Thoughts on the Alienware M11x?

probably just go with the i5, since it is pretty much the same proc
 
i got a desktop that was a custom build for $300 less than that and it has a 600 gig hard drive, a Radeon HD 6000 Series graphics card and 4 or 5 gigs of ram. i personally wouldn't go near alienware stuff cuz its so overpriced. my computer is proof that u can get something better for a cheaper price. idk the specs of ur computer, and i'm sure my graphics card aint the best, but still it works and i can play BC2 on it so i'm happy
 
1. Invent Wireless Electricity
2. Put Custom Built Desktop in Backpack
3. ???
4. Profit!

But In all seriousness, I know someone that has one, and its pretty awesome. Steep price, but a cool laptop nonetheless.
 
i'm not saying its bad i just think its kinda pointless to spend $300 more and thats having somone get the stuff for u and put it together. u can buy all the parts for a computer and put it together yourself for 75% off the price. its like American Eagle clothes; all the price is, is a Name Brand. so ur buying a $900-$1000 computer for $1500. alienwares are cool but just too expensive.
 
^if you can build a system as powerful, in that formfactor, for less $, i will accept your point

otherwise, it does not make sense at all.
 
Lol. I love it when you ask about an 11" laptop and someone says their desktop is more powerful. Good stuff.
 
Last edited:
If you need a small laptop to game on, go for it. If you have the option to build a desktop, do that instead. However by your post it seems you need the mobility and the M11x is definately one of the best choices to go.
 
think again. Alienware = overpriced.

overpriced is a moot point when talking about 11 inch gaming notebooks. alienware is the only company that makes an 11incher worthy of running games on, so there are no pricing comparisons.

and the price is not astronomical, starting at 1000 US.

haters gonna hate.

-Blue
 
Last edited:
What would you recommend instead?

Self build. I had my PC self build, costed around 2000?. I checked an alienware for like twice the price. I have a core i7, 6 gigs ram, a giant ass case, a 5970 GPU from AMD, ... Alien ware got: core i5 sandy bridge, 4 gigs ram, a small case without fans, a nvidia GTX 280 >_>...
 
Self build. I had my PC self build, costed around 2000€. I checked an alienware for like twice the price. I have a core i7, 6 gigs ram, a giant ass case, a 5970 GPU from AMD, ... Alien ware got: core i5 sandy bridge, 4 gigs ram, a small case without fans, a nvidia GTX 280 >_>...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the issue isn't that the OP wants a powerful rig -- it seems to me that he wants an 11" notebook for travel/work/general portability [and still be able to game] purposes, which is not something a desktop is capable of. It can game, but you can't really lug a desktop everywhere you go.

EDIT: i7 vs i5: without knowing much about how Intel works their chipsets, I don't think 1MB more L3 is going to do you much good when the rest of the rig is probably not going to be able to match that speed anyway. That's just what I think, though. I'd go for the i5.
 
Last edited:
What would you recommend instead?

depends, are u looking for a laptop or a desktop. what i did for my desktop is go to a computer repair shop that will order the stuff for me, and build if for a good price. with laptops i'd stick with what ya got cuz idk if they'd do that well with laptops. its all up to what u want exactly, but if ur into the laptop gaming then go with the alienware. those laptops are truly the only reason i still like they're computers
 
Ah, Alienware threads. I'll say this much: Alienwares are great, but the price tag is too much. I can get a cheaper and much more powerful Desktop custom build then Alienware. Check out OriginPC.com. It's an amazing company. Why? Because they're the REAL Alienware. Alienware used to be a private company until Dell bought them out, making the Alienware's more expensive and less reliable(Not completely). Most Alienware employees branched out and made they're own private business. OriginPC is not owned by ANYONE(Dell, Intel, etc...)
 
Ah, Alienware threads. I'll say this much: Alienwares are great, but the price tag is too much. I can get a cheaper and much more powerful Desktop custom build then Alienware. Check out OriginPC.com. It's an amazing company. Why? Because they're the REAL Alienware. Alienware used to be a private company until Dell bought them out, making the Alienware's more expensive and less reliable(Not completely). Most Alienware employees branched out and made they're own private business. OriginPC is not owned by ANYONE(Dell, Intel, etc...)

Alienware still is essentially their own entity. After dell bought them, Alienware leadership was kept in place and Alienware internal policies and policy making was largely undisturbed. There were a couple of advantages though, including wider warranty support, cheaper parts acquisition, international shipping ability, and a few other minor perks.

The "Alienware after bought out is garbage" argument is quite a weak one, seeing as their m17x and m15x laptops came after the merger, and are the best products from Alienware (in terms of quality and popularity) to date.

-Blue
 
Ah, Alienware threads. I'll say this much: Alienwares are great, but the price tag is too much. I can get a cheaper and much more powerful Desktop custom build then Alienware.

I agree. I build my desktops custom. However, I'm not so sure there are good alternatives to the laptops; at least not the m11x. I'm also looking at the m14x, which looks sweeeet, but apparently the fan is really loud and it shuts down when trying to game on battery power. The fan I can deal with if it's only loud when gaming but the shutdowns--I'm waiting on a response from Dell/AW.
 
I have an alienware btw, best laptop i have ever used.

most people that hate on them probably have never owned one.
 
If I were buying a laptop now, I would get this one. Yes, there are powerful laptops out there for less money but they are much bigger than I want (11 inches is a great size). Getting a gaming laptop makes a lot of sence to me now since my desktop is not portable at all (it weighs a ton since i put water in it) and I have been looking into it more since I am spending more time away from home. It could help your decision if you really research some other laptops and compare the specs (and prices if you are buget constrained). I have done much of the homework already and can say that they alienware (though pricey) is among the top laptops.

Also, Ill admit to being an Alienware Desktop hater :P
 

Latest posts

Back
Top