So I have a lot of hard drives...

I wouldn't even use a dock. If it's all storage, just get a single 2TB+ drive and use the one open 3.5" slot in your case. If you start running out of room again, replace one of your other drives with something larger. If you're honestly using more than 4TB on a regular basis, you should think about designing your next rig with storage in mind. Getting a larger tower with a mobo that supports all the drives you'll need with direct SATA connections.
 
I wouldn't even use a dock. If it's all storage, just get a single 2TB+ drive and use the one open 3.5" slot in your case. If you start running out of room again, replace one of your other drives with something larger. If you're honestly using more than 4TB on a regular basis, you should think about designing your next rig with storage in mind. Getting a larger tower with a mobo that supports all the drives you'll need with direct SATA connections.

You don't have to keep anything internal than the drive running the operating system, if you don't want to. Having an external storage solution may be beneficial if you're planning on running a larger storage array.

I don't know many people that have upwards of 4TB+ in their home computers, and those that do are usually those involved in some sort of IT or media job like graphic design, video editing, etc. Most of their drive storage is external in RAID arrays that are connected to the computer in use, rather than internally.

4TB+ is still considered a lot for a personal computer. Most people will be okay with a drive that is 1TB or lower.
 
You don't have to keep anything internal than the drive running the operating system, if you don't want to. Having an external storage solution may be beneficial if you're planning on running a larger storage array.

I don't know many people that have upwards of 4TB+ in their home computers, and those that do are usually those involved in some sort of IT or media job like graphic design, video editing, etc. Most of their drive storage is external in RAID arrays that are connected to the computer in use, rather than internally.

4TB+ is still considered a lot for a personal computer. Most people will be okay with a drive that is 1TB or lower.

Did you read OP? He's already got at least 1TB and I don't really know what he's using it for. (I recall he said he works in music media doo-hickies a couple weeks ago). Still, even though 4TB+ may seem overkill to "most people" he is not "most people" by definition. My suggestion is not for Joe Blow who accidentally googled this thread, it's for prisoner. Because he's the one that asked. If I was him, working with that amount of storage, I would just buy a single storage drive and forget about enclosures. Even if I had to for any reason get more storage than that, internal storage is still an option to a certain point. That point has most certainly not been reached yet.
 
Did you read OP? He's already got at least 1TB and I don't really know what he's using it for. (I recall he said he works in music media doo-hickies a couple weeks ago). Still, even though 4TB+ may seem overkill to "most people" he is not "most people" by definition. My suggestion is not for Joe Blow who accidentally googled this thread, it's for prisoner. Because he's the one that asked. If I was him, working with that amount of storage, I would just buy a single storage drive and forget about enclosures. Even if I had to for any reason get more storage than that, internal storage is still an option to a certain point. That point has most certainly not been reached yet.

I wasn't responding to the original post.
 
Back
Top