Would like to mod my case to be able to toggle the fan LEDs

dRastic1337

Forum Fiend
Joined
Mar 11, 2011
Messages
583
I have four lighted fans in my desktop computer case. I really like them, but because I have to share the basement with my brother (our "room") and he goes to sleep far before I do, I have to turn off my computer because the lights keep him awake.

I would love to mod my case so that I could turn all of the lights on or off with a power switch of some sort. That way I could actually keep the lights, but have them off when my brother is sleeping.

I've read about something like this before, but a soldering gun was required; I'd really rather not buy one, though (I'm not sure I'd be able to do it right, haha). If anyone knows of a no-soldering-gun-required method of what I want to accomplish, I would appreciate your sharing it :) I'm kind of assuming I could just cut the cords to the LED parts of the fans and attach some sort of switch there that would just make or break the current, effectively keeping the lights on or off, but I'm not sure if something like that is actually possible. :\ Another downside is that I would have to turn each fan's LEDs on and off one by one.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them :)
 
I have four lighted fans in my desktop computer case. I really like them, but because I have to share the basement with my brother (our "room") and he goes to sleep far before I do, I have to turn off my computer because the lights keep him awake.

I would love to mod my case so that I could turn all of the lights on or off with a power switch of some sort. That way I could actually keep the lights, but have them off when my brother is sleeping.

I've read about something like this before, but a soldering gun was required; I'd really rather not buy one, though (I'm not sure I'd be able to do it right, haha). If anyone knows of a no-soldering-gun-required method of what I want to accomplish, I would appreciate your sharing it :) I'm kind of assuming I could just cut the cords to the LED parts of the fans and attach some sort of switch there that would just make or break the current, effectively keeping the lights on or off, but I'm not sure if something like that is actually possible. : Another downside is that I would have to turn each fan's LEDs on and off one by one.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them :)

I had the same problem with my girlfriend at the time, in which we are happily married now.

I had to cut all the wires that were apart of the LED lights, buy a trigger switch, which is sold at computer mod shops or on the Internet, and re wire them to the switch. When the switch was "On", so were the lights. When the switch was "Off", so were the lights. The fans always ran.

You could always just buy an already modded case and swap over the internals. Keep everything intact and unscrew the motherboard, it should take you about a minute or two. A switch modded case is maybe 50 bucks for a mid size tower and 65 for a full size tower, if you don't get ripped off.
 
@that_guy:

100dk.png


Haha, just how I was seeing it. I want to be able to flip the lights on and off. Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but it sounds like you're just suggesting that I put paper over the fans to block the light (thus restricting air flow).

I had to cut all the wires that were apart of the LED lights
Alright, I have two wires for each fan - one red and one black. How do I know which goes to the fan and which goes to the LEDs? I'm assuming black is LEDs, but I'd rather not take a chance by cutting one or the other :P

I'm a bit broke right now and I can't afford a new case, so that's not really an option. I like the case I have now, anyways; I just wanted to mod the LED fans inside it.

I think for now, if someone could tell me which wire goes to the LEDs, I'll just cut them for now and add switches in later.

Thank you :)
 
@that_guy:

100dk.png


Haha, just how I was seeing it. I want to be able to flip the lights on and off. Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but it sounds like you're just suggesting that I put paper over the fans to block the light (thus restricting air flow).


Alright, I have two wires for each fan - one red and one black. How do I know which goes to the fan and which goes to the LEDs? I'm assuming black is LEDs, but I'd rather not take a chance by cutting one or the other :P

I'm a bit broke right now and I can't afford a new case, so that's not really an option. I like the case I have now, anyways; I just wanted to mod the LED fans inside it.

I think for now, if someone could tell me which wire goes to the LEDs, I'll just cut them for now and add switches in later.

Thank you :)

GRRRRRRR. Is u case see trough? If see truough coveuh panel wit papuh!!!! >:(
 
You could also do something else. Assuming you like that you have light, you could always replace the fans and buy a few cold cathode kits. They come with a switch and if you can get the sound activated module you can always play music and have it pulse to the music :3 Just another option/suggestion.
 
@that_guy: Yes, my case is see-through. I just don't think covering it with paper will work, though. All of the light would be blocked only if I covered the entire case with paper, which would restrict the fans' airflow. Plus it would look weird D:

@Celtic: I've never heard of those before. I looked some up, and I think they may be a viable option :D

I read somewhere that the fans' lights aren't connected directly to a power cable, but instead they are controlled by a circuit board in the fan (therefore I wouldn't be able to just cut a wire and have the lights off). I'll have to look at one of my fans sometime to see if I can get the lights to turn off, because cold cathode kits may be the route I'm going to take :)
 

Latest posts

Back
Top