly upgrade the fans and add one or two to it. But the improvement is going to be somewhat negligible as these cases are not very breathable.

You can always just take the side off and get a little fan blowing on it during gameplay. Heck my side is off about half the pc's in my house.
 
Staying with the case you have it's very unlikely you'll get a 580 inside of it at all. Heat issues aside I'm pretty sure most HP cases don't have room inside for anything longer than 8.5" or so.
 
Alright screw it.. The case would need to go, the PSU would need to go, the Vid card would need to go.... Anyone have a line on a decent gaming rig that will be able to play BF3 on frostbite 2 when it comes out?? I don't care what she says.. I'm going to buy a gaming rig lol..

Edit: yeah for the GTX 580 you're right.. I don't think it would fit looking inside my case right now...
 
Do what I did.. go to the hardware store and get some holesaw bits, put duct tape over where I wanted holes, and drill a blow hole (up top) and a side hole for the video card. Removed duct tape and put up some wire grates and fans in a couple key locations.

Heck, its probably easier to just get a new case.
 
Think I'm going to leave it intact for her to use... I'll be starting fresh.. I'm looking at tiger direct but honestly.. its alot of foreign language to me lol
 
Well first go find you a good case you like..
Antec and Nzxt are a couple of the better cases.
I just built one using the NZXT m-59 gamma case, I love it.

Then pick out a powerful quality powersupply.

Then decide.. do I want two video cards or just one? and pick out a motherboard.

Then go from there.

I prefer Newegg to buy systems from. They are just much easier to deal with.
 
Think I'm going to leave it intact for her to use... I'll be starting fresh.. I'm looking at tiger direct but honestly.. its alot of foreign language to me lol

You have a couple of options:
  • If you don't mind building a PC from scratch, then use Newegg or
    Tiger Direct.
  • If you absolutely do not want to build a computer, then try out
    CyberPower PC or IBuyPower. (You help out eGO by clicking on the
    sponsor link here)
I'm not trying to say building it yourself is bad, but I don't want you to feel
it's your only option.
 
Thanks Mr.Game, I think it would be a disaster building my own as I do not know alot about this stuff.. lol I'll take a look at our sponsor sites ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top