Need an Opinion

Cakeman

EGO Addict
Joined
Jul 6, 2008
Messages
1,271
Hey guys, I'm soon going to make a few purchases and upgrade my computer. I wanted to get a second opinion and see what some other people think.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: Currently a Athlon II x4 630 2.8GHz, not upgrading.
GPU: Currently a 9500GT, Upgrading to a XFX Radeon HD 6870 (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6817295&CatId=3669
PSU: Currently have a 350w, upgrading to a 550w (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6327567&CatId=1079

Also, grabbing another 2 GB stick of RAM bringing it up to a total of 4GBs.

Final Specs:

Athlon II x4 630 2.8GHz
XFX Radeon HD 6870
4 GBs of RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium x64

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you guys think?

-Cakeman
 
That psu is no-beuno.

(It is bad in english too :p)

Newegg.ca has much better options like the CX430.

(also cheaper)
 
That psu is no-beuno.

(It is bad in english too :p)

Newegg.ca has much better options like the CX430.

(also cheaper)

Yeah, I was a little iffy on the PSU. Looked a little sketchy. I'm trying to save as much money as possible, the one you recommended looks good. The thing is though, I wanted to get all my stuff from tigerdirect.ca, because they have a retail store right by me. So I don't have to pay for shipping and stuff.

EDIT: Due to the fact the graphics card I'm getting requires 500w, is there any 550w PSU's you would recommend that are cheap? Much appreciated. ;)
 
Last edited:
Cakeman!!!

The tigerdirect.ca store is 5 minutes from where I live! The Markham one..

I'm going there to buy a PSU today. lol. What a coincidence.

I'm getting the CX600: Link.

I heard that while reliable, this line of PSU gives you 100W less than advertised.. I would choose a cheaper GPU in order to save money for a better PSU.

BTW... you may want to check out Canada Computers. They're cheaper. Link.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, I was a little iffy on the PSU. Looked a little sketchy. I'm trying to save as much money as possible, the one you recommended looks good. The thing is though, I wanted to get all my stuff from tigerdirect.ca, because they have a retail store right by me. So I don't have to pay for shipping and stuff.

EDIT: Due to the fact the graphics card I'm getting requires 500w, is there any 550w PSU's you would recommend that are cheap? Much appreciated. ;)

6870 does not need 500w. They only say it needs 500 becuase of people with crappy power supplies that cannot actually output their rated value.


here is my setup (folding rig):

i7 860 (4GHz)
6870
CX430

Runs perfectly fine, and my i7 probably uses a lot more power than your athlon.
 
6870 does not need 500w. They only say it needs 500 becuase of people with crappy power supplies that cannot actually output their rated value.


here is my setup (folding rig):

i7 860 (4GHz)
6870
CX430

Runs perfectly fine, and my i7 probably uses a lot more power than your athlon.

Hmm, sounds good. What do you think of this one? http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276574&
CatId=1079


@Captian: Haha, I'm heading over to the Burlington one, I suppose you know where that is seeing as your from Toronto. :laugh:
 
Does it have to be tigerdirect?

The only thing that ultra really makes that isn't total crap is the X3/x4 series. Everything else is pretty mediocre.
 
Does it have to be tigerdirect?

The only thing that ultra really makes that isn't total crap is the X3/x4 series. Everything else is pretty mediocre.

I would really, really, prefer tigerdirect. I don't want to pay shipping and all that, so I can just pick it up at the tigerdirect retail store.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top